Main Menu

Prog 2077: New York State of Mind

Started by Leigh S, 14 April, 2018, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

I just have never enjoyed it, and am not a RT fan either which doesn't help.

Rennie leaves me cold nine times out of ten, much like John Smith.

Each to their own
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 April, 2018, 06:06:49 PM
Each to their own

Quite. As I said, I was just curious, particularly since I try to read everything, having paid for it!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 April, 2018, 09:59:08 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 19 April, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Not so many reviews this week. Is the post-jumping on thrill surge wearing off already?  :o

It can often be the other way around. When folks are happy they get bored of saying - that's GREAT!

In my case I hadn't bothered because I would have just been saying the same thing. And I was late reading the Prog this week so thought the moment has gone.

A couple of things I will say, on reflection are Anderson has lost me a bit the last two weeks and I would have preferred David Roach's black and white art to either of the coloured efforts we have got. Can't quite get my head round the Collins pencils and Robinson inks. To me it looks very Cliff Robinson, which just shows how much influence the inker can have. Not that I know anything about the process,  being rubbish at art myself.

DrJomster

I'm going to echo some of the above love for Strontium Dog. With extra added Wulf to boot! Just wonderful!

Equal awesomeness awards have to got to Jaegir which is wonderful once again! That panel where they're all jumping out of the crashing ship is very nice ndeed.

All in all, a pretty good prog!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 April, 2018, 05:07:37 PM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 April, 2018, 04:15:29 PM
Jaegir I don't read

Just curious... why ever not? It looks great and takes advantage of the magnificent Rogue Trooper milieu whilst neatly side-stepping the problem of Rogue himself.*

*That problem being: (leaving aside my own opinion that Rogue just isn't that interesting) the strip got itself into such a mess towards the end of the Friday era...
(snip)

See, I though the problem with Rogue was that he was a one-trick pony, hunting the TG to avenge his fallen comrades.  Who, about four years after first appearing, killed the Traitor General, avenging the fallen comrades and re-gening the others...

Frank

Bolt-01

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 19 April, 2018, 10:44:04 PM
See, I though the problem with Rogue was that he was a one-trick pony, hunting the TG to avenge his fallen comrades.  Who, about four years after first appearing, killed the Traitor General, avenging the fallen comrades and re-gening the others...

Well, that was kind of my point. It was pretty obvious, post death of the TG, that the strip had no legs without its primary motivation, so we were treated to the (OK, I suppose) Horst stuff, then the ill-conceived 'Hit' series which ran out of steam so badly that it ended up being quietly put out of its misery in the pages of a (Winter?) special. Then we were treated to the equally ill-advised attempts to incorporate the obviously-incompatible Friday version into the main continuity and we ended up with a steaming mess that Tor Cyan only managed to confuse even further.

All of which seems baffling to me. All the problems stem from killing off one character in a series where one of the primary conceits is that it's possible to cheat death. As soon as the strip ran into problems, surely it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of editorial to either a) bring back the TG, or b) reveal that the TG was just one member of a shadowy cabal, the rest of whom were still out to get Rogue...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Now that would have worked nicely, aye.  It was something that they toyed about with a little with the Everglades story and Colonel Kovert.  For me, the other issue was the fact that the wider universe building was not particularly robust.  The conflict on Nu-Earth was fairly self contained and the Nordland / Souther factions were little more than labels, it seemed. 

For me, this is where Jaegir has been more successful than some of the other strips set in this milieu.  His Nordland seems far more real.  Personally I had always envisaged it as some kind of Teutonic society, possibly since a lot of the war stories back in the day still centred around WW2 largely.  I'm not saying that was the writers' original intent, rather that it was my interpretation.  Maybe this is why it works for me.  That plus I really do like Coleby's artwork.

[The Hit was finally put down in the 1999 Winter Special courtesy of Steve Dillon and Chris Weston]

Steve Green

I'm not sure 'princessing it in another castle' with the TG would have been any more successful than the clones/duplicates in 'The Hit'

That kind of thing would piss readers off, I imagine.

Working up the line so the TG was a cog in a machine would have extended it, but I'm not sure if you could have had that journey for decades further.

Frank

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 April, 2018, 08:37:13 AM
Frank- I don't get it.

There go my plans for a three-panel gag strip about Iok Sotot for Zarjaz.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 April, 2018, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Geoff on 16 April, 2018, 07:51:55 PM
Robinson and Collins - what a great team!

Testify brother.

Oooohhh yeah,  that is one fantastic pairing. Two classic artists looking fresh as all get go.  More,  please!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 April, 2018, 09:43:42 AMI'm not saying that was the writers' original intent, rather that it was my interpretation. 

Oh I'd say you're not far off.  "Nain! Genetik infantryman! Stak!" isn't a million miles from "Nein!  Britisher schweinhund! Achtung!".

I've said it before many times, but Helm off to Rennie, between Jeagir and Hunted he's managed to make Rogue Trooper way more interesting than it was in it's stretched-pun heydey*.  After 30-odd years of others trying (and Rennie himself!) I thought it couldn't be done.

*Each week's plot: take a placename, song/movie title or turn of phrase, modifiy it along the lines of the credits of the Simpson's Halloween Special, and write an episode so that delivers that phrase as a punchline... Next!

Tjm86

Thanks.  I think it does help that Rennie has gone for the potentially more interesting of the two sides.  Working into the inherent darkness of the Norts seems to have given far greater scope.

Steve Green

I'd seen the animated Gibbons rogue before, but just spotted there's a more modern Colbyish version of the run cycle on the freakish kid vimeo page.

https://vimeo.com/33226579