Main Menu

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?

Started by Michael Knight, 03 August, 2017, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Was a big fan of these as a kid before i even got into 2000AD. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback with re-releases and new titles being released. There is even a current 'Freeway Fighter' comic which i cant rate highly enough. Tharg the mighty has kindly allowed some of his best droids to work on these!

Pyroxian

More of a Lone Wolf fan myself, but enjoyed the odd FF book - played most of the early ones. The Tinman games adaptions of them have been good fun.

Michael Knight

I vaguely remember lone wolf books but have heard great things about them. Will check them and the Tin man games out! cheers

Pyroxian

The Lone Wolf books can be gotten here: https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books, as the author made them publicly available :)

Michael Knight

JamesC

I love the FF books. Funnily enough a new one has been released today: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1407181297/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

There were loads of different gamebooks back in the 80s. I had a Marvel one featuring The Thing and also a really nice Asterix one with character themed dice.
I liked the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' too, which I think were more popular in the US.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I loved, loved, loved Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. My absolute favourite is Khare - Cityport of Traps.

Also, incredibly excited to see Zanbar Bone is back in The Port of Peril. He was the most memorable villain of the whole series.

Recently received The Trolltooth Wars graphic novel, which I can recommend, especially as it's now possible to buy this without waiting two years (it was originally a massively delayed Kickstarter).

Michael Knight

'Choose your own adventure' books were fantastic. I vividly remember one set in US Civil War in which you helped the underground railroad spirit escaped slaves to safety.

Michael Knight

'Civil War Secret Agent' was the name of it. Great book.

Richard

The FF books were brilliant! I loved these. Best ones were Master of Chaos, Creature of Havoc, Night of the Necromancer and the four Sorcery! books, and the Titan encyclopedia.

The original prose novel The Trolltooth Wars, on which the graphic novel is based, was excellent too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0140324828/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501780214&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=trolltooth

Jonathan Green's 2014 You Are the Hero! about the history of the series is a good book for uber-fans.

Also loved Al Ewing's Dredd spoof of these gamebooks in Prog 2012.

Greg M.

I never like to miss an opportunity to wax lyrical about Fighting Fantasy (and especially the Sorcery! books.) Seem to recall banging on about the Dennis Wheatley-tastic glory of House of Hell on another thread not too long ago. About once a year, I replay Scorpion Swamp and attempt to win without fudging any dice rolls. Am also very happy to own an original bit of art from Deathtrap Dungeon.

SIP

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 07:27:58 PM
I never like to miss an opportunity to wax lyrical about Fighting Fantasy (and especially the Sorcery! books.) Seem to recall banging on about the Dennis Wheatley-tastic glory of House of Hell on another thread not too long ago. About once a year, I replay Scorpion Swamp and attempt to win without fudging any dice rolls. Am also very happy to own an original bit of art from Deathtrap Dungeon.

Damn, I'm officially jealous of that piece of art, whichever of the fantastic illustrations it is from that book. I have the first 35 books and the sorcery books. Coincidentally have been going through deathtrap dungeon this week with my 9 year old son. The mirror that made his head swell up and officially ended his adventure genuinely freaked him out!

I used to buy a couple of these every time we went on holiday to the lake district when I was a boy and they have huge sentimental value to me.  Despite owning the 4 sorcery books since they were originally published they remain the only FF books I own that I still haven't read.  I always preferred Ian livingstones books to Steve Jacksons, with forest of doom, city of thieves, deathtrap dungeon and the island of the lizard king remaining my favourites. Freeway Fighter also rocked despite not having seen mad max at the time I read it.

Greg M.

Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:08:33 PM
Damn, I'm officially jealous of that piece of art, whichever of the fantastic illustrations it is from that book.

It's this one - the first illustration in the book:

JLC

Loved these books. Fighting Fantasy was the best series. Lone Wolf was good. There were a couple other series, one I'm sure in which you could be a were-creature? The artwork was more like old Conan stuff?

SIP

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 09:17:47 PM
Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:08:33 PM
Damn, I'm officially jealous of that piece of art, whichever of the fantastic illustrations it is from that book.

It's this one - the first illustration in the book:

Holy sh*t....the illustration showing the other contenders AND baron sukumvitz. You could only have topped that with the barbarian illustration or the ninja illustration.