Main Menu

Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare

Started by Richard, 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

I'd have to re-read, as I may have missed a detail, but surely DAbnett could eat his cake and have it too here:

-- This episode never comes out and says "everyone died in that battle", only that they all died (again, I'd have to re-read to be certain) and that Lawson now keeps watch over them.

-- Assume Munce won, but that the Zhind intervention stopped them butchering everyone in town. Between that battle, the subsequent years and the Zhind/human war flaring up again everyone but Lawson could have died, but that would be a huge span of time and not quite the "oh, everyone died then and I've been here alone since" that you're being lead to believe in this episode.

-- So, Dan gets to show us the tragic, lonely, fitting end of Lawson's life watching over her town, but still bounce back to show us that the town - and some of the key characters - survived the battle with Munce and the town lived on, for a while at least.

That said, it would be entirely in keeping with his work on other strips (and other fiction, like Gaunt's Ghosts etc.) to have what appears to have happened be exactly what did happen, and for Lawson to have lived on alone watching over her dead friends for decades.

It is interesting that both Kingdom and Lawless seem to have come/be coming to, if not an end, then at least a firm pause. With Brink coming to some kind of a climax, it makes me wonder if Dan is preparing to take a break from the prog/Meg for a bit. He's working on the next Gaunt book, knee-deep in the final stages of the Horus Heresy series, has the next Eisenhorn/Bequin book on the go, and all of the other work he has running. Perhaps he's just setting things carefully aside in a way that won't leave too many dangling storylines in case it's a year or two before he can pick back up with other commitments?

Magnetica

I seem to have read two conflicting stories about Brink - one where this is the last series and one where it isn't and that there will be stories for years to come, set in that world but not necessarily featuring Kurtis.

IndigoPrime

Assuming it's not a feint, my reading of it wasn't like Amstor's: it's that the massive mek crushed the town and everyone in it. Lawson got away, because she was in the desert at the time.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2019, 04:32:41 PM
Assuming it's not a feint, my reading of it wasn't like Amstor's: it's that the massive mek crushed the town and everyone in it. Lawson got away, because she was in the desert at the time.

Yup - entirely possible I misread the other day, so I'll have to have another read through. Perhaps I was just looking for some way to have this not be the fate of all those great characters  :)

broodblik

Maybe it is just a dream and Lawson wakes up in the middle of the shower (I mean battle) or this is it the end is near !
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Thinking about it, if that massive mek moved at 3mph, you'd think some of them would have, you know, got out of the bloody way.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2019, 04:50:07 PM
Thinking about it, if that massive mek moved at 3mph, you'd think some of them would have, you know, got out of the bloody way.

Maybe it played out like that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, with the mek never seeming to get closer in every cut, then all of a sudden it was right on top of town?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2019, 04:50:07 PM

Maybe it picked up speed going downhill. Or the whole population developed Prometheusitis, the chief symptom of which is the inability to run in any direction other than a straight line in front of an imminent threat.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Just read the floppie and its a good read. Not necessarily the most original take on the Normandy Landings but entertaining and enough to wet the appetite for the idea of more if these significent vignettes from this most significent events. Such a great use of the floppie.

DrJomster

Quote from: broodblik on 16 January, 2019, 07:05:15 PM
I am not Boo Cook biggest fan but his cover is excellent.

It's a superb cover! Excellent work, that droid!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrJomster

Just read the rest of the Meg bar the floppy. Rather good, eh?

I really liked the article about upcoming talent for 2019. More of that please, Tharg. Also. Glad to hear there's more Misty later in the year.

Very intrigued to see how next month's Lawless turns out. The art was gorgeous, as always.

Also, I wish I could draw like Jake Lynch.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

Just finished the floppy so it was good. If you are like me a World War 2 sucker then you must get the next 4 megs. I like the concept that the floppy contains new stories rather than reprinted material. But please do no postpone Mind Wars again (this is due after the WW2 floppies)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Absolutely stonking Meg this month, with almost everything being on great form. One major niggle though is the printing error in the floppy. The reprint of the opening page towards the end of the book, with the speech bubbles from whatever *should* have been in its place, made it quite difficult to work out what is going on. Would have thought, what with this being quite a big thing for Rebellion, we may yet see the missing page printed next month though! (Or perhaps a corrected floppy reprint bagged with the next Meg as well. Nah, that won't happen.)

SBT

WhizzBang

About Lawless - I am sure that it was hinted that Lawson might not really be who she claims to be. The man who was a psychic prisoner said stuff to this effect and it was also noted at one point that she doesn't use a Lawgiver because her hand print would not be recognised as a judge. At one point in the strip someone turned up who claimed to be the real Lawson but this was then dismissed somehow. Has this identity thing been forgotten?