Main Menu

Joaquin Phoenix fails at life.

Started by Roger Godpleton, 20 January, 2009, 01:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Is this a genuine mental health issue OR is it some kind of contrivance to appear weird or enigmatic ?

I am beginning to suspect that he is playing some kind of game as the mumbling,beard,sunglasses and matted hair routine has been done before and i am not convinced and if he has had some kind of mental breakdown he wouldnt be appearing on chatshows .Hence the hoax....
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

the shutdown man

Quote from: "peterwolf"Is this a genuine mental health issue OR is it some kind of contrivance to appear weird or enigmatic ?

I am beginning to suspect that he is playing some kind of game as the mumbling,beard,sunglasses and matted hair routine has been done before and i am not convinced and if he has had some kind of mental breakdown he wouldnt be appearing on chatshows .Hence the hoax....

That's one way of looking at it. But personally I'm thinking, if it's a hoax, surely it's doing more harm than good to his career?  Right now a lot of people are thinking that they are watching the downward spiral of Joaquin Phoenix, so if he puts his hands up in a month or two and says "Hey folks, I was just joking", how has that helped his career? Which makes me think it may be real.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TordelBack

Nah, not buying it.  Far too Andy Kaufman.  Why would he go on Letterman at all if he was in that mental state for real?  It's not compulsory.  Why would Letterman have kept him on after the break - agents/promoters aren't going to let that kind of disaster go on.  I'd still go with a publicity stunt for the mockumentary.

Roger Godpleton

Perhaps the most shocking aspect of this hoax is the apparent revelation that Sean "Diddy" Combs has a sense of humor.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

johnnystress

//http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2009/02/12/joaquin-phoenix-david-letterman-a-real-hoax/

Brother-in-law Casey Affleck, is shooting a documentary about Joaquin's transition to a career as a rapper. This movie is widely suspected to be a Borat-style mockumentary about actors and singers expanding their careers in an effort to parlay their marketability. Needless to say, it appears Joaquin's transition from heart-throb actor to bearded-rapper goes horribly wrong. Can't wait to see that movie

the shutdown man

Quote from: "TordelBack"Nah, not buying it. Far too Andy Kaufman. Why would he go on Letterman at all if he was in that mental state for real? It's not compulsory. Why would Letterman have kept him on after the break - agents/promoters aren't going to let that kind of disaster go on. I'd still go with a publicity stunt for the mockumentary.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a celebrity has made a substance-fuelled guest appearance. Even in that clip, Letterman references the Farrah Fawcett incident, there's Kerry Whatsherface on that morning show a month or two ago, and of course, James Brown: //http://www.cracked.com/article_15295_p2.html  Plenty of other examples. As for why they kept him on, maybe they were just enjoying the train wreck?

If it is a hoax/documentary material, fine, I'll eat crow, I just can't see what he has to gain from it.

johnnystress

the shutdown man

Roger Godpleton

"We have a bastard in the audience. I've got a million in the bank. What have you got,"

He got thrown out of his own show.

KleenSlate

JohnnyStress is on the money. I read in this months Empire that he's being followed around by his brother-in-law Casey Affleck who is documenting his life whilst he "destroys" his career. It sounds like some twisted, bizarro performance arts piece to me.

Dandontdare

Oh let's hope this just sinks without a trace and they all have to contemplate the way they've wasted the last few years of their life.

Roger Godpleton

QuoteThe film includes scenes of Joaquin doing cocaine, engaging in oral sex with a publicist, and abusing assistants, as well as male frontal nudity and someone defecating on a sleeping Joaquin.

I am THERE.

Roger Godpleton

Someone bought it! Out in the US on September 10.

Tweak72

The Movies Blog artical is from 2007. Old news perhaps?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++