Main Menu

2019 Sci-Fi Special: A Tribute to Carlos Ezquerra

Started by Leigh S, 15 June, 2019, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Spector is insanely good. So much fun to see Wagner writing a robot protagonist and largely being on his (its?) side. No one does comedy 'robots pretending to sound human' dialogue quite like J. Wagner, although usually he's doing it to show how annoying they are.

I'd love to know what the man really thinks about the increasing presence of AI in real life. Does he fear it, welcome it, or just enjoy it as a source of comedic inspiration for his stories?

I'm also curious to know if he still hasn't watched RoboCop. Spector is to Robocop as Robocop is to Judge Dredd - discuss.

As for artists, I wonder if Tharg might consider PJ Holden - he's got great form at filling up panels with near-future fun, and he's got the requisite comedy chops, in my opinion. Not saying MacNeil and Coleby couldn't do a cracking job, but I do associate them both more with moody/atmospheric stories, and less with comedy procedurals. Or coming more out of left-field, how about Fay Dalton? Wasn't that long ago folk were bemoaning a lack of thrills that would match her style, and just maybe Spector is it..?

Magnetica

Spector seems to be part Lt Cmd Data to me, especially with regard to the journey to understand human emotions.

Leigh S

Fay Dalton is an inspired suggestion, though would be very different to Carlos in style if not substance (or should that be the other way round?).  PJ is another good shout

Quote from: AlexF on 18 June, 2019, 11:15:39 AM
Spector is insanely good. So much fun to see Wagner writing a robot protagonist and largely being on his (its?) side. No one does comedy 'robots pretending to sound human' dialogue quite like J. Wagner, although usually he's doing it to show how annoying they are.

I'd love to know what the man really thinks about the increasing presence of AI in real life. Does he fear it, welcome it, or just enjoy it as a source of comedic inspiration for his stories?

I'm also curious to know if he still hasn't watched RoboCop. Spector is to Robocop as Robocop is to Judge Dredd - discuss.

As for artists, I wonder if Tharg might consider PJ Holden - he's got great form at filling up panels with near-future fun, and he's got the requisite comedy chops, in my opinion. Not saying MacNeil and Coleby couldn't do a cracking job, but I do associate them both more with moody/atmospheric stories, and less with comedy procedurals. Or coming more out of left-field, how about Fay Dalton? Wasn't that long ago folk were bemoaning a lack of thrills that would match her style, and just maybe Spector is it..?

Eamonn Clarke

If Jim Campbell is here I wonder could you tell us a bit more about using the Tom Frame style of lettering on Spector? I'm no expert and I'm curious what changes you had to make to pay tribute to his "hand".

Genuine query.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 18 June, 2019, 07:38:32 PM
If Jim Campbell is here I wonder could you tell us a bit more about using the Tom Frame style of lettering on Spector? I'm no expert and I'm curious what changes you had to make to pay tribute to his "hand".

Genuine query.

Yeah this would be really cool to hear about. Its such a subtle art, I'm always intrigued by the inner workings of lettering.

Jim_Campbell

Thanks, chaps. I'll stick up a post in its own thread (or there may be an ancient lettering thread I can revive) when I have a couple of minutes, rather than waffle on in this thread.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 June, 2019, 09:44:32 PM
Thanks, chaps. I'll stick up a post in its own thread (or there may be an ancient lettering thread I can revive) when I have a couple of minutes, rather than waffle on in this thread.

Haven't had a proper look at the Sci-Fi Special yet, but I'd be interested to read this too (e.g. did you use something of your own developed for this particular strip, or did you work with something like Marian Churchland - which has a little flavour of Frame, I think - etc.)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Not read mine yet, but I have a question for anyone buying this off the shelf.
Anyone else find this stocked very sparsely today? My town's WHS, which routine gets 10+ copies of the prog and meg, and usually stocks around the same number of the specials, only received 2 copies today. I bought them both- one for me, one for the boy, leaving none on the shelf on day of release before 1030am.
The other WHS, at the railway station, had none, despite also having stocked last year's and regularly having both prog and meg on its shelves.
Anyone else notice similar?
SBT

Timothy

Quote from: Buttonman on 16 June, 2019, 10:48:21 PM
Got mine and it's great.

The deceased creator at his desk surrounded by his creations is becoming a bit of a cliche but Robinson and Teague pulled it off for Carlos in great style.

Tharg's £20 for all the specials, post paid, has been a great offer - no doubt I'd have otherwise missed one throughout the year - instead it's regular surprise time!

Hopefully this offer will be repeated each year.

I can't seem to find the creator at his desk pic in the digital version. Is that print only?

Tjm86

This year's special is a superb read.  There is nary a duffer in the whole thing.  A truly fitting homage to such an august figure.  All things considered we've been truly spoilt with such a lengthy career.  Whilst there are certainly a fair number of talented individuals coming up through the ranks, what we have lost can never fully be replaced.  Nor perhaps should it be.  Certainly I will continue to cherish the page of SSR artwork that he sold me a few years back.

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 19 June, 2019, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 16 June, 2019, 10:48:21 PM
Got mine and it's great.

The deceased creator at his desk surrounded by his creations is becoming a bit of a cliche but Robinson and Teague pulled it off for Carlos in great style.

Tharg's £20 for all the specials, post paid, has been a great offer - no doubt I'd have otherwise missed one throughout the year - instead it's regular surprise time!

Hopefully this offer will be repeated each year.

I can't seem to find the creator at his desk pic in the digital version. Is that print only?

No it its not, I bought the digital version
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Spector is brilliant stuff, story and art. I'd love to see it continued.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 June, 2019, 01:20:11 PM
Not read mine yet, but I have a question for anyone buying this off the shelf.
Anyone else find this stocked very sparsely today? My town's WHS, which routine gets 10+ copies of the prog and meg, and usually stocks around the same number of the specials, only received 2 copies today. I bought them both- one for me, one for the boy, leaving none on the shelf on day of release before 1030am.
The other WHS, at the railway station, had none, despite also having stocked last year's and regularly having both prog and meg on its shelves.
Anyone else notice similar?
SBT

I bought mine from a WHS I don't usually go to, just happened to be in the vicinity. They had three copies, what looked like similar number of Megs, and no Progs yesterday morning at around 9.30.

broodblik

The special is very enjoyable. Great to see Ezquerra's last art  :'(.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me