Main Menu

judges in mega city one

Started by johnnyanime817, 25 October, 2010, 03:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyanime817

i have been reading judge dredd for several years now and have been wondering just how many judges are there in mega city one i know it has to be alot well into the thousands i'v read a story in one of the issues that during the doomsday incident that almost 4,000 judges lost  one of thier hands when thier law givers exploded plus during the Apocalypse War they were able to fight the invading east meggers with thier judges if any one can answer this it would be really helpful and given the size of the city it has to be alot

COMMANDO FORCES

That would be classified information!
Are you a stinkin' Sov?

exilewood

exilewood

Always gives me a chuckle when I go back to the '78 annual, and the Chief Judge says something like "I've called this meeting of all the judges of Mega-City" and there's about eight of them.

Colin YNWA

For some reason I've always had a figure of 10,000 in my mind. I have no idea where I got that from and it seems far too small but I must have seen it somewhere?

Anyway Welcome aboard and have fun.

Radbacker

greetings, i believe there's a thread about this somewhere bt can not find it.  There is a very mad thread on number of cits in MC1 that might mention it.

CU Radbacker

John Caliber

I saw a figure of '59,000' given in the 1980s, but that's way too small to police MC1. It may therefore be describing only the core personnel working from Justice Central (the region encapsulating the Grand Hall of Justice, Academy Of Law etc) and then 300-500 in each sector (the figure was given by a supplemental sector house schematic for 'The Pit' story). Something like that. The tally presumably doesn't include Auxiliary Judges.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

House of Usher

One judge per thousand citizens gives you 400,000 judges, which seems really rather too many.

In the UK there is currently about one police officer per 400 'citizens.' If a mega-city judge were capable of doing the work of 10 British police officers, there would only be a need for one judge per 4,000 citizens, or 100,000 judges.

1 judge per 4,000 citizens = 100,000 judges
1 judge per 8,000 citizens = 50,000 judges
1 judge per 10,000 citizens = 40,000 judges

I don't see how you could get away with fewer than 40,000 judges when Justice Department is at optimum strength. The reason why the density of judges on patrol in the stories sometimes seems unrealistically high is that most citizens spend most of their time indoors, and some hardly ever venture out at all. Thus you may sometimes see as many as four judges policing a plaza with a few hundred citizens in it, because the plaza may serve half a dozen blocks with between 10,000 and 80,000 citizens living in each.
STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Radbacker on 25 October, 2010, 11:57:19 AM
greetings, i believe there's a thread about this somewhere bt can not find it.  There is a very mad thread on number of cits in MC1 that might mention it.
Number of Judges is very briefly considered on this marvellous thread: http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,21095.0.html
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

It's the same number as the number of members of this forum.

All the Judges are descended from me.

You do the math...

...BITCHES.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 October, 2010, 12:10:19 AM
Quote from: Radbacker on 25 October, 2010, 11:57:19 AM
Number of Judges is very briefly considered on this marvellous thread: http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,21095.0.html

Which gives us the exact number thanks to Buttonman: 59,001.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

John Caliber

Taking into account how many gangs and criminal organisations (homegrown and imported) operate in MC1 (and the city's rep for being 'The Most Dangerous City On Earth') the Judges' ranks would be comparable in number to something akin to an occupying army, with Auxilliaries, Senior Cadets and Citidef drafted when a strikeforce approach to crime and local unrest becomes necessary. The entirety of the Brit-Cit Judge-force could probably be squeezed into a handful of MC1 sectors.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/