Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: JLC on 11 August, 2017, 08:08:02 PM
Its concept art. Isn't the point of concept art for people to read into it how the show might look?!?

It's the grand total of 2 images. Even then a lot can change between that and when it's on screen - *if* it gets on screen.

Concept art like this is mainly for people who are going to put money in, not us plebs - the date puts it at being drawn well over a year ago.

Releasing it to the public is seems like something to keep news churning after nothing of note about the show was released at SDCC.

Most people at least wait until a trailer before declaring it's a deal-breaker.

ABCwarBOT

Cool concept art and that's perfectly along the lines of what I want to see.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: 8-Ball on 11 August, 2017, 07:21:06 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 11 August, 2017, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: JLC on 11 August, 2017, 06:18:21 PM
OK, it is just concept art but seems a bit too drab for me. I'd like a more vivid colourful vibrant MC1.
Could be just the drab part of the city. One scene I loved in the recent film was when Dredd and Anderson were outside the building looking out of the city at night. It looked brilliant with all the neon contrasted against the night sky.
I hope so. This type of thing could be a deal-breaker for me. The version of MC-1 that I have in my head is straight from Colin MacNeil's art for America and Mechanismo. Chiefly crystal clear blue skies and blazing sunshine resulting from the machinations of Weather Control and a perfect example of the excessive reach of the Justice Department. I don't want MC-1 in this show to be yet another gloomy cookie-cutter dystopia.

As others have pointed out we can have both.   Some parts of the city look drab and really run down, other parts could look ultra high tech and gleaming and sometimes the city can be stormy and gloomy and other times blazing sunshine.   

sheridan

Quote from: Pete Wells on 11 August, 2017, 08:40:12 PM
That first picture totally reminds me of one of my all time favourite covers - Prog 1450 by Jock. I love it!

Only problem with that picture is that the logo is slightly covered ;)

Steve Green

One of them is a specific event from the comic - it's the Democracy March, which doesn't end well.

A subdued palette suggests an oppressive atmosphere, as Justice Department ramps up the dirty tricks.

It could start out that brighter and more colourful, of course, with a sense of optimism from the citizens, but gradually get gloomier as the riot squads line up.

These are just snapshots.

8-Ball

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 August, 2017, 07:42:04 PM
What, even at night?

Honestly people are reading an awful lot into a couple of images.

I'm not reading into anything. Just voicing my reservations about the potential look of MC-1 based on these two images. And I understand, over the years different artists have put their own spin on the big meg, I just hope that we don't end up with the easiest (and dullest) one. I would hate it for this show to merely copy and paste Blade Runner's iconography when it already has it's own unique look. It's a deal-breaker in the sense that my interest is diminished by looking at something I can see replicated in a squillion straight-to-video HMV shelf warmers. You can't fault me in wanting to see something different. If the next pieces of concept art to be released have some of that Judge Dredd uniqueness then I'll be as happy as a pig in poop. Until then...
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

dweezil2

Two pieces of concept art, both seemingly depicting a nighttime scene.
I'm certainly not going to get my nickers in a bunch.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ABCwarBOT

I might be wrong but one unique thing that isn't in any other films is the elevated Megways.   

Rusty

Quote from: 8-Ball on 12 August, 2017, 12:53:25 PM
If the next pieces of concept art to be released have some of that Judge Dredd uniqueness then I'll be as happy as a pig in poop. Until then...
Like the Stallone version did? God, I hope not. It might be a very polarising thing on here, but for me, it has to retain a bit of actual real world semblance, similar to what we see today in cities, and similar to what the 2012 came across as.  Having buildings look all futuristic, with architecture and geometry that just makes no logical sense is a deal breaker as far as my perspective goes. I'm talking about the mushroom-domed structures of the comic. The same goes for the design of the vehicles and in particular the Lawmaster. It would just seem weird to see judges on screen riding a bike that resembles a 1970's LA cop's road bike, with the long chopper handlebars. That's not to say some kind of design like the comic book Lawmaster wouldn't fit in some way, but again its a similar situation to the armour: practicality matters more on screen, where things are more grounded than what they are on a page. I think most of how everything looks will rely entirely on the technology used within the series' universe. Will it be more Star Trek, or Terminator/Aliens?

Rusty

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 August, 2017, 09:53:31 PM
I might be wrong but one unique thing that isn't in any other films is the elevated Megways.
Metropolis and Akira, if I remember correctly.

Steve Green

Weird looking buildings aren't that unusual in modern cities.

Valencia has some that aren't a million miles from the likes of McMahon's.

Or some of Zaha Hadid's buildings

Rusty

I suppose, but they are usually all within a certain height or 'designer' opulent buildings for rich folks.

JLC

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 August, 2017, 08:55:00 PM
Quote from: JLC on 11 August, 2017, 08:08:02 PM
Its concept art. Isn't the point of concept art for people to read into it how the show might look?!?

It's the grand total of 2 images. Even then a lot can change between that and when it's on screen - *if* it gets on screen.

Concept art like this is mainly for people who are going to put money in, not us plebs - the date puts it at being drawn well over a year ago.

Releasing it to the public is seems like something to keep news churning after nothing of note about the show was released at SDCC.

Most people at least wait until a trailer before declaring it's a deal-breaker.
I never delared it a deal-breaker.

Steve Green

I was referring to 8-ball's post on the deal-breaker point.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Rusty on 12 August, 2017, 10:02:33 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 August, 2017, 09:53:31 PM
Metropolis and Akira, if I remember correctly.

Forgot about those but maybe the sheer number of megways will look fairly unique and the way they're really high up on buildings.