Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I read Ant Wars in an extreme edition a few years back. As a child I had been vaguely aware of it and it was the kind of thing that put me off 2000AD before I saw the light. After reading it, my feelings were very much "is that it?".

On this collection as a whole, I am swaying between being very excited to thinking how am I going to find the time and storage for it. Not to mention the money. There are things I already have and won't double dip on (I'm not counting the original Progs in saying that) and other things I would buy, most notably Nemesis if it had colour centre spreads restored ( if you count the Deviant Edition that will be a treble dip), and stuff I only have in Prog format I could be tempted to buy e.g.  Bits of Slaine I don't have GNs of, Halo Jones, DR and Quinch, Ace Trucking, Savage, Nikolai Dante ( the ones currently not in print).

JaHawkDroid

The collection itself comes at a perfect time for me to be honest. I started reading Dredd with the Mega collection, and 2000AD with Prog 1999/2000, and have only bought 2 Agency Files and stickleback, and a futureshock collection, outside of JDMC & Progs. So this is basically a dream come true for me at a perfect time - before I risk seriously double-dipping.

That is assuming, of course, that the 2000AD collection won't duplicate anything found in JDMC? Perhaps more recent series like Enceladus or Every Empire could find a home in the 2000AD set.

By the by, has anyone looked at the spine art by the Langley Droid? Does it appear strange to anyone else that Dredd & Alpha are so off-centre? Almost as if they are planning an extension already... (getting in early on the speculation here)

Tomwe

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 28 February, 2017, 01:07:18 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 28 February, 2017, 01:04:14 PM
Oh man we have been gagging for this since the launch of the JDMC. I really hope it can be timed to launch at the conclusion of the existing one since I've just signed up to Transformers. These were both basically my gateway into comics fandom and so I want to be able to enjoy them all without breaking the bank!

Such great news!

JDMC is due to wrap around February next year, so I would expect 2ADUC to launch August/January depending on which partwork cycle they aim for.

Didn't realise they launched partworks in August, but think the Transformers one tested in the latter half of the year before launching Dec/Jan, so maybe that could happen.

As far as what I'd like to see, the website has the classics! Chuffed to see DR & Quinch, Shakara & starting with Horned God is genius. I see Stickleback in the site too, Ace Trucking, Zombo, Rogue. I'd want to see Chris Weston's Indigo Prime for sure! Bad Company too! Whoop!

I'm one of those lapsed readers who returned to the prog thanks to the JDMC, and luckily I haven't gotten around to purchasing too many collections of classic runs (bar Mek Files 1&2 and Zenith ).

I will definitely be buying, unless they start this summer in which case I may be in trouble.

NapalmKev

A 2000AD partwork sounds good, but I'd like to see more than just the obvious stuff (Slaine/Dante). I'd hope that some of the Summer Offensive strips are included, although I'm probably in a minority on that one.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Magnetica

So combine this with Rebellion's planned reprint schedule for the classic UK comics they have just acquired the rights for and there will literally be no time to sleep it's all looking very promising.

IndigoPrime

Someone needs a slap if they don't put some kind of series indicator on the spines, though. That's the one thing the Marvel collections did well over the Dredd one.

robert_ellis

I love the idea of this series - particularly if we get treated to the text pieces we've had in the MegaCollection. I'm sure (like last time) that the spine is a placeholder - it's garish and beautifully bonkers but I'd rather see more characters like Halo & Slaine. I love the character graphics - little has been given away in terms of how the series is split up. Will we see the entirety of story runs or greatest hits?

Dolman

Can't subscribe from France :( Looks like I'm going to pay twice the money via Amazon/eBay :D But it's worth it.

Mardroid

Hmm. I don't have the space or finance for this and it would involve some double dipping. It's tempting though, as these volumes are so nice and likely I'd just sell older volumes of material I already own, if I got these.

I may very well get the first volume though. I don't have Slaine: The Horned God, and what a bargain for that price!

That was my introduction to Slaine via Lewisham library.

Steve Green

I might have reconsidered the typeface/spacing on that all caps clint langley caption in the video, BTW.

James Stacey

Is Dredd going to be included ? I dont really want to quintuple dip on stuff :)

Steve Green

Well there's some Dredd imagery in there.

Maybe stuff that fell through the cracks/didn't fit in the Mega Collection?

Still a way off though, it's still at the testing phase.

Timothy

There is a page from the Dredd/PJ gingerbread man story on the website, and that has definitely already been in the Mega Collection.

Steve Green

I suspect that's just placeholder, it still has to run through the test phase. I seem to recall with the Mega Collection there was the offer of getting the test run copies replaced when it went to the full run?

James Stacey

nah you just get the new copies as well.