Main Menu

SMALL AXE!!!

Started by Stevielonghair, 26 April, 2005, 09:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevielonghair

Small Axe kicks ass, Its a publication that gives people a chance to get there stories in print..rufus dont even draw probably...Watch Out 2000 ad Small Axe brings down big tree's

Matt Timson

So does Dutch Elm disease...
Pffft...

Buddy

I was unfortunate enough to buy last years Small Axe book. It was (is still is) shyte. Nice printing though.

Grant funded I believe, just as well, they're not gonna get rich on sales alone.

paulvonscott

If it's at Bristol I'll take a look, but no promises!

What's Rufus got in it?

Dudley

Jared Katooie

SMALL AXE

A Caribbean journal of criticism

Small Axe focuses on the renewal of the practices of intellectual criticism in the Caribbean and on the expansion/revision of the horizons of such criticism. It recognizes a tradition of social, political, and cultural criticism in and about the regional/diasporic Caribbean and honors that tradition. It also argues with it because it is through such argument that a tradition renews itself. Small Axe provides a forum for rethinking many of the conceptions that guided the formation of Caribbean modernities - conceptions of class, gender, nation, culture, and race, for example - and provides an informed and sustained debate about the present, its political and cultural contours, its historical conditions and global content, and the critical languages in which change can be thought and alternatives re-imagined. The journal regularly includes fiction, nonfiction, poetry, interviews, visual art, and reviews, and is published twice a year.

Or not.

Dudley

It's a reggae thing!

From a Bob Marley site:

As explained in Timothy White's CATCH A FIRE book:

In what seems like a simple allegory in which a woodsman informs a large tree that it is about to be felled, "Small Axe" is actually a fascinating three pronged assertion that is readily understood by all Jamaicans but utterly obscure to almost anyone else.

Not only is "Small Axe" intended as a warning to oppressors everywhere that the people of the Third World will one day cut them down to size, but it is also a bit of bravado that had a particular application to the Jamaican recording industry. When the song was originally written by Marley and noted Kingston producer Lee Perry, it referred to "the Big T'ree," the island's dictatorial record company triumvirate-Dynamic, Federal and Studio One.

And the central image of tree-felling, accompanied by the excuse that it is being done according to the wishes of a superior, is a sober throwback to the old plantation-era pecking order, when slaves who were ordered to topple the island's gigantic silk-cotton trees, which they held sacred, would sprinkle some rum on the roots of the trunks and sing a woeful song. This was done to assure the spirits lurking within that this destruction was not the slaves' idea, but rather the will of their masters.

Why boasteth thyself, oh evil men,
Playing smart and not being clever?
I say you're working iniquity to achieve vanity, yeah,
But the goodness of JAH JAH endureth forever.

If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe.
Sharpened to cut you down,
Ready to cut you down.

These are the words of my master.
Keep on telling me
No weak heart shall prosper,
Oh, no they can't.

And whosoever diggeth a pit, Lord,
Shall fall in it, shall fall in it.
Whosoever diggeth a pit shall bury in it,
Shall bury in it.

If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe
Sharpened to cut you down,
Ready to cut you down.

And whosoever diggeth a pit shall fall in it, fall in it.
Whosoever diggeth a pit shall bury in it, shall bury in it.

If you have a big tree,
We have a small axe
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down.

If you are the big tree,
we are the small axe
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down.

Bolt-01

I Understand Grennie's post about pimping now.

Bolt-01!!

Richmond Clements

Heh.
Just what I was thinking, Bolt!

GordonR

Yeah, but we still don't know what the hell "rufus dont even draw probably" is all about.

Is he talking about our Rufus?  Is he using 'probably' when he means 'properly'?

It's all very strange.  Still won't be buying it, though.

Pyroxian

I'm a bit worried that someone in charge of a small publication can't even spell or use correct grammar and punctuation...

Steve

Buddy

It's a small press local rag (local to Norn Iron that is) produced by some people I don't know with government grant assisted money. Perhaps you could send a script Gordon, government funded - that's money in the bank for ya.

If you're curious enough check the link below, it even has pages from the book, I don't think you'll believe how poor it is.

As for "rufus dont even draw probably" I think he means properly and just shows what mentality these people have - I'm not even sure what point he's/she's making (interesting as Rufus will actually get the opportunity to meet these guys next week at the comic thing happening here in Belfast on Saturday - I must bring this to his attention when he gets here - I wonder if they'll be so opinioniated).

Take it from me,(as if you all need to be told) Rufus can draw properly and probably.

Link: http://www.smallaxeonline.org" target="_blank">behold the shyte!

Carlsborg Expert

My Dad and his Rocker mates decided to have a quiet evening out in Eyam[famous for the last stand to the black plague],for a quiet pint.

I dont know what happened exactly but it all ended up with him and his friends, burning a church down,being trapped in an old red phone box,with some crewcutted deep-country boys outside offended by his and his friends long hair. Their conclusion to this offence was to chop off their hair with an axe.

A small axe.

And I bet that story is more interesting than your whole fecking magazine.

GordonR

What bothers me was how they managed to fill in that (apparently successful) grant application.  Was it a group effort?

"Our aplicatn kicks ass and we can all draw and rwite probably....not like stupid rufus....do we get the money?"

Satanist

A bit less social commentary and a lot more robots fighting dinosaurs and they could've got some of my cash...probably.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?