Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 29 May, 2018, 06:06:54 PM
70. Ant Wars, with Fox Galassi
71. Shako, with Conrad Leiden

Woo! It's a Space Spinner 2000 back-to-back creature-feature!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

FoxIsntARobot

Eamonn Clarke

I crave your indulgence, dear listener. as myself and Jenny journey off the 2000AD piste and into the dream world of the Sandman, as created by Neil Gaiman, Shawn McManus, Colleen Doran, Bryan Talbot, Dave McKean et al. If you've not read Sandman it is really, really good, and it's the perfect episode for #Pride month. But don't worry, if it's just 2000AD stories you want then come back in two weeks time for Ant Wars with Fox from the good ship Space Spinner 2000.

Listen in.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/06/68-sandman-game-of-you.html

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm excited for this one! I love Sandman and Game of You is one of my favorite parts of it!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Eamonn Clarke

After our Sandman diversion the book club returns to more familiar territory as Jules Boyle joins me to discuss Slaine the Time Killer with some stunning art by Glenn Fabry and David Pugh.

Apologies for the dodgy sound quality on Jules' audio which is enitrely my fault. Fortunately he has loads of fascinating stuff to say and some interesting tales from the world of fandom in the 1980s.

Have a listen

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/06/69-slaine-time-killer.html

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 June, 2018, 07:50:14 AM
And here's the first of Jules' grail pages.
Glenn Fabry

What do you mean, "first of"?  We only got one page each when R and I did our podcast!  I demand a recount!

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 25 June, 2018, 02:51:40 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 June, 2018, 07:50:14 AM
And here's the first of Jules' grail pages.   Glenn Fabry

What do you mean, "first of"?  We only got one page each when R and I did our podcast!  I demand a recount!

Jules is in his other grail page.

Jules's tales of life beyond the velvet rope at UKCAC '86 * are like an old episode of Parky, where Cary tells an anecdote about the time he and Errol went on a road trip with Judy and ended up spending the evening at Spencer and Kate's place on the coast. Except he's 10.

Fabry and the late Brett Ewins come off especially well from Jules's tales of their interaction with his pre-teen self.  The very best kind of people.

* The one that soured Moore's relationship with fandom forever.

sheridan

(should say that I hadn't listened to the podcast at that point - just up to the Cythrons bit now)

Eamonn Clarke

I allowed Jules a page from both Fabry and Pugh. The rules of the grail page game are somewhat "flexible" shall we say?

Here's his David Pugh page

My recording software failed to record Jules' voice and my backup device was set up wrong (by me) which gave us the dodgy sound. Hopefully we can set up a return visit soon so we can hear more tales from 80s fandom, but without the cracklings, when we discuss Slaine the King.

Eamonn Clarke

The podcast crossover month begins with the fabulous Fox from Space Spinner 2000 and that giant ant attack from 1978. Minor spoilers for the ending of a terrific bit of early 2000AD schlock.

And listen out for a change in the playout music in honour of Fox and Conrad's podcast.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/07/70-ant-wars.html

Colin YNWA

Another great podcast and just how lovely is that Fox! Gushing about the 2000ad community (nice to see he's avoided some places!) and seems genuinly surprised how well he and Conrad have been recieved, apparently oblivous to the fact that if you do something great you tend to get a good reception!