Main Menu

1565 - Blitzkrieg!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 26 November, 2007, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I wonder if it feels long simply because it's stretched over a number of weeks. I.e. I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you read Mandroid:Man of war (to take the Dredd strip for example) as a graphic novel or even if you got to read it in comic form devoted just to that strip (much like X-menm Spiderman or Batman) hence able to set aside more pages in one 'episode' so to  speak. As far as comic stories go, it actually hasn't been that long, it just seems to be cos we get it in 5-6 page chunks I think.

That's not a criticism of the comic though, it's innevitable with the multistrip format (I forget the correct term for this now) though that there are pros and cons (the pros being you get to read lots of stories and discover new characters if your a relative newbie like me. The cons, you get smaller episodes and things can sometimes drag.)

One thing I've noted int he Mandroid story though is that even when it's not all ACTION ACTION ACTION, it's been relevant. Unlike Greysuit and Defoe where you just seemed to get a lot of repeated stuff each episode and it took ages to move the story along.

I also read through the previous episodes of Mandroid recently and it didn't take long at all. I'd like to get hold of the early graphic novel too at some point.

satchmo

Dredd: I've come to terms with my sentry issues- The last few pages of action are probably less than a minute of real time, and on the last page it looks like one of them is either looking through binoculars or raising a gun (second panel). They still let the van drive right up to the building like. Incompetent, yes. But this story has shown Justice Department in a harsh light, as Mandroid 1 showed the worst side of the Big Meg. We've had a man with no arms and legs escape from the cubes, a mole in the department, even Dredd feeling guilty over the botched attempt to take Nate down. And now these idiots. The last panel is sublime.

Twisted Tales: I've read it again since it was explained to me, and I did enjoy it a lot more. Not an ideal situation but I'll give Bob the benefit of the doubt because I really liked the 4 other stories of his I've read.

Sin Dex: Great ending to this series, and some the best art I've seen from Anthony Williams. This strip has improved so much in the last few years.

Red Seas: Giant Nazi Robot. "leave my dog alone!" Best thing in the prog.

Button Man: It's really grown on me after a shaky start, I've got a feeling the car probably isn't going to blow up though!

Dead Eyes looks rather nice.

Apologies to Simon Davis for giving too much thought to a comic ;)

Mardroid

Apologies to Simon Davis for giving too much thought to a comic ;)

Heh, that recent complaint about us judging comics in the Meg is ironic when you consider a lot of modern comics actually have a lot of depth to them isn't it? Particularly as many artists and writers are (rightfully) bemused at comics being seen as a 'kids medium' in the west. True, most 2000AD stories don't have that much depth from what I've seen so far (which isn't much, I only started this year.) That's not a criticism there's room for light fun... the comic version of an action film if you like, but that's the point.

Any genre that can be seen on film can be portrayed in comics. And analysis is a good thing (although to much can be bad.) Might even encourage writers to think about their work more and improve when it's needed. Again not a criticism of 2000AD, I've seen glimmers of depth here and there, even in this Mandroid tale where the villain isn't the all out evil guy they often are in some strips.

satchmo

That's the beauty of an anthology comic, you can have all kinds of styles and tones in the same issue.
And if it's depth you want, 2000AD has had it's moments over the years. Oh, yes :)

Dark Jimbo

True, most 2000AD stories don't have that much depth from what I've seen so far (which isn't much, I only started this year.)

Go and read The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones immediately, young man!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mardroid

Go and read The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones immediately, young man!

You know, that's one book I've thought of getting, heard good things about it. Bit strapped for cash at the moment but when things change (or if I see it in the local library) I'll grab it.

Hope my comment didn't come across negative, I am still enjoying the comic overall. Definitely something nice to look forward to each Monday.

Richard

"That last panel, is it one of those new fangled car ignition buttons or is it actually someone with a remote detonator? "

I think it's actually the ignition key, if you look very closely.

COMMANDO FORCES

Dredd:- The sentry Judges are shite.

