Main Menu

Prog 2042 - Beware the Hollow Men.

Started by Tjm86, 29 July, 2017, 12:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Again, and for the final time: No more Doctor Who discussion in this thread, please. 2000 AD only.

Any more posts on this subject will be deleted without warning.

Geoff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 July, 2017, 07:58:28 PM
Again, and for the final time: No more Doctor Who discussion in this thread, please. 2000 AD only.

If you're referring to my post...what I was commenting on, was what I like and don't like in 2000ad, in particular the Nerve Centre, not the TV programme (which I don't watch).

It was an element of this weeks prog which I didn't like, surely people can comment on that, it's what this thread is for...

Richard

Tharg can say what he likes in the Nerve Centre; it's his comic. I hope he changed his sex just to piss you off.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Richard on 30 July, 2017, 09:20:13 PM
Tharg can say what he likes in the Nerve Centre; it's his comic. I hope he changed his sex just to piss you off.

Do we even know that Tharg isn't already short for Thargret? :P

McNulty

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 July, 2017, 07:58:28 PM

I apologise that I have caused offence to 2000AD. I have been an avid reader of this publication for many years and in no way wanted to do any harm. I was only making my views on Tharg's editorial known as part of my views on this week's prog as a whole. 2000AD has never been one to shy away from any controversial subject in its wonderful history and I absolutely did not foresee that my comments would illicit such a response as this. I hope that any other contributors to the forums that might remember me would know that I am not a rabble rouser but do have my own beliefs.
Again I am sorry.

Frank

Quote from: McNulty on 30 July, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
I apologise that I have caused offence to 2000AD.

No need; everyone's allowed to call Tharg a baldy twat who can't tell his Stalag 666 from his elbow. Mrs Who's just proven a bizarrely divisive topic, which brings out the worst in everyone (see every post after your own).

In 2000ad news, I see Brendan McCarthy's drawing a new Chopper story.

TordelBack

Quote from: McNulty on 30 July, 2017, 10:23:45 PM...I absolutely did not foresee that my comments would illicit such a response as this. I hope that any other contributors to the forums that might remember me would know that I am not a rabble rouser but do have my own beliefs.
Again I am sorry.

I'd say that it's more that we've had a number of Dr Who thread go nuclear recently, and everyone wants to avoid the same happening on the Review sub-forum (that normal folk might actually read), than that any particular offence was caused. Obviously if Tharg raises it in an editorial, it's fair game for comment, but combining gender matters and Dr Who on an online forum is like wrapping a carefully shaped explosive charge around 53kg of Pu235 shouting 'fire in the hole!'... so best to do it out in the desert.

Jacqusie

Great cover by Tiernen Trevallion, a little different, but his art is firm favourite.

Thought the rest of the prog, including Tharg's Nerve centre was mediocre at best and pretty lame at second best. It's not anyone's fault really, I'm just not feeling any of it this week.

In a word, to sum up, with what I believe the youth of today this malise of disinterest from the depths of ones soul...

...Meh...

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2017, 10:58:36 PM
Quote from: McNulty on 30 July, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
I apologise that I have caused offence to 2000AD.

Where the new Supersurf course has the hazards of Giant facsimilies of Pete Wells' Art compo entry, culminating in a slalom through a debate on a gender-changed pop culture character before crashing into a podcast.

Richard

What Tordelback said. I'm sorry I overreacted.

IndigoPrime

McNulty: Thanks, but there's really no need for an apology. My initial post was an attempt to nip things in the bud. The second one was the same, just with an angry face on.

Geoff: I realise you were referring to something in the editorial, but we've already had one Doctor Who thread locked, and another is clinging on by its fingertips. I'd sooner not derail a third thread – especially a 2000 AD reviews one – with a subject that's already been argued at at length here, in threads that have rapidly turned toxic.

Anyone who wants to talk about the new Doctor, or even Tharg's response to her, is welcome to do so here, assuming the conversation remains civil.

Geoff

Quite understand Indigo, I was unaware of the hornets nest the topic was, had a little look and I see what you mean! Back to the prog!

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 July, 2017, 09:05:38 AM
Quote from: Frank on 30 July, 2017, 10:58:36 PM

Where the new Supersurf course has the hazards of Giant facsimilies of Pete Wells' Art compo entry, culminating in a slalom through a debate on a gender-changed pop culture character before crashing into a podcast.

The Pasty In The Sky restaurant was a great Cam Kennedy design.

Who do we think will be filling the word balloons? TC Eglinton and McCarthy's collaboration on Cursed Earth flying race story Hoverods seems like a trial run ...

CalHab

Anyone else still progless? I was obviously getting complacent with consistent Saturday deliveries. Maybe tomorrow.....

Pete Wells

I just want to say how much I frigging love Grey Area! I adored [spoiler]the Luwot in the last series of the strip so seeing the little pervert back[/spoiler] this week made me really happy! The story itself was a hoot and, once again, showed how versatile this strip is. Comedy one week, hard sci-fi another, political peice the next, I just love how I never know what I'm in for from prog to prog. Great to see that with the tension between the Trump-esque Mabelline Masters and the scandal rocked ETC, not to mention Grell and his goons, Abnett and Harrison are sowing the seeds for larger arcs too.

This is really classy stuff and very much the template for my favourite kind of 2000AD thrills. Grey Area is how I want to see my Judge Dredd series - fresh and exciting from week to week!