Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Frank on 30 March, 2018, 12:50:39 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 30 March, 2018, 08:11:01 AM
Gerry different way

Still the best Rogue Trooper writer.

Ha!

I missed that. And I'm glad I did for that gloriously puntastic gag!

I'm not being sarcastic, that really tickled my sense of humour.

Thanks.

JOE SOAP

Steve Green

We should have a battle of the giant dead heads with Rich and Sky Captain's Larry Olivier.

pictsy

I finished Star Trek Discovery not too long ago.  I wasn't really expecting anything from it, but I had some people suggest I watch it to see what I think.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Although it is ropey and stupid in parts, it actually turned out to be entertaining as its own thing.  I am most pleased that they actually decided to do something different, even if it's not the non-star fleet oriented Star Trek story I long for.  It also looked great and I even ended up liking the Klingon redesign.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can improve on what they've already got.  They did rap up a number of the more interesting elements of the show before the season finished, so it's hard to tell what might be in store.

The Legendary Shark

The Terror. It is 1845 and two Royal Navy ships, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, are searching for the North West Passage through the Arctic. The weather closes in and both ships become trapped in the ice, forcing both crews to hunker down for the winter - there to face sickness, intense cold and something else. Maybe it's a savage polar bear and maybe it's something else...

It's a bit like Shackleton vs. Shako with a sprinkling of H. P. Lovecraft. At ten episodes, some might think this series drags a bit but I enjoyed it immensely because most of the story concerns the characters and their various interactions.

Well worth watching, says I.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

5 Episodes in one go? Yes, The Terror is at the very least enjoyable and entertaining. Been a long while since me and the wife could sit through the same TV outside of the Daily Show and in this case, we binged a whole bunch.

Given that the crew of the Terror are stuck in one, horrible, crap place for over a year... the real horror isn't the thing hunting them. It's just how **** an existence that would be!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 April, 2018, 09:44:53 PM
The Terror. ...

It's a bit like Shackleton vs. Shako with a sprinkling of H. P. Lovecraft. At ten episodes, some might think this series drags a bit but I enjoyed it immensely because most of the story concerns the characters and their various interactions.
Well, the book's at least 200 pages too long so it sounds like a faithful adaptation! There was some good stuff in there though, so maybe I'll give it a whirl at some point.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

On the flip side, I've given up on Homeland, again.

Made it through seven or eight episodes of season one but, by Christ, nothing bloody happens. How this is still going is a mystery to me. Even if it improves ten-fold, it'd be coming from such a low bar that I can't be arsed with the time investment.

Also been enjoying Altered Carbon immensely.
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

THE CITY AND THE CITY
Based on some China Meiville book or other, starring David Morrissey and available on iPlayer. It has something to say about how we are conditioned to ignore parts of the world in which we live but other than that the first episode didn't really grab me, everybody speaks in exposition and a couple of the supporting performances really grate  so I doubt I will be watching further.

More like THE SHITTY AND THE SHITTY.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 April, 2018, 11:49:14 PM
THE CITY AND THE CITY
Based on some China Meiville book or other, starring David Morrissey and available on iPlayer. It has something to say about how we are conditioned to ignore parts of the world in which we live but other than that the first episode didn't really grab me, everybody speaks in exposition and a couple of the supporting performances really grate  so I doubt I will be watching further.

More like THE SHITTY AND THE SHITTY.

Of all of Mieville's books, this is the one that did almost nothing for me, although I know it's well-regarded.  I'm not suggesting that Embassytown or Pedidio Street Station would be easy (or cheap) things to film*, but without having seen it, it does seem a pity that this was the one they adapted.

*Although saying that, the BBC did a decent job of tackling The City of Gold & Lead back in 1985....

Theblazeuk

I really liked City & The City, but don't feel like the tv show (3 episodes in) did a good job of realising the concept. Which would be pretty bloody hard all round I reckon. But it's alright I think, don't find anything grating personally.

Kraken would've been the obvious choice to me though you'd have to be careful to not go all 90s Neverwhere.

sheridan

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 24 April, 2018, 10:07:18 AM
Kraken would've been the obvious choice to me though you'd have to be careful to not go all 90s Neverwhere.

That would have been a serious risk alright.  I'm sure there's a PC Grant/Rivers of London series in pre-production out there somewhere too.

Tjm86

Slowly working my way through Lost in Space.  Not sure yet but it's keeping me going so can't be all bad.  Started picking at Z Nation now that it is on Netflix.  It does seem to have the humour pitched about right so I'll give it that.  Otherwise it's pretty standard fare so I think one to dip in and out of depending on what else is on. 

I think I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out why I'm still watching Designated Survivor.  It was always pushing it a bit in terms of credibility, what with a different 'crisis' every week to contend with.  Now though?  It has the same terrifyingly addictive quality as Britain's Got No Talent.  You know you're killing brain cells but you can't help yourself.  Mind you, it's still better than Eastenders (AKA the Samaritans Promotional Video).

Bolt-01

Westworld is back.

I'm just at halfway in godless, too.

It's a grand time to be a fan of the Cowboy!