Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Yeah that's another one that really irritates me. I voted for Labour at the GE but honestly, Ed Milliband? Honestly.

(how stupid is the British system though where in practice our participation in democracy is a vote for an MP who may or may not  be part of a party that then needs to make a significant majority - more than say 3.8% - in a parliamentary system for any of it to make any jot of difference... *BUT* we spend all of our time arguing over party-level politics and leaderships and make every vote of even minor consequence part of the whip)

Michael Knight

Prodigal2 This is my point. Like you I have studied it at degree and Masters level and it's just the lies being fed by certain leaders particularly in the UK and Ireland that its merely an Economic Union that I loathe. When the EU has a naval attachment operating under its flag combating pirates off the horn off Africa, it ceases to be merely an economic union by any stretch of the imagination.
Why the need for deception and lies thats all? 

Professor Bear

I don't imagine it's anything sinister, they're probably just taking precautions in case they need to impose martial law somewhere.

TordelBack

Quote from: Michael Knight on 02 September, 2016, 03:36:48 PM
Prodigal2 This is my point. Like you I have studied it at degree and Masters level and it's just the lies being fed by certain leaders particularly in the UK and Ireland that its merely an Economic Union that I loathe. When the EU has a naval attachment operating under its flag combating pirates off the horn off Africa, it ceases to be merely an economic union by any stretch of the imagination.
Why the need for deception and lies thats all?

I'm lost. Who exactly says the EU is ' just an economic union'?  Who would make such a claim? I'm not sure I've heard that asserted since it was the EEC, possibly even before. How come we vote for members of the European Parliament to represent us? How come we ratify policy and legislation that impacts our Constitution domestically in referendums? How come we feel the benefits of enlightened social, environmental and equality legislation?  What does any of that have to do with an 'economic union'? 

Quite obviously to anyone the EU acts at a political and legislative level, the only question being to what level, or whether you approve.  I can't help feeling you're creating a strawman when you describe these 'leaders' and their deceptions. 

TordelBack

Incidentally, I believe I just heard Theresa Villiers MP on Any Questions asserting that Brexit will permit the UK to get rid of some of that pesky planning legislation that impedes all those wealthy lobbies from pursuing their unfettered dreams.. Hooray for fracking!

Michael Knight

Check Blair and Cameron denying its not becoming a single political state mate. Not hard to find.

Michael Knight

ps. My issue is why the need to lie about their endgame. A political Union where member states are mere provinces pooling together. The architects of the project wanted this from day one.

It hilarious hearing some political commentators claiming the EU 'Apple tax saga' is a almost a moral issue on behalf of the EU.

The only reason they highlighting this is because they do not want nations like Ireland setting their own tax rates to attract business and jobs. The EU seeks tax harmonisation in 2 years time and its a warning they wont tolerate this.

The same organisation that cruelly sacked senior accountant and actually tried to debase her character for exposing how their accounts haven't been signed off in years.

The EU is meant to be a collective where all are equal but it simply doesn't work like that in practice.

No system is perfect Westminster and the Dail for example both are bureaucratic beyond measure.

All i'm saying is the EU does seem to be writing its own suicide note. I travel a lot in my work and I listen to a lot of people expressing outright hostility to the direction the EU is travelling in. It just worries me that extreme groups are tapping into this discontent.     

Said before I fear for Europe I really do. The EU/NATO stoking tensions with Russia Sabre rattling. The Soviet Union collapses, We welcome Russia in from the fold and then spend years pointing missiles in their direction. The Wests hypocrisy sickens me.   

Michael Knight

:'(

TordelBack

Quote from: Michael Knight on 03 September, 2016, 02:07:57 AM
Check Blair and Cameron denying its not becoming a single political state mate. Not hard to find.

Quite a gap between claiming it's just an economic union and denying it's becoming a single political state. A gap in which the truth fits rather neatly.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 September, 2016, 05:38:29 AM
Quote from: Michael Knight on 03 September, 2016, 02:07:57 AM

Quite a gap between claiming it's just an economic union and denying it's becoming a single political state. A gap in which the truth fits rather neatly.

The history of the EU is full of often discordant voices and perhaps obfuscation as to what the end game is. However, it's not anywhere near full federalism as yet.

I find it a very interesting entity in terms of governance tbh but then people say I should get out a lot more.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Michael Knight on 03 September, 2016, 02:24:49 AM. The architects of the project wanted this from day one. 

Any chance of a citation for this claim? A fairly solid and credible one if possible?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

I would imagine the Reptilians have removed it from the internet by now.

Modern Panther

QuoteThe only reason they highlighting this is because they do not want nations like Ireland setting their own tax rates to attract business and jobs.

So the EU, which includes the RoI, is deliberately trying to tank the Irish economy by increasing the amount of funds that are in that economy and can be spent on improving the lives of the people there, in order to push companies out of EU countries, thereby making the EU richer and and more powerful?

dweezil2

Keith Vaz moral crusader!

Ha, ha, ha!

What a drokking hypocrite!   
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: dweezil2 on 06 September, 2016, 10:40:26 AM
Keith Vaz moral crusader!
Ha, ha, ha!
What a drokking hypocrite!

I've often wondered why so many rich and powerful men seem to have double standards when it comers to their own behavior. Perhaps and this is only my opinion those attracted to power are a personality type, highly driven individuals with vast energy and sometimes an over optimistic belief about their own ability to control events and themselves. An office fling, meeting with prostitutes, seeking out more extreme stimulus, drugs etc all seem to recurre again throughout the years and I'm afraid Keith Vaz appears to be only the latest casualty in a long line of politicians who have succumbed to their own over indulgence. Our leaders-what a bunch.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla