Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Can someone with a better memory than mine recall if

71; Durham Red the Scarlet Cantos

is in fact, ALL of the Dan Abnett & Mark Harrison take on the future Durham?

That's a volume I've been waiting for since this project started.

The Monarch

Jade Falcon

Any chance we might get Stainless Steel Rat in the extension or is there too much of an issue with rights.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Bolt-01

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 December, 2019, 02:26:18 PM
Any chance we might get Stainless Steel Rat in the extension or is there too much of an issue with rights.

So far we've not had anything in the Mega or Ultimate Collections where there were external rights which would need negotiating, I suspect the odds for this or say Dan Dare appearing in the extension are slim at best.

Cynically; why would they spend the extra on negotiating additional licensing for this stuff when there's plenty of other material they could reprint instead without that hassle?

levers

Quote from: rogue69 on 29 December, 2019, 01:00:42 PM
Just looking on the Forbidden Planet website they have listed all the volumes upto 80
They are;
61; Slaine- book of invasion Vol1
62; Nikoli Dante vol 6
63; ADC Warriors Volgan Wars vol 2
64; Caballisics Inc vol 1
65; Strontium Dog Life & death of Johnny Alpha
66; Slaine Book of Invasion vol 2
67; Rogue Trooper vol 5
68; Ampney Crucis investigates
69; Nikoli Dante vol 7
70; Slaine book of Scars
71; Durham Red the Scarlet Cantos
72; All-Star Future Shocks
73; Slaine the Brutania Chronicles vol 1
74; Nikoli Dante vol 8
75; Savage
76; Sinister Dexter vol 3
77; Nikoli Dante vol 9
78; The Grevious Journey of Ichabod Azrael
79; Slaine the Brutania Chronicles vol 2
80; Cabalistics Inc vol 2

Thanks. Reminded me to place an order for Dante vol 6!

Jade Falcon

I noticed that the reproduction of Invasion in some stories did seem a bit dark. One thing, I have the original Rebellion trade and it has the annual story with the raid on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, this is missing in the hardback.

Not sure on what's left on the original run. Not as many Slaine left as I dreaded but some of the other stuff is totally unknown.

Any ideas on the extension. Shako has been mentioned as a possible but it's a very slim book.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 01 January, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
I noticed that the reproduction of Invasion in some stories did seem a bit dark. One thing, I have the original Rebellion trade and it has the annual story with the raid on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, this is missing in the hardback.

How does the reproduction compare between the two?

Not sure on what's left on the original run. Not as many Slaine left as I dreaded but some of the other stuff is totally unknown.

I'm actually really excited for this last stretch there's a lot of really good titles on that list. Lots of Dante and I'm really looking forwards to Caballistics as the theme sounds right up my street.

Any ideas on the extension. Shako has been mentioned as a possible but it's a very slim book.

I'd love to see Shako but it'd need to be accompanied by either another long strip or several shorter strips. Given what we've seen in the past the volume would need some kind of loose theme, creature feature would seem the obvious way to make this work. Not sure what the other strip(s) woud be.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that we'll see the continuation of any series which aren't complete in the initial run (so 1-2 books of ABCs covering the Return arcs, 1 book of Stront, Dominion, Fall of Deadworld, Absalom, 1 more book of Savage seems likely not sure if we'll get the rest but it would seem to be a good contender).

I'd be surprised if we don't see 1-2 more Sinister Dexter books. Not knowing the material and given we're getting a curated collection it's hard to predict what we'll see and how many volumes it will require. It'll be interesting to see where volume 3 leaves us as that might offer some clues.

Then there're things we've had some of but which would require another series to be published in the prog in order to hit the page counts (Kingdom, Stickleback). Of course these could also be done using a different filler story to bump the page count if no further episodes appear in the interim. I think these are quite likely.

After that it's all guess work really. I'd be very surprised if we don't see at least 1 more strip from the comics early days probably 2 (VCs, Flesh, Fiends would be my top guesses as the page counts fit the format well). Something else in the Rogue Trooper universe feels quite likely (I'm hoping for a Jaegir volume), as does at least 1 more Dredd volume maybe more (although containing what is anyones guess). After that it's pure guess work; if I had to pick one thing I think it'd have to be Brink.

Given what we've seen so far I'm not expecting to see anything that would require external licensing.

IndigoPrime

If we don't see Firekind/Leatherjack, I might just cry.

Tomwe

Jaegir is in the new IDW book showing Tharg's confidence in the strip. I think it's a likely contender, as is Brink for the same reason, although as I have all that strip in the prog I'd prefer something else. Early Grey Area?

Jade Falcon

Jaegir is a rather thin book, but maybe a Jaegir/86ers volume.

The entire Flesh that's in trade just now is a fair size, more than one book but not enough for two.

As to Invasion, some stories seemed very heavy on the black but this seemed more of a thing in the stories from Prince John appearing onwards.

The Monarch

I just want some john smith is that too much to ask

sintec

I didn't total things up as I was speculating last night.  Doing so this morning I realised that the list of "things that follow on from things in the initial run" would make for ~20 of our 30 books (assuming 3 books of Savage and 2 each for Dredd, ABCs, Sin Dex and Brink). That only leaves 10 other books and there are so many great titles I'd like to see included! Is it weird I'm already hoping for an extension to the extension?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 02 January, 2020, 08:46:36 AM
I didn't total things up as I was speculating last night.  Doing so this morning I realised that the list of "things that follow on from things in the initial run" would make for ~20 of our 30 books (assuming 3 books of Savage and 2 each for Dredd, ABCs, SinDex and Brink).

How d'you work that out? I make 'things that follow on from things in the initial run' approximately 10 books -

1 – Absalom (Sick Leave – Terminal Diagnosis)
1 – Kingdom (As It Is In Heaven, Alpha & Omega)
1 - Strontium Dog (Stix Fix – The Son)
2 - ABC Warriors (Return to Earth, Return To Mars; Return to Ro-Busters, Fallout)
2 – Savage (The Guv'nor – Crims(4-6); Secret City – Grinders(7-9))
2 - Sinister Dexter
1 – Dark Judges (Dominion, Fall of Deadworld III, IV)
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 January, 2020, 09:17:37 AM

How d'you work that out? I make 'things that follow on from things in the initial run' approximately 10 books -

1 – Absalom (Sick Leave – Terminal Diagnosis)
1 – Kingdom (As It Is In Heaven, Alpha & Omega)
1 - Strontium Dog (Stix Fix – The Son)
2 - ABC Warriors (Return to Earth, Return To Mars; Return to Ro-Busters, Fallout)
2 – Savage (The Guv'nor – Crims(4-6); Secret City – Grinders(7-9))
2 - Sinister Dexter
1 – Dark Judges (Dominion, Fall of Deadworld III, IV)

I had Savage down as 3 and I was counting 2 books for the Dark Judges material as I seem to recall the strip count looked too high for one (don't have my spreadsheet here at work so can't double check that).

I was also counting 2 books for Dredd and including 1 volume for post-Rogue material (i.e. Jaegir) as things that follow on.  Which is 5 more on top of your ten.

Then I compiled the rest of my guess work on top to get to 20:
2 Brink
2 Volumes of early material

But then I didn't reread what I'd written before hitting the post button so hadn't noticed I'd written "things that follow on from things in the initial run" which by that stage was disnegenuous. It should have said:
  15 books of "things that follow on from things in the initial run"
+ 2 "volumes of early material"
+ 2 "vols of Brink because I think it's a farily safe bet"
= 19

Not sure how I got 20 earlier (maybe I was counting 2 books for VCs?) I blame an early morning caffine deficit for the whole debacle.