Main Menu

Prog 2138 - Nightmare Fuel!

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 June, 2019, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Bit of a mixed bag this week - Dredd and Absalom exquisite, Scarlet traces signing off for now with a spectacular double page spread, Thistlebone looking wonderful but perhaps not quite living up to expectations and Anderson PD rather underwhelming. Good to see a Carroll/Flint strip on the way.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 July, 2019, 02:14:34 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 July, 2019, 01:20:26 PM
I've long considered D'Israeli one of the best artists in 2000 AD's entire history. He's vastly under-rated.

It's remarkable that, at almost any point in his career, if he'd settled on that specific style, his work would have been phenomenal but, instead, we've been treated to this wondrous parade of experimentation and reinvention where, every time, the results are just gorgeous to behold.

I miss when he used to write messages around the edge of the page in Timulo - had to check the spelling - would you believe that was thirty years ago this year?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Quote from: Greg M. on 04 July, 2019, 06:55:18 AM
Quote from: Fungus on 04 July, 2019, 01:08:07 AM
I thought everyone loved d'Israeli ?
Certainly not 'vastly under-rated', that's a weird comment.

I dunno about 'everyone' - his work doesn't do much for me - but in that respect I am an undoubted anomaly. (Part of that may be that he's almost always paired with writers or stories I'm not into.) But you're right - maybe he's under-rated in the wider world of comics, but around here he seems regarded as an absolute favourite.

I never used to like D'Isreali's art. I have come round to it now and quite like but don't think he would be in my top 30 2000AD artists.

And I really don't think his style his suited to Dredd (but then again I don't think Fabry's is either and he's my second favourite artist.)

broodblik

I agree with you on both accounts that both D'Israeli and Fabry styles do not suite Dredd but they are both excellent artist. Fabry I always pen down as my numero uno for Slaine. Certain artist will always be associated with certain characters.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Fungus

Not as enamoured of d'Israeli's recent colour work as most, it's great but sketchy in parts. Possibly this isn't helped by the story. For some reason (footnote fetishists might help here) it doesn't grab me at all.

D'Israeli's genius was really shown in Stickleback, the story worked better there too. His textured art is up there with Sky Chariots and Judge Death. Humblest of opinions...

Frank

Quote from: Fungus on 05 July, 2019, 09:31:55 AM
For some reason (footnote fetishists might help here) it doesn't grab me at all

I've written a series of lengthy blog posts on the topic, neebs.

Until last week's Buckie-necking wee Neds in the Wood, I hadn't realised Thistlebone took place in the River City Cinematic Universe*. If only there was some kind of clue in the title.

To be fair to valued board member Frank, ye dinnae get many cannaes or wulnaes fae Avril or Seema. Either they're Westminster cultural imperialists, discovering they can take our lives but they'll never take our furry demon, or - as the focalising characters - they're talking the variety of Scots dialect that forces newsreaders to pause and put the words Oor Wull-aay and taps aff in scare quotes before breathing a sigh of relief and finishing the sentence in their usual fur coat/nae knickers idiom.

Judging by the plot summary on the first page of the comic, Tharg hasn't clocked Thistlebone isn't set in A Field In England either. In other nit-picking news, this week's episode reveals the events of Thistlebone take place before May 2016:

... so maybe the horrific climax towards which Davis and Eglinton are building is the referendum. Thistlebone and his gang do look like members of the Countryside Alliance.

* The first episode did feature a character called Mairi, but I've heard a number of square sausage bashers are lured south to fill vacancies in London's pissing yourself and threatening to murder commuters sector.

TordelBack

Trying not offer any opinions on 2138 until I score 2137 from some dodgy Skinner & Sloper outfit, but CHEESES H. CRUST THAT D'ISRAELI.  My boy. My beautiful boy.

Trout

Beautiful comicbooking from the alien and his robots there this week.

That's great Dredd (I expect he attacked his saviour because he's single-minded and didn't expect to collapse) and I'm enjoying the Anderson story. Absalom is CREEPY AS FUCK and my favourite thing this prog, although Scarlet Traces runs it close, especially for the incredibly beautiful art. Thistlebone is a bit slow for me, but that's a symptom of this type of horror so I'm happy to be patient and do a big re-read later.

Superb prog.

Eamonn Clarke

For those who are interested in this sort of thing the twitter @KennethNiemand confirmed he is the real deal by correctly telling me the first line of this week's Dredd in advance (or at least confirmed that he is someone with droid like AI).)

https://twitter.com/KennethNiemand/status/1147440838944968704

All the other Slim Shadys are just imitators.

Richard

Good work!

Ask him if that's his real name.

TordelBack

Quote from: Trout on 06 July, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
That's great Dredd (I expect he attacked his saviour because he's single-minded and didn't expect to collapse)

My reading was that he had his concealed weapon and was biding his time, but when he learned his captor was a psi and knew about it he went with what element of surprise he could muster. It's hardly the first time he's been incapacitated through injury or in the hands of a telepath, so I reckon he played the percentages.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm loving Thistlebone so far.  A slow burner, like Cradlegrave, which I seem to remember some mumbling spud-muncher on Eamonn's podcast say was one of his all-time favourite things in the prog.  Just hope 'Bone can deliver the goods after all this build-up.

Loving the name Thistlebone too. If I ever buy a second boat, that will be its name.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"