Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Rog69 on 17 February, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
I downloaded the CAD file for it free from Grabcad, a community where people upload cool 3d models they have made ... in a few years time you will be able to print anything from an action figure to a fully functional assault rifle. Interesting (and slightly scary) times ahead.

Interesting and very scary: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21639015

von Boom

Quote from: sauchie on 02 March, 2013, 10:35:00 PM

Very, very scary indeed. I hope that company is charged the first time their blueprint is used to murder someone.

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 03 March, 2013, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 02 March, 2013, 10:35:00 PM

Very, very scary indeed. I hope that company is charged the first time their blueprint is used to murder someone.

Now now, blueprints don't kill people...   ;)

As ever I direct all interested parties to Bruce Sterling's short 'The Kiosk', where the implications of this most exciting and inevitable tech are teased out in entertaining fashion. 

You can download/listen to Starship Sofa reading here: http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/9/5/59545457c29a5966/StarShipSofa_Aural_Delights_No_116_Bruce_Sterling.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01ce8534d3c85ee24b&c_id=1546038

Steve Green

There are YouTube videos of people shooting with these - they usually fall apart pretty quickly.

Very scary.

strontium71

I wonder if an actual working gun made from this plastic can ever be smuggled onto a plane? Surely it will bypass the metal detectors , and if it comes in multiple sections , might not even be recognised? It'd only have to be used a couple of times so it won't matter if it breaks up eventually.
...because I hate you.

Steve Green

I, Cosh

Quote from: strontium71 on 03 March, 2013, 11:57:20 AM
I wonder if an actual working gun made from this plastic can ever be smuggled onto a plane? Surely it will bypass the metal detectors , and if it comes in multiple sections , might not even be recognised? It'd only have to be used a couple of times so it won't matter if it breaks up eventually.
You'd still need bullets. Unless it was more of a pellet gun.

<Awaits inevitable dressing down for using incorrect terminology.>
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 March, 2013, 12:19:05 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 03 March, 2013, 11:57:20 AM

You'd still need bullets. Unless it was more of a pellet gun. <Awaits inevitable dressing down for using incorrect terminology.>

Aye, that occurred to me during Die Harder, when McClane explains that the glock pistol one of the goons is carrying is made of plastic and can circumvent metal detectors. As well as the ammunition, the firing mechanism is still going to be metal, but I suppose if someone pulled a non-firing plastic replica they'd knocked up on their Epson no-one on the plane would be particularly keen to test the validity of that logic.

It's not really the practicality of the weapon that gives folk power in that situation, it's the fear, uncertainty and compliance which they provoke - Mohamed Atta's lot took over three planes using craft knives, and there's nothing to stop anyone doing the same thing today with a shank made from sharpened plastic. Trying to prevent folk from being cocks is ultimately futile, because if they're really determined to be cocks they'll find a way.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 03 March, 2013, 12:53:42 PMTrying to prevent folk from being cocks is ultimately futile, because if they're really determined to be cocks they'll find a way.

The Ewoks taught us this.

Tiplodocus

I figured out that I can "herd" the most annoying of our three cats out of a room using the "laser" site on one of my Nerf guns.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

I worked out how to get that dumb dinosaur guy to let me chase his magic dot for hours.  Every now and then I pretend to chase it out of the room, wait a bit and go back in, and he starts all over again!

IAMTHESYSTEM

I just saw something that looked suspiciously like a Car Transporter signalling to turn up a humped back bridge which I know is far too small for it. The driver flashed his lights to let me through so it won't be me that get's stuck behind it.

Bloody Sat Nav eh?!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

judda fett

I found Savage Sword Of Conan vol 1 in my locker at work the other day. It'd been there since 18.08.2010- the date on the Waterstones receipt with it. That's probably one up from 'sort of okay'.

Rog69

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 04 March, 2013, 07:26:15 PM
Bloody Sat Nav eh?!

A couple of miles from where I live there is a low bridge in the middle of a double bend, there are five warning signs in the run up to it and then there is an island where trucks can turn around just before the bridge.

We get at least one lorry a week that manages to drive all the way up to the bridge and then causes chaos trying to reverse back up to the island.

Is there not a truckers sat-nav available that has stuff like this marked on it?

COMMANDO FORCES