Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Mardroid, 25 July, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orinAGN

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 October, 2012, 09:17:29 PM
Mmm... maybe you missed my post about not making this personal?
This stops now.
By all means, talk about how Prometheus is rubbish, but do not make any more posts like this.

My sincerest apologies.

Prometheus was a major disappointment. 

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 October, 2012, 10:50:13 PM
This thread has become tiresome in the extreme now.

That pretty much sums up Prometheus.

This thread has reached its natural conclusion.

Hahaha!  Oh... so very true.

Look, I acknowledge that I played ONE PART in the thread becoming tiresome.
But if it helped lead to your comment, which brought a nice big grin to my face, then I regret nothing.

Thank you, sir.

orinAGN

Tried to modify my above post, but no longer had the option. 
Wanted to included my comments in that one, as to not double-post.

So, back on topic...

My thoughts on Prometheus...

I found it mediocre overall.
It felt like a fan-film. Which is accurate, because Scott is a fan of his own work, spending 2 hours patting himself on the back.

I walked away from this movie, not filled with hate, but astoundingly disappointed.

This movie was an absolute void of intellectual stimulation. It was simply a gaping empty vacuum, where intelligent movie-making should have been. This notion is only made worse when you acknowledge the fact that the film throws in plot-points and the beginnings of stimulating observations throughout the film, and then DROPS them like a hot plate.

The CGI was decent enough, but nothing spectacular.
I would have been more impressed by the Space Jockeys if they didn't constantly remind me of The Zentradi from Macross (about 3 decades ago... so nothing original or fresh or new for me).
And the prosthetic effects for Weyland were terrible.

And THEN the movie has the NERVE to pull that crap where people run from a falling object.
I'm referring to Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron stupidly forgetting how to move out of the way of a falling object.
It's an example of "movie-stupid" only there for a poor attempt to build suspense, which is stupid, because EVERYONE in the audience is thinking, MOVE to the side.

The fact is, Prometheus just doesn't succeed in what it should have done.
The acting was wooden and stilted from almost everyone.
The ONLY parts of this movie I really enjoyed was the beginning moments of the actual story, on the ship.
Watching David, alone while others slept had a very 2001: A Space Odyssey feel to it. And I enjoyed his obsession with "Lawrence of Arabia".
And Idris Elba as the Captain. He was a great character. So fun, and unique, and realistic. All the other characters were 2-dimensional plot-devices.
In fact, Elba had one of the best scenes in the film.  It's the Captain and his two lieutenants, they're laughing under their breath. At the two assholes (the "cowardly stupid scientist" and the "i hate everyone stereotype"). They did the whole glitch thing to reassure them, and when they freaked out, they kept it up to fuck with them.
Reminded me of the crew from ALIEN.

If you actually think about the ramifications of their actions, and the scene's existence within the film, it was totally stupid. But i felt it was forced into it, because half-way through the movie, Ridley REMEMBERED WHY HIS FANS FUCKING CAME TO THE MOVIE, so, he tossed it in.
It WAS stupid. But the Captain and his boys were the only part I liked, because they reminded me of ALIEN. So, I let it go
There was just far too much "stupidity keeps the script from falling apart" for me to really enjoy this film.

The story was heavy-handed, overly forced, and completely formulaic and predictable.

I can at least say, this isn't Ridley Scott's worst film. That honor still belongs to "Robin Hood".

ALSO, they encounter ONE engineer, and he's 10ft tall, has super-strength enough to rip through their super advanced android like he's made of tissue paper, and they decide that they clearly want to kill them all... AND our heroine's conclusion is to go to their homeworld?!
I thought this chick was a SCIENTIST!?! i.e. someone who thinks rationally?

I didn't even find it visually stimulating. And usually that's one thing I look for first.
I felt the visual aesthetic of the film to be horribly generic, and the cinematography to be bland, boring and uninspired.

Also this "not prequel" that's meant to merely expand the universe of the ALIEN films, doesn't even do that. It presents information, that basically all the fandom KNEW already.
Wait, what? The Space Jockeys made bio-weapons?! WE came up with that decades ago!

Spikes

radiator

QuoteThis thread has reached its natural conclusion.

Everything that didn't make sense in this thread will be explained in the sequel.

Spaceghost

Quote from: radiator on 05 October, 2012, 11:38:25 AM
QuoteThis thread has reached its natural conclusion.

Everything that didn't make sense in this thread will be explained in the sequel.

...or will it?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAARN!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Tiplodocus

It will.

I've seen the trailer for the sequel to this thread and it basically gives away the whole plot.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

-wipes away tears of laughter- You know, after all the joy this thread has given me over the months, I'm going to have to watch the damn movie at some point.  It's only fair.

orinAGN

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 October, 2012, 08:12:29 AM
tl;dr

"tl;dr" ???

Sorry. I don't as of yet understand a lot of internet lingo.
What does this mean?

Charlie boy

Not too long ago- in this very thread- I mentioned my dislike for film critic David Edwards. Wouldn't you just know that today he gave his DVD OF THE WEEK acclaim to Prometheus? He gives it three stars out of a possible five, as he does ROCK OF AGES and ILL MANORS. Interesting to see the quality of work Ridley Scott is compared to these days.

TordelBack

Quote from: orinAGN on 05 October, 2012, 02:18:09 PM
Sorry. I don't as of yet understand a lot of internet lingo.
What does this mean?

Another useful bit of internet lingo is 'Google'.  Just a little pro tip there, no charge for the first one.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=tl%3B+dr&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-gbIE494IE494&aq=f&oq=tl%3B+dr&sugexp=chrome,mod=5&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

orinAGN

I'm so sorry to have bothered you so much that you had to come down off your cloud and descend to talk to the folks below you.
"Just a little pro tip there, no charge for the first one."

Wow.  Really conceited aren't you?
I've seen TLDR.  But "TLDR" is how I've always seen it.  I figured "tl;dr" was something else. 
Either some other expression entirely or some internet colloquialism found only in British slang.

I didn't bother using Google, because I wanted to engage the individual who posted the comment in the first place.

I'm so so terribly sorry that my actions offended you so greatly.

God, what a chump.

TordelBack

Quote from: orinAGN on 05 October, 2012, 04:07:16 PM
I'm so so terribly sorry that my actions offended you so greatly.

Apology accepted, but not required: I was just amusing myself with some drive-by trolling, although please note that I did go to the bother of answering your question. That semi-colon is a doozy alright.

I await my ban with interest.

orinAGN

QuoteI was just amusing myself with some drive-by trolling

Yep. That about sums it up.
Moving on.

w3bz