Main Menu

The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown.

Started by ukdane, 23 April, 2005, 03:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Darryl

Sooooo.... at the risk of baiting the mighty Gordon Rennie - what's yer problem with Terry Pratchett?

bit too popular for your tastes? sold too many books?

Mr C

Or the fact that every book feels exactly the same?
That the jokes are not even carry on worthy?
That he's a bit of a twat?

I used to love Pratchett when I was about nine. Now his stuff just drags and isn't quite funny or entertaining or for that matter original anymore.

Art

Needs a wee scottie dog as comic relief.

Bico

Pratchett's pretty much love or hate stuff.
There's quite a lot I admire in his books, but the occaisional fumbled scene or cheesy sentiment makes me wince, and sometimes ruins the entire book for me.  The reveal at the end of Monsterous Regiment is a prime example of how Pratchett can over-egg the pudding, or over-milk the cow, whatever the proper metaphor may be.  Up until that point, I'd been enjoying it, but afterwards, it was just a matter of watching the mechanical ending clunk into place.

It's probably worse for writers to be subjected to this kind of thing, and I'll wager this is where Gordon is coming from.  Dan Brown's book sounded great ages ago before the full extent of the craporama was disected by people with half a brain (my best mate swore by it, and he's not a thicko by any stretch).  Try to imagine being Shakespeare and not being able to find work because Eastenders have already found scriptwriters sleeping under a bridge drinking lighter fluid.  On the other hand, Gordon might just be pissed because Terry spilt his pint.
Whatever, it's just a matter of taste, really.  Some people don't think Spielberg is a good director, some people don't like Stephen King - I imagine there's not much more to it than that.

Conexus

Yeah, I'm a fan of Pratchett, but i was really diapointed with the ending of monstrous regiment (obviously the girl, the captain and one or two of the rest of the regiment, and the general had to be like that) But every last sodding person in the army??!!

Quirkafleeg

>If I throw Sweeney Todd and Jack the Ripper into the mix, as old Edinburgh villains, do you think the target readership will know the difference.

Don't forget Sherlock Holmes.

> 'The Jings an' Crivens Codex Deciphered' which will explain to everyone just how clever I am.

Agreed. And I'll organise the tour as well.

>Needs a wee scottie dog as comic relief.

Ah yes... I forgot the Grey Frier's Bobby. Don't forget to give a vital roll. "Wait a minute. What's this statue of a dog looking at?!"

Art

Does that include the "Literary Leith" tour as well?

Dudley

I'm also a fan of Pratchett, and thouht the major problem was his decision not to use any humour in the last 2 books he wrote.