Lets go through this step by step.
1. An unknown vehicle is approaching the facility, can't really tell at what speed but it's coming straight at the entrance.
2. As soon as this vehicle appeared the Judges should have trained their weapons onto it as they track it's approach. At the same time asking higher up for info on any vehicles due, etc and also putting out some kind of warning to the said vehicle that it has entered a Judicial area.
3. The vehicle manages to turn and stop right outside the entrance.
4. The Judges should have opened up as soon as it crossed a certain cut off line for unauthorised vehicles, if not then as soon as it stopped or at the very least as soon as the first heavily armed person jumps out the back. Remember weapons should have been trained on the vehicle on the whole of it's approach so that would have been the end of that.
5. There is no need to talk about the rest as they should have all been killed!

Here endeth the lesson!

TordelBack

Well, I'm more than averagely dim (or as Homer would say, i have a history of missing the point of these things), but i thought the Bob Byrne tale was ace - isn't this the point of the FS/TT slot, to give the old noggin a bit of a shake-up?   Something fresh, something clever, something different always has a place in my Prog.

As to the rest of the Prog, I wish that Button Man would never end, and I wish Mandroid would hurry it up a bit.  

Red Seas is interesting, and not entirely in an "oh no not more Edginton/Yeowell Giant Robots" way.

Sin-Dex keeps on keeping on, and that's fine by me.

And a terrific cover.

Steve Green

I quite like the TT strip, but I'm not sure it's quite right for the prog.

It seems a lot of space for a wordless strip and would be better suited to the Meg IMHO.

I really wish Simon Coleby had been able to do the whole of Mandroid 2, I've nothing against Carl Critchlow, but I just think Coleby would have been better on this for the duration.

- Steve

Goaty

Dredd: i knows there loads about The shite sentry Judges.... but who needs them for next wednesday prog! the fury of Nate Slaughterhouse!

scutfink

It looks like I'm in the minority in so far as when I read Dredd this week and noticed it was part 11 i thought 'Really? Time flies eh?' IMO it's been chugging along nicely...

As for Steve Yowell, I love his work, but I never much liked his giant robots, to me they look a bit spindly, a bit clunky (or considering Red Seas is sort of steampunk, not Clunky enough...)

Nicew enough prog though, I too was left wondering what the point of the last five minutes of my life had been by the Bobster...

Peter Wolf

I say jolly good stuff this Buttonman business what ?

A bit daft just getting in the car like that when it is very likely a bomb waiting to go off.Its more likely to be under it but still possibly in the engine but not as likely as the engine itself being more or less a solid block of metal that would absorb a lot of the blast.Its also possible that the car itself was marked by a Sniper as well to make sure that they didnt escape.

A bit difficult really as it looks like an industrial estate  with no cover surrounding it.They could have stayed and picked more of them off but there is always the chance that more goons would be waiting on standby so to escape in the confusion is the best bet .

The Assasins may have been overconfident and sloppy and not bothered with the car at all in which case they are fine.I would have tried the ignition without getting in the car myself as you always have those 2 or 3 seconds before the explosion to get clear.

Bob Byrnes Twisted Tales doesnt work for me really.

Red Seas: Not really engaging with this much as it is a bit surreal which means i should like it particularly the Occult angle.

Sin Dex:Havent enjoyed this at all and it barely held my attention particularly the artwork.

Judge Dredd: A deception involving vincent and his granddaughter.I didnt expect that to happen.He walks away from the General.General Vincent says 'come back or so help me i,ll" ,what does he think he is going to do to stop him ?

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

paulvonscott

I didn't think this story worked as well as the other Bob Byrne ones we've had.  But having said that, I'm glad it was in the prog and I look forward to the next one.

Only other thing I really noted is that Buttonman is getting on for 16 parts... blimey.

Strontium Dad

Regarding the Bob Byrne story, and in particular the explanation that:

When the creatures drink blood, they swell up. So when he bashes his face in, they attach themselves to it and to the other lacerations on his body, blow up, and act like little self-inflating life rafts. This keeps him afloat and helps him survive the sea's rough tossing.

OK, but they're swelling up with blood.  Even ignoring the fact that "blood is thicker than water", wouldn't they need to be swelling up with something less dense than water (eg. air), to improve the guy's bouyancy?  And, if they do, isn't he going to drown once they fart/burp the air out again?

Just askin', is all ...