Main Menu

Giant Days

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2018, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 01 June, 2020, 09:34:46 AM
If that sounds quite taunting, I don't mean to be. It just seems odd.

It doesn't sound that way, and it is odd, but I'm used to it! John specifically asked that I get a cover credit, bless 'em.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Third Estate Ned

To Jim: being used to it doesn't make it right, I guess, considering the mind-boggling amount of work and creative decisions that go into it (having popped into the lettering thread occasionally).

To Colin: The chances are we crossed paths in Pop's "supermarket", Jacksons or in the Byron at some point in the distant past as I lived in a shared dump on Briar Road, a street adjoining Sheldon Road.

To not irreparably derail the thread with dewy-eyed old man's musings, I just ordered Giant Days: Not on the Test Edition I - Fall Semester for a very reasonable price.

Bolt-01

Just ordered the first three paperbacks from that there amazon.

I'm hoping it will be as good as I want it to be.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 June, 2020, 09:10:20 AM
Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 01 June, 2020, 08:53:03 AM
Checking Wikipedia I see I have some catching up to do with 14 trades so far.

Fourteen is your lot — that's entire run, including (I think) the holiday specials. If you enjoy it, John is, as always, running his own webcomics, links to which you will find here.

Be aware that the Steeple webcomic is a sequel to the five-issue Dark Horse mini-series of the same name, which is great, albeit rather different in subject matter — a new Church of England curate arrives in a small Cornish town where the CofE vies directly with the Church of Satan for the souls of the community and any number of monstrous beasties haul themselves out of the sea at regular intervals. All of which sounds terribly serious, but is approached with John's usual charm and wit.

Serious?  Sounds like a cross between Mr Pye and original run Doctor Who to me*.

* I don't need to specify that's a good thing, do I?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 01 June, 2020, 01:39:27 PM
Serious?  Sounds like a cross between Mr Pye and original run Doctor Who to me*.

TBH, in places it reads more like someone hired Alan Bennet to rewrite The Wicker Man as a gentle comedy. I mean that in a very good way.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 01 June, 2020, 10:35:50 AM

To Colin: The chances are we crossed paths in Pop's "supermarket", Jacksons or in the Byron at some point in the distant past as I lived in a shared dump on Briar Road, a street adjoining Sheldon Road.

Oh if you lived on Briar Road its very possible we crossed paths and I had friend who lived there for about 3 years - it was my favourite haunt (this is when I lived in Crookes so 98 and 99) and then when I moved into my flat in 2000.

Great Pop's reference - I live in the block of flat next door to the three shops there!

Third Estate Ned

This is all very strange to me. Are you saying the very short Briar Road, where I lived from '97 to '98, was your favourite haunt or just that area? I can't believe Pop's is still Pop's and now you live thereabouts. On a 2000AD related note, I lived on Fulwood Road for a bit and I distinctly remember the barman in The Ranmoor Inn trying to entertain a girl by enthusiastically telling her about fatties and belly wheels. No chance that was you?

Just in case, you're wondering, I don't know why I remember another person's conversation from 20 years ago but not what I did the previous afternoon. Sorry, I'm derailing the thread. I'll add something useful when the book arrives.

Colin YNWA

No the house my friends lived in, not Briar Road itseld! Basically most of my best friends lived there for a couple of years, number 22, I think it was - could check - So spent many a happy day, night weekend around there. In fact it was a house party there that I saw in The Millenium and oh man that was quite the night!

I can honestly say, while I've been to the Ranmoor Inn, I've never tried to thrill someone with tales of fatties and belly wheels. Every one knows you use Otto Stump and Uglies for that.

Yeah I blame myself for the thread derailing but Giant Days is so, so evocative of not just Sheffield but that time in my life. Not simply Uni days but those of bumming around house sharing with the friends you will have for life. I still consider all this talk as reviewing the material!

Third Estate Ned

In the interests of in-depth reviewing, then, I would say there's no need to check the house number. I lived on the other side of the road to that. Couldn't wait to leave that particular house though, it was an awful dump. Such a small world.

OK, that's enough, I could reminisce all day.

sheridan

Google Street View is your friend.  Had a look at some of the old places I'd lived the other day - they've changed considerably more than that area of Sheffield has!

Third Estate Ned

Yeah, that's it. Amazing how evocative a simple photo of a house can be. Looks like I lived at no. 15, even the colours of the bay windows remain the same. But residential streets don't change much. A while ago someone posted a video of Sheffield city centre how it is now and I hardly recognised the place.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 02 June, 2020, 08:30:43 AM
Yeah, that's it. Amazing how evocative a simple photo of a house can be. Looks like I lived at no. 15, even the colours of the bay windows remain the same. But residential streets don't change much. A while ago someone posted a video of Sheffield city centre how it is now and I hardly recognised the place.

You may think that but the former residences I looked at had changed a lot - one had been knocked down and replaced by a block of flats (and a soulless place it looked too), while the area around another had been pedestrianised and (pedestrian) alleyways had been closed off.