Main Menu

Alien: Isolation

Started by von Boom, 25 April, 2014, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Played this for almost two hours today and was thought it was good I expected it to be with a few exceptions.

Your the daughter of Ellen Ripley who embarks on mission related to her mother's misadventures fifteen years earlier.

Soon, after you are awakened from cryogenic - sleep and need to do stuff.

Being a attractive woman in this game, I was slightly disappointed that I didn't find a mirror before finding my clothing or maybe that's hidden Easter Egg and you will notice one in the cryogenic chamber room. In fact the whole place is really. [spoiler]I couldn't find any real world equivalent to Frank Herman's -War in Totality. I was hoping to actually. [/spoiler]

You can't  run too fast and jump at all. I guess, they wanted this to be less about action and more about a sedated exploration of your surroundings while you find out what's what and what is going on.

Although, I could walk into some objects causing them to scatter. Not every loose object will do this, including the sheets of paper. I cannot pick stuff up, unless their bits of scrap (Glowing Orange) and then I can add those to my inventory which doesn't open for me until I gained access to the room where the means to construct them into the first of many things presented it self the way to construct something from the bits and pieces.

As it was...I couldn't throw punches and kick things aside from some thing I found (And accidently wasted...) that may prove useful in face of any unknown terrors lurking around the corners.

Aside from those small things the game proves to be the visual treat to fans of the cult film. Resplendent in all it's retrograde future tech and design. The attention to detail here is astounding, right down to the individual scratches and tiny patches of missing paint or what ever they use for artificial surfacing. Stuff lying around and as I said that's only for looking at and rubbing up against, but not picking up and moving, using or putting into your inventory. I guess, that's about game balance.

As I now have a problem paying attention to what is being said and quite often zoning out. I didn't follow it that the protagonists were going to some other deep space facility and not the Nostromo. Which later sussed out had been destroyed roughly fifteen years earlier.

Maybe that's what they were looking for or it's got something to do with sudden appearance or evidence of the survival Ellen Ripley. I don't know actually, because it just went in one ear and out the other.

If your getting this.... enjoy the game.

Oh, BTW it visual treat that reminds me of Dear Esther aside from a lack of randomness which I think won't be a part of this game.

Richmond Clements

QuoteBeing a attractive woman in this game, I was slightly disappointed that I didn't find a mirror before finding my clothing or maybe that's hidden Easter Egg and you will notice one in the cryogenic chamber room.

I stopped reading it this disgraceful point...

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 October, 2014, 12:36:49 PM
QuoteBeing a attractive woman in this game, I was slightly disappointed that I didn't find a mirror before finding my clothing or maybe that's hidden Easter Egg and you will notice one in the cryogenic chamber room.

I stopped reading it this disgraceful point...

Me too...  :-\

ThryllSeekyr

Why would it be wrong to mention looking at scantily clad women...surely that's not a bad thing or have you all gone to hell  :-\

I could go into it why I talk about things the way I do, but that would be going off subject.

Except for the fact that I have been single dude for most of my life.

Besides, that one line in my review is about as raunchy as it gets. The rest of it is as safe as it's beginning.

GordonR

ThryllSeekyr

Have any of you actually read the book, let alone seen the film or vice-versa?

It's pretty creepy you know, especially how the creatures reproduce.

May be you shouldn't go near this game if you thought my post on wanting to see the female protagonist scantily clad or even possibly naked and this does happen in all games I bet you have played and enjoyed.

I will stop before I am force to make even more sense and the mods lock it down :-X

Yet, I will say one more thing about those ambulatory-peepee's and their gestating progeny........please leave by the exits already provided at the top (Mind the teeth :D) and the bottom (With Great Care:o) and not out through the chest.   

Spaceghost

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 07 October, 2014, 12:58:56 PM

This may be related to your extremely dodgy attitude towards women.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

GordonR

Quote from: Spaceghost on 07 October, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

To be fair, this is an least a step up from his strange tingly feelings for an underage girl character in Game of Thrones.

Goaty

Quote from: GordonR on 07 October, 2014, 03:38:22 PM
To be fair, this is an least a step up from his strange tingly feelings for an underage girl character in Game of Thrones.

What??  :-\

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Spaceghost on 07 October, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

Don't judge me based on the little bit of information you gather here about my so called attitude towards women. I had to put with dodgy attitude from other people who move around in the same circles with me in the past and a few of them have been women.

Did you know that there was this women who was working behind the counter at the canteen inside this swimming pool complex down south of the border. She was kind of hot looking, swarthy complexion with long dark hair. Looked similar to Selma Blair without actually being her. Yet, she had a overly snobbish attitude and this really came to the fore when I tried to order something that had been written on the chalk board behind her. She just rudely informed me that they don't have that ( Chicken Schnitzel Roll and this happened every time I asked for that dish and her tone of voice indicated I just asked her for personal sexual favours involving dogs, horses, snakes. I swear, despite her obvious hotness, I never even attempted to flirt with her. What's even stranger is that she paid me two dollars not to touch her car as she stopped at the light where I worked on the intersection wiping down wind screens down the road from where she worked. I couldn't really see us getting together in particular way, shape or form. I just wanted my German styled chicken roll with tomato and lettuce. Besides that years were very rough on me as I had been out of work and had to sell my Ford Falcon Utility and was without shelter.

