Main Menu

Upcoming Gigs

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

So we still unsure of when live music will once again be part of our lives, but the bands are making plans for next year.

Just booked in blues guitar slinger Samantha Fish for next March in amongst the rescheduled gigs from this year.

Social distancing and sweaty rooms of packed bodies will be an interesting one to solve in the coming months...  :think:

Barrington Boots

On my way back from London after seeing Obituary last night. First gig in some time and I'm seriously feeling my age this time - back in bits, aching neck, sore cheekbone from am errant elbow (i think) - tiger balm time when I get home

The gig was fantastic though, no feeling like it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 24 February, 2023, 09:58:46 AMThe gig was fantastic though, no feeling like it.

I went to two gigs* last year, the first since The Before Times™ and, although various lockdowns have somewhat exacerbated my pre-existing discomfort in large groups of people, I'd forgotten just how much I'd missed live music. Next up will be Eisbrecher in May, which I imagine is going to be really fucking loud.

*Both Fields of the Nephilim, as it happened. Booked tickets to see them at the Whitby Gothic Weekend because, when the gig was announced, it looked like it might be their only UK date that year. Then they announced a mini-tour in December playing the whole of the sublime 'The Nephilim' album, right through, in order... and I couldn't not.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Barrington Boots

Sounds like we have a passion for different music but similar feelings there Jim.

I think know what you mean about crowds.. this was the biggest show I've been to since lockdown (Electric Ballroom) and I was a bit twitchy beforehand as I'd not done anything big for a few years. Even going in I was thinking hmmm, maybe I've made a mistake with this one, but it all melted away. I'm really glad I went, because live music is the absolute best thing.

Colin YNWA

Well not upcoming but went to see The Go! Team Friday gone at the Leadmill Sheffield and it was an ASTONISHING gig. Widely hailed by all in attendance - well me Jim and Dave... you know Jim and Dave don't you... anyway widely hailed as one of the BEST gigs ever. I mean top 10 of all time and I've been to a lot of gigs as I'm very old.

I mean none of us actually had a top 10 gigs ever nailed down BUT if we did that gig would DEFO be on there.

Absolutely amazing show and the atmosphere was astonishing!

If you get the chance go see um.

I last saw then like 19 years ago at Glastonbury and they were a bit rubbish live then... they've used the time well let me tell you!

sheridan

Colin - reading between the lines, you liked the gig?

Same as you, this isn't upcoming, but we went to see Skating Polly last weekend.  Next up is Electric Callboy, followed by (much later in the year) Lord of the Lost.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Going to see the Dogs D'Amour in Edinburgh on 7th April.

On their 40th anniversary tour. FFS.
Lock up your spoons!

Barrington Boots

I'm pretty sure I saw The Go! Team years and years ago with an old girlfriend. Not my thing but very cool to hear they're still going.

I've just got tickets to see Jungle Rot in a couple of months - last time I saw them in the UK there were only three paying customers in a pretty big venue (Dudley JBs, for old Midlands gig-goers). This time they're at the much smaller and more suitable Black Heart in London.

sheridan

Should have mentioned it a little earlier, but we saw Electric Callboy (supported by Finnish band Blind Channel and Berlin band Future Palace) at the Hammersmith Apollo at the weekend (should have been the Brixton Academy the night before, but that got shifted due to the Academy still being closed).

sintec

Following the trend of recently seen as opposed to upcoming.

Caught Benefits at the weekend. A friend raved about their show in Manchester a few days earlier and he wasn't wrong. If you like your music noisy and confrontational then you need to see this band. It's like Sleaford Mods crossed with industrial noise. https://benefitstheband.bandcamp.com/track/flag-3

Jim_Campbell

Seeing Eisbrecher on Tuesday. Really quite stoked about it... although I'm utterly baffled (whilst being simultaneously pathetically grateful) as to why they're bothering. Notwithstanding the horrendous expense/hassle of getting not one, but two, bands from Germany into the UK post-Brexit, a little checking suggests that the venue (O2 Islington, capacity ~800) is less than half the size of the smallest venue they're playing in mainland Europe, while most of their German dates are 12-15000 capacity arenas.

MumboJimbo

I'm also a fan of Gong and Kavus Torabi. The modern Gong line-up with Kavus recently were Steve Hillage's backing band for his recent tour, and I saw them in Bristol recently and they were fantastic.

Speaking of Kavus Torabi, he was briefly in a band called The Monsoon Bassoon in the 90s and they did a great album called I Dig Your Voodoo. Well worth a listen.

Going to see Richard Dawson in London tomorrow, which I'm very much looking forward to.

MumboJimbo

Oops. That's embarrassing. I've just replied to a post at the bottom of the first page of this thread (from 2014!) thinking it was the last posting.  :-[

I guess I'm still getting used to the forum interface on my phone!  :lol:

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 May, 2023, 07:51:32 PMSeeing Eisbrecher on Tuesday. Really quite stoked about it... although I'm utterly baffled (whilst being simultaneously pathetically grateful) as to why they're bothering. Notwithstanding the horrendous expense/hassle of getting not one, but two, bands from Germany into the UK post-Brexit, a little checking suggests that the venue (O2 Islington, capacity ~800) is less than half the size of the smallest venue they're playing in mainland Europe, while most of their German dates are 12-15000 capacity arenas.

Have you been to the O2 Academy before?  Tip - it gets hot in there, make sure you aren't in the bit with a low ceiling as *yuk* sweat condenses and drips down!

It's been a long time since I saw Eisbrecher - seeing as I haven't been to Germany since 2014 it must have been at least that long!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 04 May, 2023, 03:09:23 PMHave you been to the O2 Academy before?  Tip - it gets hot in there, make sure you aren't in the bit with a low ceiling as *yuk* sweat condenses and drips down!

No... it's my first time at Islington, so the tip is very much appreciated!

QuoteIt's been a long time since I saw Eisbrecher - seeing as I haven't been to Germany since 2014 it must have been at least that long!

Quite jealous! :) I think this might be their first UK gig, so I couldn't really pass it up. Support from Maerzfeld, who aren't top my of pick of NDH bands, but they have their moments.

(It's demonstrative of Rammstein's complete dominance of the NDH scene that two of its current bands, Maerzfeld and Heldmaschine, started life as Rammstein cover/tribute acts...)