Main Menu

Rogue Trooper test footage

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 July, 2010, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well the bad news is that the TV show seems to have stalled. The good news is this

http://freakishkid.com/?p=1084

Full story with context here

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/19/rogue-trooper-as-animated-for-the-2000ad-show/

johnnystress

Noisybast

Very nice. Is it just me or is version 1 Dave Gibbons' Rogue and version 2 PJ Holden's?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Van Dom

Ohhh thats cool. Bad news that the show has gotten "stuck in limbo". Man, with all the other dross on tv you'd think the 2000ad characters would be a surefire hit with youngsters. Darn it!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

pauljholden

Quote from: Noisybast on 20 July, 2010, 10:13:13 AM
Very nice. Is it just me or is version 1 Dave Gibbons' Rogue and version 2 PJ Holden's?

Rogue 1 is certainly Dave Gibbons, can't say I'd recognise who did #2 (though #1 is like, a million times better.)

-pj

pauljholden

(I'd say #2 was a mish mash of Si Colbey's work and Cam Kennedy, I'd guess someone did it in house - using the same Gibbon's pose - and redrawing with heavier blacks.)

-pj

ming

Dave Gibbons' art is looking very likely for the origin of the first run cycle... They also lifted the 'helmets on crosses' thing from the Titan reprint cover...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Van Dom on 20 July, 2010, 10:17:20 AM
Ohhh thats cool. Bad news that the show has gotten "stuck in limbo". Man, with all the other dross on tv you'd think the 2000ad characters would be a surefire hit with youngsters. Darn it!
Mm. I'd even add Dredd to that. I recently acquired the LOTD mags, and they're surprisingly good. It's a bit weird that in true Batman animation fashion, pretty much no-one ever dies (and one of Dredd's rules is that he only kills as a last resort), but that's only a jolt when compared to the trigger-happy character we know from 2000 AD. However, the LOTD stuff would work nicely as an animation, and the same could be true if the body count for Rogue could be dropped significantly. Strontium Dog could also be fine for kids (more emphasis on stun guns and taking people alive), although Sláine would be a problem!

radiator

QuoteMan, with all the other dross on tv you'd think the 2000ad characters would be a surefire hit with youngsters.

I'd like to believe so, but I very much doubt it. It's a whole different generation with different tastes and cultural reference points.

I would expect that trying to get today's boys interested in 2000ad would be like trying to get today's girls interested in Bunty. Not likely.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: radiator on 20 July, 2010, 11:16:24 AM

I would expect that trying to get today's boys interested in 2000ad would be like trying to get today's girls interested in Bunty. Not likely.

I thought the same- a couple of years of trying to get my eldest interested in Dredd and 2000AD generally had only given mixed results. Too many of the comics in black and white, you see. However, I've cracked it by a simple one, two, three approach:

1) I got him Dredd Vs Death for the ps2.
2) I bought him Dredd and Death action figures.
3) I got him a complete run of bound LotF comics.

This morning, he was sat on the sofa before school reading them and giggling wildly at Mean Machine being "a little boy who liked bunnies". The comics have short strips, colourful art- and importantly lots and lots of "fact files", which little boys love.

Most importantly though, I had to immerse him in the Dreddverse for it to catch- it was the combination of toys and a game that did it, so all I had to do was reel him in using comcis that are age-targetted.

I reckon now, if I could get him a Dredd tshirt and pyjamas, I'd have a fan for life.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 July, 2010, 11:27:43 AM
Most importantly though, I had to immerse him in the Dreddverse for it to catch

You should market your patented approach to cultists everywhere! 

Hmm, I wonder would it work for getting one's child interested in a lucrative profession to support one in one's dotage... filling the house with Ally McBeal dolls and The Practice DVDs or the like, then shoving a Law textbook in their face.

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Keef Monkey

I like the looks of that a lot. I agree that the LoTF comics were a great gateway, my little brother used to get it and I'd read it too, and they were surprisingly good. He loved them, and got into 2000AD as a result, before giving it all up to be grown up and stuff. Dick.

BMB

I love seeing characters come to life but it always hurts because its only short blips. I'm off to watch that fan made Slaine trailer now. :P

ThryllSeekyr