Main Menu

Help Me With Steam.....Please.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 15 May, 2014, 05:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Today and yesterday......I have been confounded by a lot of things not working the way they should be on my computer. I think it may be the internet, the latency, the delay which is being god awfully slow for some strange reason.......

The only game I can get to work properly is the Alpha for Elite: Dangerous. Which I suppose isn't so bad because it was the one I payed two months worth of my spared savings for....but even then it often disconnects me while I'm trying to play.

But I my computer keeps giving me a pop up telling me that my hard disk is damaged and needs repairing. I go through this process where it shuts down and restarts my computer as it backs up all my files and then when my computer resumes. I'm back to square one.

ESO is slowly downloading a patch before I can play it again. It's been doing this for the last three days.

Steam keeps telling me it's updating files as it's verifying the installation and will do this for what seems to be a indefinite amount of time.

Then I decide Steam might be missing a vital file and need to reinstalled. I click on the installer and it won't reinstall until I can remove the Steam first.

Otherwise, I can't uninstall it. I t can't be found when ever I try using the uninstaller.

So, I try to remove the STEAM folder, and while it appears to start being removed the deletion bin. Nothing happens at all and sometimes while this is in process, it just stops and nothing of the files can be found in the bin.

So, I tried GOOGLEing for help with deleting my undeletable STEAM folder....

They hint that I should delete each STEAM folder within the main one separately.

What a fucking pain.......this entire fucking thing has been one big fucking PAIN.......

Right now, I trying delete the Bin folder.

Now, a error message keeps interrupting the process.

Error 0x8007045D.

So, I Google this and it tells this problem can only be fixed with Smart PC Fixer

Now I really hate using unknown and untested, and software I possibly should trust at all, but I seem to have now where else to turn to.

I've done this now, it it's found a lot of errors and things that needs replacing. but it wants me to pay before it will fix this.

I don't want to pay for this......it's garbage. I just want the problem fixed NOW and for free.

Without much more hassle......I'm rich, I'm not made of fucking money and don't deserve this much trouble.

Banners

ThryllSeekyr

Banners

If you think the HDD is fine, and assuming you're on Windows, can you create a new user profile and do a fresh install of Steam there?

ThryllSeekyr

Damn, I meant to say I'm not rich........

As I couldn't move the Steam folder, I tried renaming it.

So, it could no longer be recognised and get in the way of me reinstalling it .

Which I did.

But not before it kept telling me it wouldn't let me because I had one of the inside files open somewhere and I couldn't locate this file.

So, I was forced to restart the computer just to close it......

God....all bloody mighty....

Well... at least, I now have STEAM working and I've been reinstalling some of it's games....

I still have the useless Steam folder that refuses to be moved and ESO is still patching.

Guild Wars Two is still playing up when it works at all.

As for my HDD....I'm not really sure.

I'm not really happy to now know it may need replacing. As the computer and it's parts are meant to be brand new and it was just fixed.

ThryllSeekyr

Damn, I meant to say I'm not rich........

As I couldn't move the Steam folder, I tried renaming it.

So, it could no longer be recognised and get in the way of me reinstalling it .

Which I did.

But not before it kept telling me it wouldn't let me because I had one of the inside files open somewhere and I couldn't locate this file.

So, I was forced to restart the computer just to close it......

God....all bloody mighty....

Well... at least, I now have STEAM working and I've been reinstalling some of it's games....

I still have the useless Steam folder that refuses to be moved and ESO is still patching.

Guild Wars Two is still playing up when it works at all.

Yes, I use Windows eight and it's as hard as they say it is.

As for my HDD....I'm not really sure.

I'm not really happy to now know it may need replacing. As the computer and it's parts are meant to be brand new and it was just fixed.

judgerufian

you could just sell your PC and get a PS3, it will solve all your gaming needs!  ;)

jackstarr

Quoteyou could just sell your PC and get a PS3, it will solve all your gaming needs!  ;)

Oh, I don't know - my brother-in-law had 2 PS3s and a 360, all of which had hardware issues and eventually packed up - plus of course there's the fact that the same games are more expensive on console, and the lack of modding capabilities for certain games...

