Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Oh noes! My new working hours involve three 6am starts per week, indefinitely.  :|

On the bright side
* that's three days a week I can go home at 1pm
* I've now got a proper, open-ended work contract and don't have to scrape around for bits of agency work to pay the mortgage
* I get two consecutive days off per week instead of having all my days off separated by work days
* anything I earn from self-employment is now 'extra' rather than essential
* I am pretty sure I can afford to get the roof fixed this summer.
STRIKE !!!

staticgirl

Congrats to all those in congenial work situations... :)

Tiplodocus

The reason this is in the OK thread is because it was Nemesis.

Khan, Voyage, Country, Contact and Insurrection would have had me in Drokking Fantastic. 

All the other in the OK thread except V which would have me in spugs.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 February, 2011, 01:21:53 AM
Insurrection would have had me in Drokking Fantastic.  

:o

The one where Riker shaving off his beard is the most exciting thing that happens?  
The one where Riker flies the Enterprise with a hitherto unseen joystick in the arm of the Captain's chair?
The one where most of the action takes place in the Xena village set?

You're a better man than I, Tiplo Doc.

Tiplodocus

Yep - that's the one.  I like the setting, like the music, like teh fact that they let the crew have a lot of fun.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Roger Godpleton

Michael Moore is suing Weinstein. FIRST COURT CASE EVER TO BE SETTLED BY SUMO AND/OR EATING CONTEST.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Something Fishy

"I hear that Dave. Only 10 years for me but I know what you mean.

In the present climate though I'm just glad to have an income, even if it does bore me senseless and make me feel like I'm treading water. Just have to decide what I actually want to do for the rest of my life and then either nut up or shut up. 

"

10 years for me too last month. I feel much the same really.  With the eye problems i've had i guess i'm lucky to have a found a work situation where i can keep working and an understanding flexible employer.  It's something to be thankful for in this day and age.

House of Usher

I'm not thankful for much, really (let's be honest here), but I can take the rough with the smooth.
STRIKE !!!

Something Fishy

Quote from: House of Usher on 08 February, 2011, 02:31:47 PM
I'm not thankful for much, really (let's be honest here), but I can take the rough with the smooth.

Yeah, that's probably a fair summation of a lot of what life throws at us truth be told.

TordelBack

Would you go so far as to say it's like some kind of rectangular container for cocoa-based confectionery?

Something Fishy

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
Would you go so far as to say it's like some kind of rectangular container for cocoa-based confectionery?
:lol:  Could be

TordelBack

Thanks to the electronic wonders of our modern age, I've been working my way through all four seasons of BBC Radio's Chain Reaction while doing a horribly boring week of night shifts (on top of my regular day... snorezzzzz.. eh.. wuzzat?).  Last night I revisited Stewart Lee talking to Alan Moore, which is still fascinating, and this morning I got to listen to Bill Bailey interview Simon Pegg, which was just dangerously funny.  Out of the dozen or so I've got through so far, only Lenny Henry has been a slightly-dull interviewer (but a good interviewee) and only Brian Eno has been a slightly dull guest.  Oddly Jimmy Carr and Johnny Vegas have been the highlights so far, neither of whom I much care for.  Brilliant series.

radiator

Chain Reaction is great. The Bailey/Pegg episode never fails to crack me up, and one with Arabella Weir interviewing Paul Whitehouse is hilarious too.

I'm not really a fan of Jimmy Carr's usual stand-up material, but I think he always comes across as a really interesting, intelligent and down to earth bloke in interviews.

Paul faplad Finch

I got a phone call this morning from my local newsie telling me that she has managed to order a copy of prog whatever it was (first one back after christmas), which her suppliers failed to ship to her at the time and have since been giving her the runaround on. 

Problem was I didn't get it elswhere when the problem first arose because I always get it from her and I figured it would be soon rectified. Ha!

Anyway, I think she has fucked them off and gone online for it (I'd have done that myself but live by cash and can't pay electronically).

Can't complain too much 'cos this is the first time she's let me down in 15 years and this at least means I'll have a month and a half worth of progs to catch up on when it comes. Hence life being sorta okay   
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

SmallBlueThing

Because yesterday i read a couple of 1966 copies of boy's weekly 'ranger'. In their beautiful oversize pages were to unfinished crosswords, which i completed presumably 45 years on from the last time someone looked at them, AND there's a brilliant 'did you know' page that includes the following: 'everyone knows that if you throw an Australian boomerang it will return to you. But, can you imagine doing the same with an ordinary British football? Believe it or not there is a technique that you can master to throw a ball and have it return to you, like a boomerang. Can you work out what it is? Answer: throw it vertically up into the air.'

Bloody marvellous!

SBT