Main Menu

Re: Giving it away to keep it

Started by 2000AD Online, 22 November, 2001, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Don't know where the title slogan comes from, but it's the theme of my brilliant suggestion.  I think 2000AD and the Megazine should send out a form with each prog, entitling the subscriber to send the next issue as a gift to someone.  An English magazine I read does this and it's quite addictive giving copies of something you like reading to people you like, all fro the price of posting the form or mailing it to the magazine.
    It would of course cost a fortune, but I think it would pay it's way in new subcscriptions.  Anyway, this is mainly for any droids listening in.

cheerio,

Floyd

Wake

Sometimes 2000AD overprints an issue so they can give loads away (e.g. at conventions or to send to lapsed subscribers). What I'd like to see is the occasional full issue made available online. For example, since 2000AD is currently doing quarterly relaunches I'd like to see those 4 issues appear on the website in full at the same time as they appear in the shops. It might slightly reduce the sales of that issue, but should increase the potential sales for the rest of the quarter (assuming that the stories which start in the relaunch are good enough for people to care what happens next)

Wake

Thread Zero

How about each week's prog online too?

scojo saving ?1.40 each week for shooshi's cat food

Wake

>How about each week[backslash]'s prog online too?
>
Would you be prepared to pay, say, 50p per prog for a virtual subscription...i.e. access to progs online as per the thrillviewer or as downloadable pdf files as per borderline?

Wake

Link: http://borderline.mediahall.co.uk/" target="_blank">Borderline

Matt

If you really want to see how on-line comics should be done, then can I suggest you go to www.marvel.com and download their dot.comic viewer. You can currently download just under 100 various Marvel titles from Spiderman to X-Men, all of which are viewed in a Flash interface which also gives you access to character portfolios, on-line shopping etc. All of which a beautifully animated with pop-up panels. I would love to see Dredd like this. And it's all free. Cool.

MATT

Thread Zero

I would always prefer to read it in my hands.

I think you can't beat that.

I think it would seem more impersonal reading it from a monitor. Although you can print it off I suppose.

scojo

Thread Zero

Hey that sounds cool Matt.

Ta for the info.

scojo

nathan

How do they pay the creators or staff? Or cover the cost of the bandwidth? Is it plastered with ads?

I have to ask because I don't want to go near Marvel stuff unless I really have to.

Except Banner, that looked good.

Nathan, convert to Corbenism

Matt

All the issues on-line are just conversions of current titles. So you get the same adverts that you do in the comics. But you really should go an at least look at Ultimate Spiderman & Ultimate X-Men. Every issue that has been published  is currently on-line to download & keep. I'm not really a fan of superheros but I'm just a sucker for Stan Lees characters. much better than what's on offer at DC at the moment.

MATT (starting a comic war)

Wake

I'm looking at Ultimate X-Men #10 Part 2 and every time I turn a page I have to wait while the advert explodes in my face. Then I get to see the top half of the page. A click gets me the bottom half then I have to turn the page for a new advert. I hate it!

Wake

Leigh S

..But it would be bloody awful quality compared to the 'shop' copy  -  I say OY! NO!  Lets not have any creeping move towards on-line 2000AD - I've got a collection to keep up here!!  

fraston

The ads are active as well as the pages of art. also, marvel must have a budget allowance for this as promotion.
the funny thing is, it almost worked on me. i almost bought some xmen stuff. but iw as already buying banner and i haveta say, that no matter how free it is, the flash-online-comic experience pales into insignificance when placed alongside the real thing.

can't beat real comics.

fraston

Thread Zero