Main Menu

Order of Graphic Novels

Started by Pioneer, 24 September, 2008, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer

Hi, sorry if this is an old question but is there anywhere on the web that lists the available Dredd graphic novels in chronological order? Was a massive fan back in the mid 80's to early 90's and just picked up Origins for a holiday read and it's reignited my interest. Am looking to buy a couple Case Files every couple weeks along with the more upfront stories, say working back from Origins but am kinda struggling to work out the order in which the stories happen. Any links or help with this would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation

radiator

Theres a bit of overlap, especially where the most recent books are concerned, but approximately it goes:

The Dead Man (Titan)
Tale of the Dead Man (Titan)
Necropolis Book 1 (Titan)
Necropolis Book 2 (Titan)
Judgment Day (Rebellion/DC)
Mechanismo (Hamlyn/Mandarin)
The Pit (Hamlyn)
The Hunting Party (Rebellion)
The Scorpion Dance (Hamlyn)
Doomsday for Dredd (Hamlyn)
Doomsday for Mega City One (Hamlyn)
Satan's Island (Rebellion)
The Chief Judges Man (Rebellion)
Brothers of the Blood (Rebellion)
Total War (Rebellion)
Origins (Rebellion)
Mandroid (Rebellion)

The Art of Kenny Who?, The Carlos Ezquerra Collection, The Henry Flint Collection and The Complete PJ Maybe all feature stories from different periods of Dredd continuity.

For the non-Rebellion books, you'll need to get them second hand.

radiator

You can also slot the Dredd/Aliens book in between Satan's Island and The Chief Judges Man.

Pioneer

Thanks that's brilliant, although have noticed the America story is not on your list and have seen that available on some websites, is it included in one of the novels listed? I had the complete story back in the day in the megazine, have read in various places on the web it's considered one of the best stories, always knew I'd regret chucking everything out all those years ago!

Leigh S

America would fit just after Necropolis in that list - of course, thematically, the Dredd of America is arguably at odds with the Dredd of the post Necropolis democracy stories...

Dark Jimbo

America is currently available in a nice new shiny book from Rebellion. There are earlier editions, but this is the only book that includes all three parts of the saga.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Yep right, I knew I'd forgotten something. I would personally put America just before Origins on the list, as America book 3 references the events of Total War.

radiator

The Dead Man (Titan)
Necropolis Book 1 (Titan)
Necropolis Book 2 (Titan)
Judgment Day (Rebellion/DC)
Democracy Now! (Hamlyn)
Mechanismo (Hamlyn/Mandarin)
The Pit (Hamlyn)
The Hunting Party (Rebellion)
The Scorpion Dance (Hamlyn)
Doomsday for Dredd (Hamlyn)
Doomsday for Mega City One (Hamlyn)
Satan's Island (Rebellion)
(Vs Aliens) Incubus (Rebellion)
The Chief Judges Man (Rebellion)
Brothers of the Blood (Rebellion)
Total War (Rebellion)
America (Rebellion)
Origins (Rebellion)
Mandroid (Rebellion)

radiator

I've taken Tale of the Dead Man off the list, as I've just remembered that Necropolis Book 1 covers that material.

I've also added Democracy Now!, which I'd forgotten.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "radiator"Yep right, I knew I'd forgotten something. I would personally put America just before Origins on the list, as America book 3 references the events of Total War.
The first America story predates Total War by some way, though. In fact, I'm pretty sure it predates Judgment Day, too.

Pioneer

Thanks for all the help massively appreciated...
Have seen other graphic novels around such as Death Aid which I think follows on from Necropolis, is this not on the list cos it's not exactly classed as a novel? Pretty sure there's a few other titles I've noticed but can't remember the names?

sandman54301

I believe that Death Aid, Justice One, and Emerald Isle all fall shortly after Judgement Day. This is only a guess, however.

PsychoGoatee

Here's the order for those:

Necropolis (Progs 674 to 699)

Death Aid (Progs 711-715 & 719-720)

Emerald Isle (Progs 727-732)

Justice One (Progs 766-771)

Judgement Day (Progs 786-799, & Megs v2 004-009)

I've got some time on my hands.  :mrgreen:

radiator

I didn't include all the graphic novels. I was biased to those that I think are worthwhile, and are part of a larger narrative to give you the essential Dredd experience. I could have included stuff like Death Aid, Fetish and The Three Amigos, but I thought you might be put off by such a long list.

As for America, it includes stories from 1990, 1996 and 2006, so it doesn't really slot in neatly anywhere.

Pioneer

Ok cool thanks for the help, looking forward to completing my mission now!