Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 14 December, 2017, 09:03:13 PM
I saw your Lego characters featured in the latest Prog! Congrats! Your fine work is receiving well deserved recognition from Tharg! :)

Thanks, RJ.  There have been so many nice things said about these latest builds by so many people I'm starting to believe the hype - even Tharg declares them to be ULTRA-zarjaz, so who am I to argue?

Anyway, here's hoping I can get some more Lego Thrills brewing in 2018.

IndigoPrime

I've no idea whether Tharg is a fan of Lego, but it's lovely to see him acknowledging your efforts every year in the Christmas Prog, and this year dedicating quite a bit of space to them. (Six pics! Lovely builds though.)

James

I've put instructions for my Lawmaster in the advent calendar thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nngq7ywb0suy3sj/Lawmaster.pdf?dl=0

ming

I'd love to get some proper instructions done for some of the latest things - will try again with LDD at some point.  In the meantime, I've ordered the bits for a couple more figures done over the last few weeks. 

I quite like Slough Throt (and the boys think he's a cool customer, which is nice).  Will post a pic of the actual build once the various bits arrive...

TordelBack

I presume you're making a weirdstone to accompany him?  Plus some giant worms.  'Cos he is glorious to behold.

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 January, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
I presume you're making a weirdstone to accompany him?  Plus some giant worms.  'Cos he is glorious to behold.

Thanks, TordelBack :-)

Hah, a weirdstone would be great but I'm not sure I could achieve the required details for the arcane symbols - adorning it with Lego pizzas and doughnuts wouldn't really do the job.  Giant worms I haven't considered but I did wonder whether I could add a Starborn Thing to Dredd...

Next up: Judge Bumpy-man.

ming

I've got a few more figures in mind for the coming months but the latest finished one is Judge Anderson...  More tricky than I expected due to a combination of an attempt at a Bolland-esque parting and lady-Judge bumps (I won't trouble you with all the iterations of those I went through but you can probably imagine). 

Anyway, I've ordered the bits (so as not to deprive the boys of yet more of their Lego) and might do some minor tweaks when I build it, but here's the basic idea (will use the same kind of eyes I used for Wulf):

Not sure what I'll do next - Purity is in the pipeline and I'll have a crack at Nikolai Dante soon.  I think Uncle Ump might be nice to try, too...

IndigoPrime

Hair looks superb. Lady-bumps – not sure I'd bother with those; after all, Lego doesn't on its female Brickheadz.

ming

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 January, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Hair looks superb. Lady-bumps – not sure I'd bother with those; after all, Lego doesn't on its female Brickheadz.

But.. but.. Lady-bumps!

I tried (oh, how I tried) to do them, er, justice - this was the best I could do.  I can try without in the final build and see how it looks. I had high-heeled judge boots at some point but ditched those early on.  Getting the eagle to fit under the hair drove me slightly insane and in the end I just removed the feet to try and preserve the last remnants of my sanity.

I went to sleep last night with swirling visions of me trying to achieve vertical stripes in Ump's cylindrical top hat...  (I can't - I'll see how a squared-off hat looks instead).  I'll need a break from this soon - I've got a paper to write (a spare-time thing) and this has partly been a welcome excuse not to get on with it.

ming

Built these yesterday with some help from the younglings...

I've got Uncle Ump ready to go but I'll try and finish another character or two before ordering the bits.  Really having fun with these; hopefully a few more to come before my brain refuses to cooperate further.

IndigoPrime

This is turning into quite the collection. How many of them still exist, or have your older ones been broken down into bits? (If the latter, quite nice in a way that you do now have digital versions of many of them.)

Colin YNWA

That Anderson really reminds me of Steve Sampson's art!

Looking forward to Uncle Umpty!

ming

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 February, 2018, 10:13:35 AM
This is turning into quite the collection. How many of them still exist, or have your older ones been broken down into bits? (If the latter, quite nice in a way that you do now have digital versions of many of them.)

Somehow, all of these have escaped being sent to the vats for recycling - so we now have 14 characters sitting on bookshelves... I'll probably re-gene Rogue at some point since I feel I can do better but for now he's still there, along with Kano, Mean Machine, Judge Fear, Dredd, Alpha & Sternhammer, Stix, Hiss Weerd, Sláine, Nemesis & Torque.  I've got a couple more in the pipeline and thought of another fun one that I'll probably do fairly soon.

I'll get Stud.io versions done for most of them when I get chance, but figuring out actual step-by-step instructions would probably be more use.

Anyway, in the meantime, here's Ump (placeholder eyes, lacking star-motif buttons and Umpty Candy, but I'll sort those out this week).

ming

Managed to get these built this morning with help from the boys; Cal and Fish turned out okay but I really like Uncle Ump - a very enjoyable character to take on.

Ive got a few sketched-out, semi-built figures lurking in the background so I'll try and get something else done in due course, but no rush.  Not getting tired of these anytime soon, at least - although they're tending to get more complex (otherwise I can't get them to work satisfactorily).

Woolly

I've run out of superlatives for these creations. Just cannot praise them enough!

Whilst Tharg may not have the rights to produce official Lego kits, could he not host links to these stud.io versions somewhere so people could still order the parts?
Would that get Rebellion in trouble?