Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: J.Smith on 22 May, 2015, 04:15:44 PM
No mention of The Witcher 3? What madness is this!? Yeah, if you're a fan of action RPG's, story-driven games or huge open worlds, then you might want to pick this up, regardless of whether or not you've played the previous two. As a big fan of the last two, which are a couple of my favourite games period, I've been amazed by how this one has far surpassed them in every respect. Still only in the first major area of the game (which feels really vast but, compared to the three main areas the game takes place in, is actually tiny, which is ridiculous) but if the rest are as incredibly detailed as this with amazing quests of their own then I can safely say that this is easily one of the greatest games ever made without a doubt.

I'm very tempted to waste money on that game next time I get paid.

Rog69

Quote from: J.Smith on 22 May, 2015, 04:15:44 PM
No mention of The Witcher 3? What madness is this!? Yeah, if you're a fan of action RPG's, story-driven games or huge open worlds, then you might want to pick this up, regardless of whether or not you've played the previous two. As a big fan of the last two, which are a couple of my favourite games period, I've been amazed by how this one has far surpassed them in every respect. Still only in the first major area of the game (which feels really vast but, compared to the three main areas the game takes place in, is actually tiny, which is ridiculous) but if the rest are as incredibly detailed as this with amazing quests of their own then I can safely say that this is easily one of the greatest games ever made without a doubt.

I am interested in this but held off due to having too much to play at the moment, I will probably pick it up later though.

I did play the first one and enjoyed it but never really liked the combat system, have they changed it in the subsequent games or is it still the same?

J.Smith

Quote from: Rog69 on 23 May, 2015, 10:33:43 AM
I did play the first one and enjoyed it but never really liked the combat system, have they changed it in the subsequent games or is it still the same?

Yeah, although I enjoyed the first game's combat a great deal myself, in the second they went for greater focus on action, so you have free control of your movements during fights in that. It mostly works very well but early on the combat is frankly a pain in the arse, because you have to put several of your ability points into a training skill tree before you can upgrade your character properly and "fix" what sometimes feel like glitches (e.g. your rolling range is so short early on that enemies can still hit and kill you mid-roll). Once you can do the latter it's very fun, though I save myself the frustration early on and use a mod to get more points per level.

The combat in the third game's the best by far. The camera takes some getting used to but it's much more responsive this time around and there's none of that frustration from the start. It's not anywhere near as quick and snappy as the Souls series' melee combat if you've played that (most people seem to be comparing it to Assassin's Creed but it's nowhere near as mundane and easy as that), but it's what it reminds me closest of in that it's very fair, no matter the level of enemy you take on, so long as you know how to manage your abilities and can dodge well. It's better in other ways too, mostly through minor improvements. For example, the combat in the second game didn't really feel impactful outside of special mini-cutscenes for your finishing moves. They tried to put in dismemberment but it never felt right and the ragdoll physics often meant that most enemies would crumple the same way over and over. Needless to say, the melee combat and your magical skills feel really good this time. The latter abilities have a number of great alternative modes this time and the former feels Game of Thrones-esque, which is to say intense and brutal.

So yeah, big improvements all around. Following my last post, I've made it to the first properly big area of the game and I'm happy to confirm that it actually is as insanely detailed and filled with quests, not to mention non-quests like small random encounters, as I hoped it'd be. This is a really damn impressive game, one of few where I make surprising discoveries that I can't believe the developers put in or learn of them from other players (e.g. a friend pointed out that an upgraded Quen, your shield ability, can protect you from the rain, which is nuts!). Considering the ridiculously huge size too, I'm also astonished by what the game doesn't tell you. In the first area you can piece together a whole small story about a hunter who helps you and the fate of an abandoned settlement, but you have to be paying attention to the characters to notice it. Other times you'll come across things that don't activate a quest - and if they do, aren't spelled out to you - but are part of the world, and you can often figure out what happened through paying the environment attention, which is always good to see.

It really didn't disappoint and if MGSV: The Phantom Pain can do so too later this year, then I'm set for ages with them and don't really feel the need to buy much else.

ThryllSeekyr

Playing Adventure Capitalist via Steam right.

It's just about buying Lemonade Stands and Oil-Well and a lot of thing in between.

Once you buy mangers for the business you purchase, they automatically make profits for the business that represent.

You can also buy upgrades or you can sell everything again to get some Angel Investors on board.

I've done so three times and I've just about repurchased all those business's again.

The games keeps playing even when it's been shut down, and once you start it again a day or week later, you will have plenty of money to repurchase the business's multlple times as well as more managers and upgrades.

Makes me wanna do this in real life, but I'm too broke for now.

ThryllSeekyr

Installing The Witcher Three - The Wild Hunt right now....

