Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Andrew Mitchell has resigned; score one to the plebs. Actually, should the fact that the Police Federation have demonstrated their ability to bring down a government minister during pay negotiations be a cause for celebration? I wonder what other public sector workers will get the heave so cops can maintain their current terms and conditions and above-inflation wage increases?

COMMANDO FORCES

Old Tankie

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 October, 2012, 08:38:55 PM
Imagine my delight when I discovered that -- should my work ever dry up and leave me unemployed -- my NI contributions don't count for benefit purposes. That's right: I pay tax and NI; I make a net contribution to the UK economy because I'm bringing overseas currencies into the country, and my NI DOESN'T FUCKING COUNT towards benefit.

Bollocks.

Jim

Is that right, Jim?  I thought Class II Contributions (assuming you're self-employed) covered a range of benefits but not contributory-based JSA.  But you'd still be able to claim non-contributory-based JSA.  Still, if I've got this wrong, I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here willing to shoot me down!!

Jim_Campbell

I can't claim contribution-based JSA with Class 2 and Class 4 NI -- only Class 1 counts. I am eligible for income-based JSA, but you'll note the word "income" in that description, which means that I'm automatically disqualified because my wife works. This would not be the case if'd had the exact same career over the last few years as an employee of someone else.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

PENSIONERS WEED SELVES

'I am sure you were doing good things in Kenya with your drugs money, whether that was to appease your consciences I can only speculate.'

Appease their consciences? As far as I can tell, the only reason these two had to look to their consciences was that they were supplying a local dealer, who may or may not have been involved in nasty dealer shit. Of course, the only reason they were mixing with that type of person, and the only reason that kind of person was interested in selling their produce was because dope's illegal and there's widespread demand for it ... I think I see a solution.

TordelBack

Jovus Drokk, Sauchie, warn a Squaxx when you're going to link to that Mail site!  Every time I go there I see... things that can't be unseen, and start thinking dark uncharitable thoughts about humanity.

Gonk

Once you legalise dope you go down the road of legalising smack and coke, followed by prostitution. Where does it end up? Slave ownership?

I don't think we need to be locking up dope fiends though...unless they vote Tory of course.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Professor Bear

Quote from: fonky on 20 October, 2012, 04:59:45 PMOnce you legalise dope you go down the road of legalising smack and coke, followed by prostitution. Where does it end up? Slave ownership?

Please explain.

More addictive and dangerous narcotics than marijuana (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine) are freely available on the open market.  A cynical man - and I think the record will reflect that I am certainly not one of those - would suggest that the only real reason MJ isn't legal is because it's already so freely and widely available to anyone that actually wants it that taxing it would be impossible compared to taxing the existing alternatives like tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and - latterly - cooked food.  Your lords want their bite of the pie and they wouldn't get that from making mj legal - if anything, they'd see a decrease in sales of some of the alternatives (except cooked foods).

Frank

Exactly, Pro Byah. Pasties: roll 'em, light 'em, smoke 'em.

Leigh S

Quote from: Professah Byah on 20 October, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
Quote from: fonky on 20 October, 2012, 04:59:45 PMOnce you legalise dope you go down the road of legalising smack and coke, followed by prostitution. Where does it end up? Slave ownership?

Please explain.

More addictive and dangerous narcotics than marijuana (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine) are freely available on the open market.  A cynical man - and I think the record will reflect that I am certainly not one of those - would suggest that the only real reason MJ isn't legal is because it's already so freely and widely available to anyone that actually wants it that taxing it would be impossible compared to taxing the existing alternatives like tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and - latterly - cooked food.  Your lords want their bite of the pie and they wouldn't get that from making mj legal - if anything, they'd see a decrease in sales of some of the alternatives (except cooked foods).

But isnt keeping it illegal more costly in terms of policing?  If it was just a money equation?  All I know is from a personal perspective if it was legal, I'd probably dabble, so I'm kind of happy it isn't... Have enough trouble with my motivation these days as it is! :)

NapalmKev

I think Weed should be legalized for a couple of reasons.

The procurement of it can lead to meetings with extremely unsavory types who'll do a lot worse than 'sell you harder drugs'.

Buying a product which is unregulated (Weed) can expose you to contaminants; Ie: fiberglass resin, glass particles, sugar spray, etc. This is all done to give the illusion of 'Crystals' on what would otherwise be below standard home-grown.

And finally, I thought the only reason it was initially made illegal was because the Pharmecuticals lobbied the Goverment of the time so that they could then con the General Publuc with their mass produced nonsense.

Cheers, and legalize it!   :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spikes

Old Tankie

Quote from: Professah Byah on 20 October, 2012, 05:55:22 PM

Please explain.

So, if marijuana was legalised, the sales of caffeine would fall, would they?  Hmmm, sure you're not indulging!!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: fonky on 20 October, 2012, 04:59:45 PM

Once you legalise dope you go down the road of legalising smack and coke, followed by prostitution. Where does it end up? Slave ownership?

I never thought I'd comment in this thread but Fonky's right. He's totally right. I grew up smoking weed and I've got to say, I regularly not only pimp out prostitutes but purchase their services. Also I have a slave. I named him Rory Gallagher after Rory Gallagher and he MOWS MY LAWN.

M.I.K.

Well that's just tosh. I've never smoked anything in my life and I own dozens of slaves.