Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Run Roo Run - a cool one-button platformer on iphone from the makers of Scribblenauts.

It's really very good, and well worth the 69p.

SpetsnaZ99

Shaun White Snowboarding on my Mac.

Anyone got any clue what im supposed to do?
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

NorthVox

Marvel Ultimate Alliance and SimCity 4.

Keef Monkey

Finished Max Payne 2 (again) last night.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

MInecraft.

The game that's not really a game. More like a toy. Digital Lego.

For those that aren't savvy, it's a sandbox game in its purest form. You spawn in a randomly generated, blocky world. the only instructions are 'Press 'E' to access inventory'. It's impossible to play without consulting the wiki. I would normally call that cheating, but this game is very different to other games.

The basic idea is this: Ye get wood(careful now, down with that sort of thing), make a workbench, use the workbench to make tools then use said tools to gather resources and build a shelter before night falls. Monsters come at night. Monsters like Zombies, Giant Spiders and Skeletal Archers. There are things called Creepers, they're basically penis shaped hedgerows that blow up if they get too close. And Endermen. Whovian abominations from another dimension who only attack if you look directly at them. Wouldn't be a a problem if they didn't keep using their powers of teleportation to appear right in front of you.

There are no rules and no real goal. There's an end game involving a dragon fight, but it has little to do with the spirit of the game. You make your own rules. Youe make your own fun. Once you have yourself set up with a secure shelter and reliable food source, you start looking around the landscape and thinking:

I don't like that mountain, I'm gonna craft me some TNT and blow the bitch up.

Or:

Y'know what, I'm going to fill this crevice with lava.

Or:

Holy shit, I can make minecarts and tracks. FUCKIN' ROLLERCOASTER

And it goes on and on....

And before ye know it it's three in the morning and ye should have been in bed hours ago
You may quote me on that.

Satanist

Seen a video a while ago of a guy that had built a replica of starship enterprise using minecraft.

The scale of the thing was fucking mind boggling.

Impressive and totally pointless all at the same time! :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

I think that Minecraft is one of those things that I'll never understand the appeal of.

Rog69

For me it's one of those games that will never get a look-in because I know it will swallow me up for weeks and I have so many other games to play as it is :).

Radbacker

Yeah I simply fdont have the time to waste on something as epic as Minecraft, kudos to the dude that built an actual working computer though, sure it was just a big calculator but still genius.

CU Radbacker

NorthVox

Quote from: Rog69 on 20 January, 2012, 06:43:36 PM
For me it's one of those games that will never get a look-in because I know it will swallow me up for weeks and I have so many other games to play as it is :).

This pretty much. I've been playing SimCity 4 non-stop since its release. Minecraft is exactly the kind of game that I need to avoid should I wish to retain any sense of freedom.

Keef Monkey

Finished The Darkness 2 in a couple of sittings over the weekend, it's a pretty short game. Played it on hard and a couple of fights took a few tries, but the whole thing was over in about 5hrs maybe. I loved every minute of it though and there's a separate co-op campaign which I hear is pretty substantial.

I loved the original game, despite the gunplay being really clunky it had some brilliant character work and a story that was genuinely involving and upsetting in places as a result. This is a different studio though and I'll admit I didn't expect it to match up, but the combat is way tighter (pretty fiddly to learn but hugely satisfying once you do), the writing is still great with the somber tone of the first game carrying over, and the visual style is just gorgeous. A little like Borderlands and a perfect fit for a comic book adaptation, I found myself just soaking it all up at points. Story-wise it might lack the same unexpected punch of the first games twists, but does some similarly interesting things with the game mechanics to make you really feel involved in the love story at the core of the whole thing, and there were times where I felt conflicted and hesitant about a pressing a button on the controller, and if a game can invest a simple act like pressing X into something that twists your gut a bit then it's doing something very right.

Oh, and Mike Patton sounds terrifying throughout, as expected.

Durendal

Gotham City Impostors. It's like call of duty multiplayer except it's fun and you are a guy in a homemade batman/joker costume, with a cardboard mask and possibly on rollerskates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1qrY0ctPY

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Jet-pack Joyride is so addictive, I think if I have a game, instead of a cigarette, I may finally kick my nicotine dependency
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Jak and Daxter Trilogy collects the three PS2 Jak games made by Naughty Dog (makers of the Uncharted series) before it got lost in sub-par spin-offs like Jak X, Lost Frontier and the okayish Daxter, and it is one hefty slab of gaming for your twenty-odd pounds.
A smooth upgrade from the PS2 version, you'd have a time pegging J&D1 as a ten year-old game as it's a solid and polished platformer with a well-judged difficulty level.  Jak 2 is more of the same, only with more variety in the style of challenges it throws at you and a higher - but still well short of impossible - difficulty level and some GTA stylings thrown in for good measure in the open world sections, while Jak 3 - despite some random scripting to accommodate a great variety of minigames, challenges and unlockable in-game content - is still one of the finest last-gen platformers you'll find.  I've already played these games inside out on the PS2 and on my last speed-playthrough of Jak 3 (the shorter game of the trilogy) I clocked in 7 and a half hours before finishing it, so a conservative estimate is that you'll get between fifteen and twenty hours of play from a basic run through the story modes on this even if you're a platforming master, which is better than you'll manage with most games in terms of value for money.

Durendal

Syndicate
Yes I am old enough to remember the first and jaded enough to be bitter about an attempt to re-imagine it as a fusion of call of duty and deus ex.
But I bought it anyway.
The single player is pretty meh and the bloom levels have damaged my eyes, it's only redeeming feature is the totally sweet guns.
Co-op is awesome though