Main Menu

Giant Days

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2018, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 01 August, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 July, 2018, 05:51:49 PM

Thanks both of you - I will be defo trying this out... hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!
You mean like this one.

Nice one! First seven volumes bought ... and I might give them a bunk up my too read list too!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 August, 2018, 10:39:13 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 August, 2018, 10:12:24 AM
To put that into perspective this wee squaxx was just 7 at the time.
Keep up old timers!

In 2002...?!

Indeed.  :lol: :lol:

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 01 August, 2018, 07:51:00 PM
hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!

You mean like this one.

Cheers.  Anything else in that sale worth a punt, Cosh?
There's a couple of Spurrier mini-series: I'd rate The Spire as one of his best. That Grant Morrison + Ian Gibson New Avengers series. And both volumes of Mezolith,which is outstanding.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 August, 2018, 09:28:44 PM
Quote from: Frank on 01 August, 2018, 07:51:00 PM
hopefully Boom! will have a sale soon!

You mean like this one.

Cheers.  Anything else in that sale worth a punt, Cosh?
There's a couple of Spurrier mini-series: I'd rate The Spire as one of his best. That Grant Morrison + Ian Gibson New Avengers series. And both volumes of Mezolith,which is outstanding.

Done. Thanks muchly.

Colin YNWA

While I admire The Cosh with a depth that frankly need not be shared on this forum I can't be blind to his error here. Please understand that it is only the feeling I have for him that make me say what I will. I want... no need him to be the very best he can be...

...therefore I find myself crushed over his recommendation of The Spire over Six Gun Gorilla. Oh sure The Spire is good, very good, but Six Gun Gorilla is simply magnificent and anyone who says otherwise must surely smell a little of wee*

*I have met The Cosh and he does NOT smell of wee in the slightiest, I said this merely for dramatic effect.

DrJomster

I've just bought the first seven volumes on that sale as well. Been eyeing this up for ages. There's a very nice daily twitter post that's been drawing me closer and closer in and with this sale I couldn't resist! Happy days!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 July, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
So I know we have an insider on this one and I think a few other readers BUT Giant Days heard good things but only today saw that it's set in Sheffield University... is this actual University of Sheffield as in Yorkshire and does it reference the city much?

Well self question answer here but started reading this tonight and by gosh its fantastic - but more on that later. 5 issues in and by heck it does reference Sheffield, pretty subtly but the plays I recognise! Its only in the establishing shots but its so Sheffield - though I am of course projecting a bit here some are very specific and can confirm from on picture of the University its them 'Up the road' Uni Of (where I went to Uni) not Sheff Hallam - where I now work.

I love this comic.

I also love the fact that while the events are sent in 2010s it feels like my first term at Uni in ... well earlier... I mean very like that, laptops and internet - which was a bit of a treat in those days - aside. I wonder has Uni changed so little, did John Allison go in the 90s... or ermm earlier shall we say???

Anyway loving this already and will be back to blather more I can tells ya...

Jim_Campbell

It's a joy. Honestly, up until I got The Call from Tharg, working on this book has been the high point of my career, simply because I was the first person to read it every month. As I've said elsewhere, it deserves every plaudit it received (including those two Eisners last year!) not because it's funny (which it is) but because it's wise and it's kind.

The fact that the comic industry is in a place where this book could run to 1200+ pages over four-and-a-bit years and reach a natural conclusion is one of the most positive things I can say about it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 May, 2020, 09:33:25 PM
As I've said elsewhere

Or, indeed, on the first page of this thread, if I'd bothered to check! What a numpty.

Rately

Thanks for the recommendation, folks. Another title added to my pile!

