Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Chivo

Haven't watched this in a while, it fukn ROCKS!

Chi

I, Cosh

Watched The Good, The Bad, The Weird this evening. A tremendously entertaining Korean pseud-Western made with a whole barrelful of style, panache and fun. Watch it.
We never really die.

Radbacker

The Green Hornet - very entertaining but missing some ingredient to make it special.

Eragon has got to be the worst movie I've ever seen (and i really like some shite movies).

CU Radbacker

COMMANDO FORCES

I watched Almighty Thor on SyFy the other night and it only took me about 10 minutes, as I fast forwarded through most of it.

This was one of those films that are so bad that they actually really are that bad  :-[

Radbacker

QuoteI watched Almighty Thor on SyFy the other night and it only took me about 10 minutes, as I fast forwarded through most of it.
I'm friken starting to hate this lot, asked a mate the other day if he'd seen Thor said yeah but he couldn't bleieve it had actually got a cinema release, the biggest load of toss he'd ever seen, of course it was the Asylum Thor.  F%$k you asylum.

CU Radbacker

Spaceghost

Watched Super over the weekend. Really funny with lashings of the old Ultraviolent. It actually manages to grab you emotionally towards the end too, which came as a surprise.

And Ellen Page is 'Super' hot. Am I too old to fancy her?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

Me and my girlfriend have finally got round to watching the cult 1999 Judd Apatow Tv series Freaks and Geeks. It never got a DVD release in the UK, and I think it's only ever been shown over here on E4 back when that channel first launched.

It's really amazing, and the cast is like a who's who of modern comedy talent - including Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, James Franco, Jason Schwarzman and Rashida Jones. The subject matter is nothing especially original - high school life in 1980s USA complete with geeks, jocks, cheerleaders etc, but it's handled with such confidence and lightness of touch that the result is utterly charming and joyous. It's also laugh out loud funny while somehow being subtle - the humour is always underplayed, and never feels artificial or OTT as in something like The Inbetweeners. Its also very sweet and touching but never feels manipulative or overly sentimental. Great use of music, too.

It's a crime that a show of this quality only gets given one series, while the likes of the bloody awful Big Bang Theory go on to great success.

Richmond Clements

The A-Team. Bloody brilliant entertainment. Loved it.

I, Cosh

Machete. I enjoyed it but it was more of a missed opportunity than anything else. I'm sure it's a barrel of fun for Rodriguez and his mates to sit around planning out where to incorporate absurd cuts and so forth but with the cast and enthusiasm here they could easily have made a legitimately good action film.

Cheap old films are good in spite of their limitations not because of them. I'm sort of deliberately missing the point, but the whole enterprise seems a bit like getting together a bunch of great old artists and writers for a new comic and deliberately printing it on bog roll and including lengthy recaps at the start of every story just because that's how stories you used to like were presented.
We never really die.

Mardroid

I watched two films in Film 4 horror season, thing tonight. (There were actually three but I have Let the Right One In on DVD, and I tend not to watch what I can grab at any time. Which is probably silly, but anyway.) Cracking film though that is.

Okay, I watched Near Dark and British film The Disappeared.

I've seen Near Dark before a couple of times, but last time was a while back. I remember it not being very good, but I thought I'd give it another chance.  I still don't think it's particularly good, although it was watchable, and it was interesting recognising certain actors who passed me by last time.

For example, I suddenly recognised that the girl who plays Henricksen's character's girlfriend is she who played the lady with the huge gun in Aliens and the foster mother in Terminator 2, Jenette Goldstein. Just checked her Wiki, to catch the name and she's 51 now. My time flies! Oh and I recognised a young Adrian Pasdar (I had to look his name up again, I'm good with faces but not names so much), he who played the older Petrelli brother in Heroes as the main character Caleb.

Anyhow, an interesting modern(ish) take on vampires but not very good, as I said.

The Disappeared turned out to be rather good. It only came out a couple of years ago and it somehow passed me by. A mixture of ghost story, murder mystery and drama about emotional trauma. I guessed some of the outcomes including the killer ([spoiler]I actually wished they'd chosen someone else considering relatively recent headlines, but anyway,[/spoiler]) , and it sometimes fell into cliche territory but it was genuinely creepy and had some good twists and turns.

Zarjazzer

The Humanoid 1979. An Italian Star Wars rip off starring Richard Kiel ("Jaws" in the Bond movies) as the Humanoid -mind meltingly mad with special effects by Kellogg's and dialogue by Chip 'n Dale.

Beyond description really. The shock of it still hasn't worn off. True trash film fans should see this utter celluloid train wreck. Even Barbara Bach in leather can't save it. :o

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

Ridely Scott's Robin Hood. It really is indescribably bad. And I do not enjoy saying that- I like most of old Ridley's stuff, but this was a total mess. And it was the apparently better director's cut we watched too.

The Legendary Shark

Hobo With a Shotgun.

I know this is supposed to be ironic and all, but that's no excuse for something this abysmally bad. Awful, just awful.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Xtro
Yeah, as far as schluck movies go, this was prity good.
By low budget sci-fi-horror standerds, it was probably one of the better examples.
But by movie standards it was a mess.
I still kinda liked it though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 August, 2011, 07:07:32 PM
Ridely Scott's Robin Hood. It really is indescribably bad. And I do not enjoy saying that- I like most of old Ridley's stuff, but this was a total mess. And it was the apparently better director's cut we watched too.

It's no wonder he's goin' back to the well that granted him his career. Hopefully his next efforts are more than an old crooner singing cover versions with a lyric prompter.