ThryllSeekyr

I've started p[lay the new Witcher, and without spoiling it for you (I ran out of hard-drive space which ended the game video I was making just after Geralt finished racing the girl (His daughter????) to the bottom. (He Won!)

So far so good,  there are still few things I'm not happy with, (You can't re-arrange the furniture, knock things over, break stuff, adjust his pony tail or comb his hair!)   Yet, I won't delve too far with those thought here. Everything else looks really slick about this game and there are some nice touches (Despite how little of this I have played!) 

The control feels overly sensitive and this makes it hard to run or even walk around with any type of precision (I had him constantly running into things during the dash to the bottom of the keep and the lighting with regards to sunlight or maybe bloom effects is extreme. Although, I believe some more tinkering with control and graphics options may fix this.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out he could jump over the balcony where he start the game and feel to his first death. OH well, but at least that is improvement over the last game.

Still looking forward to playing the rest of this.....

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: CheechFU on 07 May, 2015, 01:12:36 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 May, 2015, 02:33:47 PM
Here is Dwelvers videos......

This game is given me some in sight on the War-Spasm

Just pm me if want to know more about that one  ;)
haha 200 shortcuts on the desktop

If you said icons, it might have been funny. Just look at my wallpaper......

ThryllSeekyr

This game may not be what it promises,  after the initial impression, and I was thinking it's may be just cheap rip off of Middle-Earth - Shadow of Mordor , Skyrim with it's autonomous combat (While the fighting may not be exactly the same here, it does have the similar cinematic quality!) and a magic system that almost freezes the game while you switch spells. While the action continues in slow motion. yet, you can still use your weapon as you do and the look and feel that is almost inspired from the former as well as Red Dead Redemption. Except, I do notice a drop in the graphics quality when compared to the other games. Although, it's hard to deny the game own beauty. Especially. when he uses his special sight. It's like Occulus Rift and might be really amazing using this actual device.

There is also the obvious way that most objects can't be moved, showed or pushed aside and are just not able to be interacted with.

The so called , open world, is more limited than I would have expected and right now I have two quests that required extensive poking around to finish. Despite having exhausted the most apparent options. Every time I reach the edge of the playable area, I am sent back to map screen with a message that beyond this pace is where the devils play.

Monsters and bandits are the only attackable things in the this game. This is where Red Dead Redemption trumps this game. Remember the good old days where you could just about target anybody.

I've onlyhad Geralt,  encounter,  numerous Ghouls, Drowners, Dogs/Wolves,  A Wraith and some Bandits. I have not seen any of the flying beast that have been featured in a lot of the pre-game screenshots. Only the [b[Griffin[/b] which was part one of many cinematics where it proved to be temporarily untouchable and have met three men (Assuming  they are unrelated!) who look almost exactly alike.

No I only just scratched the surface of this game and will not completely condemm it until I have played a good deal more of it. Unless my version has been restricted in some way.  I only hope the game developers don't believe that if they could do this game the way it seemed it might then they might also tell me they could very easily kill me.

CheechFU

Open world does not mean furniture moving emergent jerk simulator.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: CheechFU on 26 May, 2015, 10:52:30 PM
Open world does not mean furniture moving emergent jerk simulator.

That should be in one of his skill trees  :P

ThryllSeekyr

The Witcher Three - Wild Hunt is getting better, and I continue to play tis just to see amore it and but still find some of the gameplay very confoundedly lame in parts.

The loading screens break the immersion....wasn't this world meant o be seamless.

ThryllSeekyr

Is anybody playing this game.... The Witcher Three - Wild Hunt

Getting into it, despite my complaints, and now I'm stuck fighting the Royal Griffin. Control are very awkward if you playing this with a mouse and keyboard. It's very difficult to press specific buttons while dodging this flying beast. 

Tiplodocus

I think some people refer to the game above.

Codename S.T.E.A.M demo on 3DS. Rather fun and I think I shall purchase. Reminds me a little of Rebelstar Command.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

I was trying to find the thread about a few boarder here who were had their hearts set on this game months ago and keep finding something else about the very first in the series.

BTW, I beat the griffin, it is toast.

I only have to video it because I took me several attempts before I got it right.

Keef Monkey

Went back to Mordor to play some of the DLC (the Lord of The Hunt stuff), it was only a couple of hours end to end but it was great to go back to that game and remember how damn satisfying it all is. Been watching some of the recent Mad Max trailers and thinking that could turn out to be this year's Mordor but with cars. Can't wait!

Also been playing The Evil Within again but on Nightmare difficulty and it is hard as NAILS. So difficult, and quite frustrating but I'm still enjoying the atmosphere of the whole thing, really like that game.