Main Menu

Golden Boy

Started by JohnCKirk, Today at 10:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnCKirk

(This is a copy of an email that I sent to the Megazine letters page in Apr 2023. It was never printed, so I'll put it here instead.)

Now that Rebellion has the rights to the Fleetway back catalogue, I'd be keen to re-read "Golden Boy". More specifically, I'd be interested to read an article with some behind the scenes info.

When I started reading "Eagle and Tiger", Jamie Speed had been blackmailed to take part in a dangerous competition, because his agent claimed to have proof that he was responsible for his parents' death. Each time Jamie completed an event, the agent would give him another piece of the photo, which fitted together like a jigsaw. However, the story had a change of direction (with Jamie getting a new agent), and we never saw the completed photo. I assume that the artist must have drawn the full picture, so that they could refer to it when they added each new section. Is there a copy in your archives? Maybe the writer/editor from the time could comment on their original plans?

As a more general point, I think that most of your articles tend to be focussed on a particular creator, spanning their career. I'd like to see some articles which are focussed on a particular story, particularly if it was something that only ran for a year or two (rather than the multiple decades of Dredd).