Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 September, 2012, 12:22:42 PM
Spain box-office
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/spain/?yr=2012&wk=36&p=.htm

I'm in Madrid just now and there was no sign of Dredd in either of the two cinemas I saw. They were in city centre though and showing foreign (local) films so he must be doing his stuff in the multi-plexes. Photo opportunity lost!

DKCX

Dredd hits #4 in the Irish Box Office.
http://www.thisisirishfilm.ie/box_office/

Would have expected a better position seeing as Judge Dredd is a well known character.  :(
Lawless doing twice as much business in the first weekend as well.
I blame the lack of advertising in Ireland. Didn't see too many adverts bar a few on tv. The heavy advertising in the UK made the difference in getting it to #1.

JOE SOAP

Also blame the fact that some chains won't deal with Entertainment Film, not even the Savoy.

PsychoGoatee

I know we want the movie to do well, and worrying about the box office makes sense, but looking for explanations and whatnot is always nebulous. Most films, genre films like sci-fi flicks without blockbuster budgets and marketing, just don't do crazy well at the box office.

Plus, Kevin Smith was talking a lot about this, how now more than ever with the net people are always talking about the numbers and worrying about them, when this is just a small window in the film's life. Theater attendance is down in general, so home video is arguably just as big or a bigger deal.

James Stacey

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 12 September, 2012, 04:45:54 PM
I know we want the movie to do well, and worrying about the box office makes sense, but looking for explanations and whatnot is always nebulous. Most films, genre films like sci-fi flicks without blockbuster budgets and marketing, just don't do crazy well at the box office.

Plus, Kevin Smith was talking a lot about this, how now more than ever with the net people are always talking about the numbers and worrying about them, when this is just a small window in the film's life. Theater attendance is down in general, so home video is arguably just as big or a bigger deal.
But its been stated that sequels are directly dependant on box office. That's the only reason why. Dredd may well have a 'long tail' and rake it in on DVD/BR but if its past the window for a sequel so what. Films don't get a sequel based on dvd/br sales / rental or at least not sequels starring the same cast with a similar budget. Like Urban said, at least we have a kick ass film either way, and should be more than chuffed with that. It's just we'd like to see more.

Hairwolf

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 September, 2012, 04:21:31 PM
Also blame the fact that some chains won't deal with Entertainment Film, not even the Savoy.

Yup I'd noticed when I went looking to book tickets thin king to go to the savoy for old time's sake the movie wasn't even listed...a shame, we're a small enough box office i guess, but pity it's not going to get the chance of maximum exposure here.

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: radiator on 12 September, 2012, 01:24:11 PM
I saw it again last night in a Vue Xtreme (basically a state of the art, massive 3d screen) and was blown away. It looked ten times better than the two other times I've seen the film; really crisp, solid and sharply detailed, and the 3d (despite the odd bit of ghosting and noise) blew me away. Was a bit pricey, but I'd recommend seeing it this way if you can

Not for me: I can't even wear my own prescription glasses or sunglasses for more than a short period without feeling nauseous: I'm just sensitive to any kind of lens except contact lenses.

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 September, 2012, 01:13:23 PM...what I assume is not a key demographic...

But the man looks like a Spanish pirate!

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 September, 2012, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 12 September, 2012, 01:13:23 PM...what I assume is not a key demographic...

But the man looks like a Spanish pirate!

"What If? Dredd was a Spanish Pirate", I'd read the hell out of that.  :D

Martin Jameson

I've tried my very best to get people from work to go see it, I really have, but no one seems very interested. Seems like anyone showing the slightest interest is waiting for the blu ray. Although a lot of them did go and see DKR. Odd really. To be honest it does wind you up a bit when people can be so dismissive because of the old film. Although no one mentioned it looked like The Raid!

SmallBlueThing

It's weird- outside of fandom and this board, most people i ever mention the stallone movie to say they enjoy it. Yes, they refer to it as (grud help me, i hate this expression) "cheese", but that's also how they see Predator, Robocop and basically any genre movie not made in the last five years. There's a lot of affection for "mr eye! yam! de leurgh!" out there, and i confess i feel that too. Ive never had a problem with it.

SBT

The Sherman Kid

Saw it again tonight with my older brother and....

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PACKED!! :D :D

JOE SOAP

Michaelvk

I'd say about 40 at the Odeon in Cardiff.. Which includes a bloke who got all shirty about being in my seat..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Martin Jameson

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 12 September, 2012, 10:28:57 PM

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PACKED!! :D :D

Would that be because of the Orange Wednesday? Does that still apply to 3D films?