Main Menu

*Sigh* ... I'm not sure why I bother!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 14 November, 2009, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 14 November, 2009, 11:19:11 PM
Yeah, these shows are all quite unfamiliar to me.  I keep it simple with the Jeremy Kyle show.  No danger of THAT being cancelled anytime soon.  Not while Hackney and Salford still have scum who've not been on telly yet....

Excuse me. We're not all scum in Hackney. Can't speak for Salford, but Hackney is nowhere near as bad as some people think.

Van Dom

Defying gravity was promising. Bum. Sucks about Dollhouse too. And I really liked Reaper, if only for Ray Wise, who was brilliant as always.

At least Chuck got picked up for a 3rd season - cant believe there was even a question mark over that for a while, its so good. Anyone else watch this? 2nd season was fantastic, what with Scott Bakula, Chevy Chase, Gary Cole etc... Can't wait for more.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Mike Gloady

I wasn't suggesting you all were.  Or indeed that even a large proportion of you are.  It was an area, like Salford, that sprung to mind.  I'd've picked my own borough, but it's a little leafy and suburban for it's rough bits to conjure an image. 

Oh well.  No offense meant.

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dandontdare

As someone who lives in Manchester, the terms "Salford scally" or "Chorlton Twat" are common shorthand for a certain type of person, even though they don't have to actually live there, and no one takes it to mean that everyone who does live in these areas is like that

Colin Zeal

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 18 November, 2009, 02:52:27 PM
I wasn't suggesting you all were.  Or indeed that even a large proportion of you are.  It was an area, like Salford, that sprung to mind.  I'd've picked my own borough, but it's a little leafy and suburban for it's rough bits to conjure an image. 

Oh well.  No offense meant.

I'm not really offended, so don't worry about it.

Colin Zeal

Getting this back on topic though, what also annoys the hell out of me is programmes starting on terestial television and then being shifted to Sky. Lost and the X Files are perfect examples of this. I don't have Sky so missed seeing these shows after they made the change. Now have to pay for Lost boxsets to see each series.

Professor Bear

Can't remember if I posted this before - an odd (but not subtle) in-joke from Whedon-bud Nathan Failion's current show Castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

Mardroid

Quote from: Professah Byah on 23 November, 2009, 08:50:22 PM
Can't remember if I posted this before - an odd (but not subtle) in-joke from Whedon-bud Nathan Failion's current show Castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

Ha! I've never seen Castle but I like that joke.

TordelBack

I've no idea what Castle is or (let's face it, chances are) was, but that almost brings a tear to a jaded eye. 

Jim_Campbell

I'm almost happy to let Firefly and Serenity go, you know. I'm kind of philosophical about it ... in the same way that you could look at Ginger Rogers in the later part of her life and think -- would Marilyn Monroe be the icon she is today if she'd lived?

Maybe thirteen episodes and a damn fine movie is all we need.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

QuoteMaybe thirteen episodes and a damn fine movie is all we need.

I was thinking something similar while watching the Star Trek movie at the weekend- and reflecting how the shot of Nero's ship coming out of the time hole thingy was very similar to the one of the Reavers appearing behind Serenity (one of the best shots in any movie ever).

I, Cosh

Well, after the news that the Dollhouse has definitely been canned, the last three or four episodes have been easily the best so far. An exciting, ongoing storyline pulling in a lot of elements that had been hanging around too long. Unexpected twists and reversals. Interesting new characters, situations and potential directions. Everything except more outfits really.

Had this happened at the same point in the first series or possibly even earlier in the second, I think people would've stuck with the programme and we could look forward to another year at least. Oh well.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 December, 2009, 12:24:24 AM
Well, after the news that the Dollhouse has definitely been canned, the last three or four episodes have been easily the best so far.

Yeah ... they've been excellent. Bugger.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Monarch

Quotebut some series got it end rush up cos of next season cancelled, like Angel, but it got great final episode...

*to the tune of something stupid*

and then idw go and spoil it all by publishing something shitty like after the faaaaall!

Jared Katooie

Smallville, My Family, Little Britain, My Hero, Lost, 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps.

What have all these shows got in common?

1) They are all unimaginably awful.

2) They are all extremely popular.

3) Thay have all had many, many series.

It's time to face facts. By and large the viewing public doesn't want to watch things like Dollhouse, or Firefly, or Deadwood. They want to watch Ross saying the wrong name at his wedding, or see Jeremy Kyle screaming at a slack-jawed teen dad.