Main Menu

On Shariah TV

Started by paulvonscott, 20 April, 2005, 07:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I've taken to watching occasionally, the odd moment form Shariah TV, a philosophical/religious debate program, about how Islamic law applies to the lives of modern muslims.

They discussed comic books, albeit briefly as part of a discussion about drawing images, and comics actually came off okay.

One lady, who I'm sure I've met briefly at a previous festival worked in comics/animation and was told that as long as the images weren't created to be worshipped, then it was permissable.  One learned man (I assume some sort of priest/iman type) said he actually found that comics, such as superhero ones could be good for children.  While another more hardline chap disagreed with drawing images, but their use in education was permissable, and he saw it as an extanetion of that.

I found it interesting anyway.  I think it's quite a good show, though I never watch for long as I have a short attention span. I tell you it could be the next Late Review.

Bico

Where/when's this on, then?

paulvonscott

No, on Channel 4, though they've moved off comics.  It's late night, most nights I think.

Dudley

I saw that too: thought it was really interesting.  Shariah TV's ensured that I'll never be a Muslim, as I find many of the arguments actively repellent - the one where they argued that women should be allowed on TV until the world has been converted to Islam, then return to their homes as the submissive gender, was particularly nasty - but last night's discussion was very good.  It actually seemed to involve some flexibility on the part of the various imams & teachers, which would be welcome in slightly more important areas.

paulvonscott

Well, I'm unlikely to take to religion any time soon, but it's an interesting show.

Adrian Bamforth

It's a really interesting program for non-muslims, though it really shows how bonkers religion is.

Everyone seems really polite. Then someone asks: "I've heard that anyone who isn't a muslim will suffer eternal torment in hell after their death, is that true?". Answer: "Well, yes it is."

ADE

Wils

until the world has been converted to Islam

I'm still confused about how they think they're actually going to achieve this.

longmanshort

In much the same way that Christianity has been trying to do it for the past 2,000 years - with a lot of prayer and some very big guns ... ;)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

JimBob

Find it really disturbing, a previous episode had a woman widely condemed for donating eggs to a childless couple. In a quite, reasonable voice she was told it would inevtably lead to accidentle incest and damnation.  Which is nice.

Adrian Bamforth

There's just no pleasing some people:

Link: http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=58" target="_blank">Galloway attacked by Muslims as "False Prophet"

GordonR

There's never a dull moment in the life of Gorgeous George, is there?

I wonder why that is?

Dudley

On Shariah TV last night... why women shouldn't play football, why abortions are murder, why women shouldn't travel alone...

Coming soon - why women should avoid breathing, why dungbeetles are better than women...