ThryllSeekyr, where did you install Steam to?  Best not to install to the default program files directory because of UAC.  I install Steam to the root of my C drive, then install the steam games either to the same directory or to a separate internal drive.

If you feel brave you might save yourself some headaches by trying to remove Steam again completely otherwise things could get a little messy...or you could risk continuing as you are if things seem fine.

ESO isn't Steam in the first place, so that shouldn't be affected either way - so if you're having issues with that as well, it could be a hardware issue.   How are the computer and parts both "brand new" and "just fixed"?   Was there an issue with your new hardware that needed to be fixed?

Theblazeuk

It does sound like a HD fail.

You can't manually delete the Steam folder? Ignoring the Uninstall function which doesn't seem to be working for you.

GrinningChimera

Did you try turning it off and then on again?

ThryllSeekyr

Did I tell you that I have already sent my brand new computer (Which I am still about 1000 or 2000 dollars from paying off.....) to be fixed twice. Because of problems that have arisen with the operating system.

I think....is it possible for somebody to remotely hack my software.

So it doesn't work properly or doesn't work at all.

I once described it as somebody playing Jenga]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenga ] Jenga with my operating system.

Which isn't hard to imagine...if you can believe that  somebody or something is removes essential files from my system right under my nose.

I just don't feel like taking my computer in to be fixed for a third time in a row.

Hard-Disk problems or not.

I still can't move or delete the original STEAM folder.

After changing it's name to FUCK-THIS-SHIT.   

Stupid bloody useless thing just won't budge.

I have also deleted and reinstalled STEAM and ELITE : DANGEROUS again.

I now have quite a lot STEAM games now being downloaded, installed and updating......

Yes, the updating or rather the preparation process that each game must go through before you can play them.

Seems to be taking much longer than usual as well.

It was one of the reasons, I deleted and reinstalled it now and it's till doing this.

That's why it took me a full week until I could play Dragon-Age after purchasing and download/install it.

It's been almost week since I done the same with DEUS-EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. You know, it's actually sometimes says on the timer thing that it's going to take me a few years before it will let me play it and then it will revert to something like a week or a few days. Right now, I have given up on that one and now the game FEZ is being prepared. It's going to take about 16 hours right now. That's still a long time. Now DEUS-EX: REVOLUTION cost me only $5.00 AUD.

So, am I being punished for not paying the full and intended original price on these games?

Theblazeuk

In what way could you possibly be being punished for getting the games on sale?

It will take so long to download? Or to install?

If you have your boot disc I would suggest a clean start with what is supposed to be a new computer. And if that doesn't work I suggest going to another computer shop because if the former doesn't work it seems like you are being taken for a ride.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 15 May, 2014, 11:32:39 AM

Yes, I use Windows eight and it's as hard as they say it is.

8.1 is slick

ThryllSeekyr

Games are still taking ages to launch......

Fez is about five hours or so away.....

Last night and nearly day today, I had problems reviewing the new games shown on STEAM's store page. It wouldn't allow me admittance until I logged out and in again.

I've also had the change my Google password. Which is a very lengthy process considering it's linked to my Gmail and You-Tube account. As I have had to change my passwords for each of these.

It's kind of awkward because I can't access the mail account when I need to change the password for my You-Tube account because they are both linked and I need to use that e-mail account to change the password. But. I can't get into my e-mail because it requires the same password that has been obviously hacked. Linking three of my accounts was never a good idea. I eventually got it fixed by changing the password for my email by using another one of my email address's. It's just horribly complicated process and I had to repat it several times this week.

My regular e-mail account was almost hacked and I think somebody stole the last of money -though small it was- from my Pay-Pal account.

Although, I could be imagining this.

This might have something to do with the new Watch-Dogs game....I'm pretty sure it's been out for a while, but I found this advertisement for it in one of  my emails saying it's only few days away.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 23 May, 2014, 09:57:32 AM
This might have something to do with the new Watch-Dogs game....I'm pretty sure it's been out for a while, but I found this advertisement for it in one of  my emails saying it's only few days away.

It has not been out at all - you only think it has because it was first revealed nearly two years ago and since then folk have been a' waitin. Has been a source of some contention I think.