Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: rogue69 on 27 February, 2024, 11:25:42 PMI was just reading the other day that Ukko was a Indo-European God of the Sky, Thunder, Lightning & Harvest in the same vain as Thor in Norse Mythology
Ukko is also held as the most significant god of Finnish mythology & is Finnish for 'male grandparent', 'grandfather'& 'old man"

Not quite the Ukko we all know and love

In Finland there is a town called Raahe. Raahe has a museum. In the museum is what is thought to be the world's oldest surviving diving suit, (18th century). The diving suit is known as "Wanha Herra" or "The Old Gentleman", is made of leather and has feet resembling traditional Finnish footwear.

This is what the suit looks like...

...which may seem somewhat familiar...

JayzusB.Christ

Well I never.  I recognised the suit immediately, before even seeing the following Horned God screenshots or reading that your post was specifically about Ukko.

As for Ukko being named after the thunder god, it was covered in a relatively recent Sláine one-off I was raving incoherently about in another thread and whose name someone else had to remind me of.  And I've forgotten again - the Bogomil? Probably not but something like that.

Edit- the Bogatyr - cheers,  Barney.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

Strontium Dog: Tales From the Doghouse: Maeve the Many-Armed: Niall of the Nine Sausages (progs 636-638)

1. That's clearly not got enough sub-titles.
2. It's obliquely referencing Niall of the Nine Hostages, who I first heard of today*.

* Because one of his descendant's castles is fa'in doon.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 March, 2024, 04:21:11 AMStrontium Dog: Tales From the Doghouse: Maeve the Many-Armed: Niall of the Nine Sausages (progs 636-638)

1. That's clearly not got enough sub-titles.
2. It's obliquely referencing Niall of the Nine Hostages, who I first heard of today*.

* Because one of his descendant's castles is fa'in doon.

Because Niall was the guy who brought Dt Patrick to Ireland, his name was drilled into us throughout primary school.  The 'Nine Sausages' thing is an old one - I first heard it from my dad who heard it in his own primary school, and spotted Niall of the Nine Sausages in a Wanderly Wagom annual long before he appeared in the prog. (Balor was in the same annual, looking more like a giant cyclops than a baboonm'n.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

So get this - turns out Sydney Sweeney and Mia Goth are actually two different people.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 March, 2024, 03:44:23 PMSo get this - turns out Sydney Sweeney and Mia Goth are actually two different people.

JayzusB.Christ

The first time I watched The Department, over half the film had run by the time I realised Matt Damon and Leonardo diCaprio were two different people.