That wasn't the only time, I had problems, with female relatives, girlfriend of close mates while sharing a house with them and I have just been plain unlucky with women my whole life and Have plans to fix this as I don't want to leave this life a lonely old man.

Although, I did once make out with this girl at local night club roughly twenty years ago. Aside from a some heavy petting and groping with some lip sucking, tongue wrestling. I didn't any anything untoward towards her (She wasn't underage either being a year older than I was!) while feeling pressed into hopping into a taxi with her to go back to her place and just talk for bit before calling me another taxi to take me home. Sure my flesh was willing, but I was trying to be more of gentleman and didn't force myself on her or even ask for it. For some reason she was stand offish next time I met tried to meet up with her a fortnight later after I had got this rather embarrassing haircut. She didn't an to see me again and said that what ever happened between us was nothing to any more friendly about. She was a looker too. Well stacked and like a younger Bette Midler[/b] I'm regretting not doing the deed with her that night I went back to her place to her place and this has been plaguing my mind for years.

Aside from one other close encounter with another girl on a nude beach and the many times I had what ever pass's for physical relations with a various masseuse's, lap dancers, strippers and hookers, but not within the last eleven years.

Women for the most part just ignore me unless I do something drastic.

I still consider myself to be the near virgin at my forty two years of age.

My real problem is that I'm not the most girl's ideal guy and at that I don't talk to them much based on the fact that I can't find a lot of common ground between them and me and I was always shy.

Despite my violent leanings, I haven't been that known to handle females of any type violently. Despite those dodgy ideas I printed up on the forum about phycotic females wielding weapons and needing to be dealt with lethal force.  Although that was one time I had to take dangerous measures while being forcefully removed from a Brothel by the almost the entire female staff and this one who looked and felt like she used steroids. Nobody was seriously hurt, except for my pride and my wallet which was empty at the time. The reason for my removal. The sex workers always demand money up front and while I understand that companionship always money or a night out or marriage. I would prefer something less sleazy and now will solemly refuse to visit any of those establishments now and in the future in favour of something more old fashioned.   

Yet the flesh isn't so willing these days and no I find girls even harder to relate to.

I'm working on a better way of dealing with the fairer sex as long as they stay that way  :P 

Richmond Clements

Frank

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 07 October, 2014, 05:55:21 PM
she paid me two dollars not to touch her car as she stopped at the light where I worked on the intersection wiping down wind screens down the road from where she worked. I couldn't really see us getting together in particular way, shape or form. I just wanted my German styled chicken roll with tomato and lettuce.

Why didn't I read this thread before? If Dan Abnett's written this, is Ripley's kid called Beverley Vitornott?

ThryllSeekyr

Apologies for going right off subject, but this was over some comment about the leading female character in this game we should be talking about this....

On the Torrens

I really love the retro-rib shaped upholstery on the some of the walls. Kind like having vinyl cushions on the walls and they are a more caramel colour in

They are white in the cryogenic-chamber room and caramel coloured around the dining area. If memory serves.

I did make error in my commentary on the game video I'm trying to upload right now. After looking through a log at a computer terminal with list of the Nostromo's crew.

Thinking that Yaphet Kotto's character was Harry Dean Stantons' and that the latter was the Chief Engineer while former was his offsider. Although it seemed Yaphet's character had a more dominant personality than Harry despite how badly I read who I thought they were and what their position on the Space-Tug-Ship actually was. I got it wrong and it turns out that Parker's (Yaphet) dominance was asserted by his position over Brett (Harry) and I thought after some abrupt transition where Amanda Ripley finds herself alone on the other ship/facility/terminal. Thinking that it was the Nostromo that that had self destructed fifteen years earlier. I admitted my mistake towards the end of the video I'm uploading now.

Funny thing about Harry Dean Stanton's characterisation of Brett was this web comic called Alien : Age Eleven. The author/illustrator (Who said he works as professional in this area on a casual basis!) John White who admitted he was never allowed to see the film at the time he started the unofficial comic book. At the age of 11 and had used information gathered as well as photos from the official novelisation and the famous H.R. Giger - Xenomorph art-book. He admitted that he got the Synthetic character Ash (The original Bilbo Baggins - Ian Holm and Brett confused and when I asked about this. He joked that he then named the character Brash. You can read about this error on his website. (I linked this above.) It's totally cool.

He did a Star Wars VI: A New Hope web comic called Star Wars : Age Seven written and illustrated  by himself at the age indicated in the title.

Although, both works were not quite finished at the time and he filled in the gaps most recently and I could see he's very talented and worthy of working for ToothAD.

Cpt Rhodes

The first friendly face on Sevastopol and it's Irvine Welsh. Who would've expected that! :)

Goaty