Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Books & Comics / Re: Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?
« Last post by Krakajac on Today at 03:02:56 am »
Glad to hear someone mention the Spy's Guidebook.  Loved these as a kid.  Had the smaller paperback editions at various points, but tracked down the hardback 192-page edition some time back...published in 1978.

General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills 2017
« Last post by The Adventurer on Today at 12:57:36 am »
i guess I'm a bit confused, what chapters of Indigo Prime are we talking about? I see its not returned to the Prog yet, so what Credits are his name not attached too?
There's a new story starting in prog 2050. The first set of solicits in Previews credit John Smith and Kek-W. The latest ones omit John.
Interesting, and worrisome. Though to be fair, if John Smith was to be replaced, Kek-W would be my first choice.
Can you believe HBO managed to air/leak the next episode themselves. They say it was an accident but I think they just couldn't wait to show it because UNHOLY FUCK!
It's also worth saying that Phoenix is in Waitrose and not in Smiths (although that might be changing soon?) purely because the Waitrose magazines buyer liked it and wanted it, whereas all other supermarkets + Smiths of old felt it wouldn't sell enough to justify the shelf space. It's not a middle-class conspiracy, honest!
I've never considered before that Waitrose has a magazine buyer.  I wonder what else they've signed up?
General / Re: AUGUST ART COMP - MASSIMO BELARDINELLI
« Last post by sheridan on Today at 12:21:35 am »

I really need to print out a few copies of that and bung it on some bottles :)
Books & Comics / Re: Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?
« Last post by sheridan on Today at 12:11:41 am »
We're reasonably close to persuading the powers that be at Usborne to have a crack at the 'choose your own adventure' thing. Would you be inclined to buy this sort of thing for your little 'uns (if you have any), or is it original FF or nothing as far as you're concerned?

Speaking personally, I loved the FF books mostly for the art and the setting, and was slightly less taken with the actual mechanic of playing through the book. For some reason I loved the heck out of the first Asterix book, though - perhaps because it wasn't as difficult!

Usborne books are among the greatest things in the world, so I would take serious note of their gamebooks. That said, they'd need to have the same feel as the originals, which means getting the art, writing style and challenge right.

Personally, having to play though by the rules is a vital part of the books. It's the difficulty that keeps you replaying, rereading, trying new paths, discovering new locations, monsters and treasure. The early Lone Wolf books were probably better than FF, but I gave up on them as they progressed because I could play though them in a single reading with little challenge.

Regards,

Robin

My take: as others have said, Fighting Fantasy actually had some sort of challenge (given, some of it could be quite arbitrary). 

I only ever read the first Lone Wolf book, do remember liking it but also got through to the end on the first go.  Please, please, please don't make it like Choose Your Own Adventure though - if Lone Wolf has atmospheric world-building but no challenge, then CYOA has no atmosphere and no challenge (while FF has the atmosphere and challenge). 

The thing that FF got spot on though, was the presentation - Jackson and Livingstone insisted on getting in their own artists (being White Dwarf / Games Workshop stalwarts) - this presentation is sadly lacking in the latest editions.

Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by judgerufian on 16 August, 2017, 11:58:48 pm »
Just confirmed on Facebook - 13 volumes of Slaine

Yep this decides for me too, way too much slaine to part with such a big wad of cash. Sorry Tharg, i will be cherry picking the collection and wish it the best a luck
« Last post by dweezil2 on 16 August, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »
I love John Smith's utterly unique writing style, I'll be really sad to hear he's been dropped from the strip, if that is indeed what's happened!  :(

We need more risk takers like him in the Prog.
Books & Comics / Spawn Vault Edition
« Last post by Sinister Vegas on 16 August, 2017, 11:46:49 pm »
Has anyone purchased a copy of this weighty time signed by Todd McFarlane? Eager to know if anyone received one of the rare sketches or notary editions? Was your copy shrink wrapped?
« Last post by I, Cosh on 16 August, 2017, 11:46:14 pm »
Perhaps the next volume is about to start in the Prog? If not, yeah, that's an odd one.
Can't remember if I read it somewhere or they mentioned it at the 40th birthday, but I have it in my head that there's a return to Helium before the next Scarlet Traces.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10