Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

ENDGAME trailers were very good and, from what I recall, gave very little away. But that makes it hard to say more about the direction it takes without spoiling it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 April, 2019, 12:56:35 PM
I'm intrigued is 'Endgame' particularly vulnerable to spoilers? There's been a lot of fuss made about not spoiling it and folks seem to be respecting that - from the little I've noticed.

Just to agree with everyone else: yes, definitely. I'm sure there's still plenty to enjoy if you did cop for some spoilers, but the trailers, as Tiplodocus says, give almost nothing away and if you go in un-spoiled you're in for a bit of a treat.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I'm off to see Endgame tomorrow. Yes it's still opening week but i'm hoping 12:45PM on a Tuesday is as quiet a screening at this point I can hope for.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 April, 2019, 11:34:38 AM
Oh I dunno, if you put aside the FX budget, it stands up to the other awful versions. You can watch it on dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19pvwt

Thanks, I'll give it a watch! From what they show you in Doomed it seems to have a goofy charm to it, and it was really endearing how much the people involved genuinely seemed to want to do it justice, so it's good that it's out there to watch in some way.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 April, 2019, 03:50:43 PM
I'm off to see Endgame tomorrow. Yes it's still opening week but i'm hoping 12:45PM on a Tuesday is as quiet a screening at this point I can hope for.

I've just booked myself in for a second viewing on Friday morning at 11.30 am and at the moment I'm the only one booked. I hope it stays that way (I do love a private screening :)  )

Tiplodocus

WIND RIVER
Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye as rookie FBI and experienced hunter trying to solve a rape and murder on a reservation in the bleak Wyoming (?) landscape and even bleaker existence (if you don't look at it right).

It doesn't follow a predictable path and has got character beats in place of convoluted whodunnit shenanigans and a couple of very tense sequences. From Taylor Sheridan what did Siccario and Hell Or Highwater. The man knows how to take a good squint at America. Oh and The Punisher pops up too.

But be warned, I had to watch some WALKING DEAD afterwards to cheer myself up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

I watched Wind River recently as well. And to echo Tips, this film takes you to dark places. Prepare to watch an enjoyable romp afterwards, like Reservoir Dogs.

Apestrife

Superman the movie I think I did things a bit differently than most and watched this one instead of Avengers (which I'll watch in a week or so). Haven't seen in it 20 years. Felt like a really nice little reunion. I'm amazed how well it held up. Only nit pick would be that the movie probably could'v been a bit shorter. Clocking in at 2h30m is a bit excessive.

The movie very elegantly manages to combine lovely romantics (Sup's and Lois date in the sky is magical) heavy moments, good action and camp fun like no other. Also it's intro on Krypton felt interestingly strange and almost a bit eerie, especially with Krypton's destruction.

And the thing I probably liked the most about, Superman makes being a good person feel like the most awesome thing there is. Much like why I love the book Allstar Superman so much.

Keef Monkey

We watched the Assassin's Creed movie at the weekend and it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Despite playing a bunch of the games (everything up to Unity I think) I don't have any particular fondness for the series (although Black Flag is great). I did think that in the first few minutes they'd done a better job of explaining the plot than any of the games has so far managed, although my other half (who hasn't played the games but I think picked the movie based on the shirtless Fassbender thumbnail) was a bit confused about a couple of things so it's possible the games primed me for it a bit.

I thought it looked very stylish and apart from being slightly dull in places was surprisingly alright, and almost really good in places but not quite. A lot like the games then.

Also rewatched The Gate 2 for the first time since I was a kid, because a recent revisit of the first film reminded me how much I loved that movie. The first holds up great, but I remember this one being a bit disappointing at the time and it's definitely not on the same level. Some cool moments and it still has some goofy charm in places, but not a patch on the first film which I still think is a bit of a classic.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 May, 2019, 10:21:23 AM
Also rewatched The Gate 2 for the first time since I was a kid, because a recent revisit of the first film reminded me how much I loved that movie. The first holds up great, but I remember this one being a bit disappointing at the time and it's definitely not on the same level. Some cool moments and it still has some goofy charm in places, but not a patch on the first film which I still think is a bit of a classic.

Wait, theres a sequel to one of the best canucksploitation movies? Since when?!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 May, 2019, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 May, 2019, 10:21:23 AM

Wait, theres a sequel to one of the best canucksploitation movies? Since when?!

There is! Think it was a couple of years later, is called The Gate 2: Trespassers in some places I think. Definitely feels more low-rent than the first film but has its moments and a couple of neat effects. A fun enough cheesy horror if you approach it the right way but that first one is such a cool and unusual gem that it's a shame the sequel isn't better!

Mattofthespurs

Liked The Gate in, what, 1987 (Vestron video or is my memory playing tricks with me?) but not a fan of the sequel.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 06 May, 2019, 06:36:15 PM
Liked The Gate in, what, 1987 (Vestron video or is my memory playing tricks with me?) but not a fan of the sequel.
Vestron it was, and still is! Lionsgate revived the label and are re-releasing it's catalogue on blu-ray, including The Gate and other classics like Lair of the White Worm.

Mattofthespurs

Theblazeuk

Watched the 2018 Halloween and thought it was alright, definitely better than most of the other Halloween movies I've seen beyond the first.

About 1/3 of the way through Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse and I can already tell this is going to live up to the hype. From the comic book thought bubbles to a touching cameo from Stan Lee, it's my favourite superhero done in a way I never thought possible. And typically speaking, I think Spidey works best at a street level (at least Homecoming style) but of course there's so much good in the crazy world of comics that he lives in.

"Looks like a kid dressed like spiderman, dragging a homeless corpse behind a train..."