Colin YNWA

I'm going to repeat myself a bit here. But this is sooo Sheffield. Not just in its placing and my gosh as it goes on (I've now read the first 32 issues and will be picking up the rest) it does name check and make specific reference not only to Sheffield landmarks and places, but more specifcally to places I spent my Uni days (or shortly after as well). To the extent that my old local The Cobden View makes an appearance - though fair to say while it was my local in my second year of Uni I didn't really go there often until, I returned to live on Western Road 2 years after graduating. The thrll of seeing my youth splashed large on the page of an internationally recognised comic is a bit silly but very real!

It hits a peak when they give special mention (and pictural reference) to the very sadly missed Rare and Racey second hand book and record shop. I still own I bag from there I'd kept when I heard it was closing!

Anyway its Sheffield for reasons beyond that. Its laid back attitude, with a dark but good natured comic ear undercutting it. Its sharp honestly. Its lack of pretention - while comics like Saga with its pushy cut and thrust attention seeking drive are Manchester or Leeds. This book is Sheffield in its heart and soul. Its quietly brilliant, not fussed if you know it and cut through with good humour and humanity.

It couldn't be more Sheffield if it was written by Richard Hawley and drawn by Pete McKee and printed using Hendo's Relish.

Third Estate Ned

When did you go to university in Sheffield, Colin? I was at Hallam between 1997 and 2001 and then at the Sheffield College until 2002. It's such an important place to me and I would move back there if we ever came back to live in the UK but not in some of the dives I lived in (opposite the Abbeydale, in Nether Edge and near Endfcliffe Park).

I've kind of fallen out with reading comics in the last couple of years (that's why I don't post anything) but you've inspired me to want to pick this up, principally for the city references you mention but also because of all the praise on this thread. Checking Wikipedia I see I have some catching up to do with 14 trades so far.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 01 June, 2020, 08:53:03 AM
Checking Wikipedia I see I have some catching up to do with 14 trades so far.

Fourteen is your lot — that's entire run, including (I think) the holiday specials. If you enjoy it, John is, as always, running his own webcomics, links to which you will find here.

Be aware that the Steeple webcomic is a sequel to the five-issue Dark Horse mini-series of the same name, which is great, albeit rather different in subject matter — a new Church of England curate arrives in a small Cornish town where the CofE vies directly with the Church of Satan for the souls of the community and any number of monstrous beasties haul themselves out of the sea at regular intervals. All of which sounds terribly serious, but is approached with John's usual charm and wit.

Also, about to resume after a brief COVID-enforced hiatus, there's Wicked Things from BOOM, by the Giant Days team — not a sequel to Giant Days, but catches up with occasional supporting character Lottie Grote a few years down the line. It is, as you'd expect, great and has Max Sarin's best artwork to date, IMO.

Third Estate Ned

Thanks for the recommendations, Jim. I like the look of the art in both the titles you mention. How come they don't credit the letterer in the Creator list when you're clearly credited on the front cover, though?

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-037/Steeple-1

If that sounds quite taunting, I don't mean to be. It just seems odd.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 June, 2020, 09:10:20 AM
... Max Sarin's best artwork to date, IMO.

Sorry forgot to mention in my love for Sheffield clouded wittering that Max Sarin's art just gets better and better and better as the series progresses and by the end is just superb.

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 01 June, 2020, 08:53:03 AM
When did you go to university in Sheffield, Colin? I was at Hallam between 1997 and 2001 and then at the Sheffield College until 2002. It's such an important place to me and I would move back there if we ever came back to live in the UK but not in some of the dives I lived in (opposite the Abbeydale, in Nether Edge and near Endfcliffe Park).

I was 'Up the Road' 1993 - 1996 and again in 1998/9 for a Masters. I too have lived in Nether Edge - both in a shared house - that was as near to a squat as i have lived in and in my first owned Flat on Sheldon Road.

And yeah have lived on (or just off) Sharrowvale Road in both rented and our first family house. My Crookes (and Crookesmoor) days fill the rest of my time in Sheff. Well until we have now of course moved away from the riff raff students and retreated up the hill to proper suburban middle class Sheffield!...

... not that all the places mentioned aren't pretty middle class!