Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Eamonn got me to do just that at the weekend.

Take part, Squaxx - you know it makes sense.

judgeurko

Just discovered this podcast. Really enjoying it sending my down memory lane.

JayzusB.Christ

Hugely enjoyable episode there.

Wellsy always keeps me entertained.  I'd have to disagree about the young Garth nailing Dredd's dialogue* and I still have very little time for Judgement Day but I could have listened to Pete and Eamonn chatting about it all day.

*'You gotta be some kinda meathead pickin' fights at a time like this, Sadu! That's what's the matter with you yokels - so much pride an' honour bull you can't do the gruddam job right!' 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Just started listening to the Judgement Day episode and had to stop, a broken man.

The lovely Pete Wells uttered a line that has completely changed my view of him... a man who I've previously always admired, respected and enjoyed his chicken based shoulder eagles.... but Pete said... wipes tear... Pete said...

He's rather read Judgement Day than Cursed Earth. Christ I feel like I be called up by the news and interviewed to say.

"Well I just didn't believe a man like Pete was capable of such a heinous act. He always seemed so happy and loving. A man of infinite cheer and good nature. How he could commit this atrocity... well it... it jjjust floors me."

By all that his good Pete 'formly lovely man' Wells reach out to us, we're here to help you. We can turn this around, I'm sure... I ... I ... I hope.

Eamonn please if you are going to broadcast stuff like this I think you should put a warning at the beginning so at least we are prepared and choose whether to listen or not.

matty_ae

Quote from: Andy B on 12 November, 2019, 12:14:51 PM
That was an excellent rant about singing in comics. 100% agree!

(Also, good episode: time for a re-read)

I mis-read this as a 'rant about signing in comics' and it reminded me of my worst ever comic signing.

Thank you Garth for this

Leigh S

What did we do  on long train journeys before pod casts - Space Spinner got me to Blackpool on Monday, and MCBC got me back home to Brum this afternoon

I am exactly half in agreement with Pete about Ennis's Dredd stuff

I too love the opening episodes - Garth does have a good handle on Dredd, seemingly. 

The big problems are "comedy" villain (imagine if it was Murd the Oppressor!), trying to outWWagner agner by killing off characters and blowing things up (honestly, Dekker?  bastard!) and 'that' fight.

Having Dredd beat up Sadu, fair enough - established in the other story that Dredd took a fall, so hey, if it makes your fanboy desire for Dredd to be TEH BEST! then go for it.  Having him beat up Dredd AND Alpha?  Garth lets his Dredd worship get the better of sense and story.

The "beyond Insanity" line is just an inferior version of the "EYeless in Hell" bit of City of the Damned isnt it?

I also think Ennis's Dredds were variable - I was rooting for him at the time as he was clearly geunninely a fan, unlike Morrison and Millar who were the opposite, so might have overlooked a few dodgy moments.

That said, Death Aid I hate for taking the brilliant Hunter's Club and turning them from clever killers into just a bunch of psychos was not required - create your own bunch of psychos please mr E!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 November, 2019, 08:16:15 AM
Eamonn please if you are going to broadcast stuff like this I think you should put a warning at the beginning so at least we are prepared and choose whether to listen or not.

You're quite right, Colin. My apologies.
For anyone who hasn't listened yet this episode features a naked Mackem with contentious views and a passion for steak baked pastry products from a shop called Meggs.
You have been warned.

Eamonn Clarke

I met up with Gareth A Hopkins at this year's splendid Thought Bubble to chat about Revere, the witch-boy of London by John Smith and Simon Harrison.
Check out Gareth's own comics at www.grthink.com
Listen in to our discussion.
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2019/11/107-revere.html

JayzusB.Christ

Lovely! That's brightened up having to work on a Sunday for me.  I love Revere, and think it was underrated.  The magic-riddled globally warmed London setting was brilliant, though I have an awful feeling that Revere wasn't quite of age when he was shown having [spoiler]his first shag[/spoiler].
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Great discussion! Gareth's observation that Revere's plots - like all John Smith's plots - are really simple is very astute. It's the way he tells 'em.

Given that many 2000ad readers find the average Dredd story a bit confusing, it's no surprise Revere often crops in discussions of the nineties malaise, but lumping this in with mediocrities like Dead Meat or Babe Race makes no sense.

The idea that Harrison based Revere on himself had occurred to me but I'd never considered the possibility of the Astrologer as Smith's fictional avatar. Thought-provoking stuff - thanks.

Eamonn Clarke

A bonus episode for the forum advent calendar.
Lots of Tharg's finest creators and several super-fans discussing their favourite Carlos Ezquerra stories, characters, moments, or personal memories of the great man.

Listen in at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2019/12/108-remembering-carlos.html

Bolt-01

Eamonn - I don't normally do podcasts - but I've made an exception for this - and I'm glad I did. I'm now sitting at my desk at work remembering Carlos and once again feeling just how much we've all lost.

Some fantastic tributes.