Started by Professor Bear, 20 July, 2017, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2017, 12:47:53 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 July, 2017, 01:58:50 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2017, 12:20:39 AM
MISTY WUZ BETTAH

SCREAM WAS BETTAH

UK magazines like Just 17 had correspondence pages featuring letters that were almost exclusively from male readers[/i] did.

were they all Buttonman?

Professor Bear

Some of them were BM, but the rest seemed to be from some Australian bloke.

Jim_Campbell

Anyway, this is all moot AND NOT JUST BECAUSE MISTY WAS BETTER because you have two books that appeal to different genders and you make one logo smaller?  There was zero chance someone wouldn't pick up on that.  The only sensible thing to do now is double down and try to make perceptions of gender bias a part of the marketing gimmick like we're doing now the makers of Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman did.

1) What's gender-specific about the title 'Scream'?

2) If Pat hadn't waded in with his theory that the decision was based on a sexist intention to diminish the significance of Misty, wouldn't we all quite happily have accepted Henry's explanation that he mistakenly failed to leave enough logo space at the top of the artwork (which he copped to earlier in the day, before Pat decided to get outraged about it)?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

Ooh I'm well looking forward to this. Crackin cover.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 July, 2017, 01:58:50 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2017, 12:20:39 AM
MISTY WUZ BETTAH

SCREAM WAS BETTAH

UK magazines like Just 17 had correspondence pages featuring letters that were almost exclusively from male readers, while the New Eagle had lots of letters from girls and female teachers, but these were still gender-specific publications.
And yes, Scream continued into Eagle for six months, but that still puts it 60 issues behind Misty, which also continued in the pages of Tammy for four years so NYAH YER MUM

Anyway, this is all moot AND NOT JUST BECAUSE MISTY WAS BETTER because you have two books that appeal to different genders and you make one logo smaller?  There was zero chance someone wouldn't pick up on that.  The only sensible thing to do now is double down and try to make perceptions of gender bias a part of the marketing gimmick like we're doing now the makers of Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman did.

Absolutely nowhere did I say that one was better than the other. The reason I can look through the letters pages of both is because I have a pile of both of them sitting right here next to me. I don't prefer one over the other.

And I wouldn't rely on wikipedia for your information if I were you. It was only called "Tammy & Misty" for about a year until Jinty merged with it, with all trace of Misty herself disappearing the year after - whereas the Scream! logo may have disappeared from Eagle after 6 months, but The Thirteenth Floor continued for 3 years, with Max becoming editor of Eagle for a further 3 years after that.

You don't have two books that appeal to different genders. You have two books that appeal to both genders, one saying it's only for girls on the cover, the other with marketing material stating its for both boys and girls and no mention of the gender of the readers anywhere in the publication itself aside from allusions to 'witches and warlocks'.

But whatever, my original point was that Scream! was not gender specific and has a scarier logo, and Misty was originally intended for girls and has an unscary logo.

Steven Denton

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 July, 2017, 02:28:20 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 21 July, 2017, 01:48:34 PM
Cracklin cover.

They're saving that one for Oink! and Bunty.

I would Buy that (as long as Charlie Brooker  was writing it)

Professor Bear

Woolly

Personally, I think the logo placing is a little unfortunate, but if I were editor I'd also put preference to the Scream logo on the cover.

It looks better, and it doesn't need any historical baggage for the casual reader if released at Halloween, because 'Scream!' is a great horror themed title. Whereas 'Misty' is a bit... misty.

Not that it should matter anyway, as Misty herself gets maximum presence on the truly ghafflebette cover!

pauljholden

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 21 July, 2017, 09:11:45 AM
This is a new one-off aimed at a younger demographic who more than likely haven't ever heard of either Scream! or Misty before.

This... this is making me well up...

DrJomster

Totally buying this and giving it to the kids at Halloween! Erm, after I've read it first, obviously...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 July, 2017, 01:22:35 PM
1) What's gender-specific about the title 'Scream'?

Um, only girls scream?

No, hang on, I think I'm thinking of squee(ing).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 July, 2017, 09:34:11 PM
Quote from: Robo-K33F on 21 July, 2017, 09:11:45 AM
This is a new one-off aimed at a younger demographic who more than likely haven't ever heard of either Scream! or Misty before.

This... this is making me well up...

Makes me mad as he knows he's got us 40+ types in the bag already and now he's making YES MAKING us buy this stuff that's not even aimed at our continuity fretting noggins.

What next an actual comic aimed at under 12s... I shudder at the thought

Professor Bear

The Phoenix fills that hole, and even does horror stories around Halloween.  If you can bloody find it, that is.