Main Menu

Avengers - Infinity War

Started by Judgedreddrocks, 27 April, 2018, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I think that it is very significant [spoiler]who got left alive[/spoiler]

The fact it consisted of[spoiler] Iron Man, Thor and Cap[/spoiler] to me makes it likely that however the [spoiler]reversal[/spoiler] takes place, it will require some sort of [spoiler]exchange[/spoiler] of the [spoiler]lives of the old guard[/spoiler] to [spoiler]reinstate the new Avengers team of Spiderman, Black Panther, Iron Patriot, Winter Soldier etc.[/spoiler]

I agree with Eamonn that ultimately [spoiler]they make no material difference to Thanos' Plan[/spoiler] except that [spoiler]Spidey gets promoted, heroes meet[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Gamora[/spoiler] shows love for her [spoiler]sister which must be re-paid[/spoiler] in some dramatic sense

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 May, 2018, 09:19:52 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 May, 2018, 08:17:29 AM
..just two and a bit hours of fighting.

Soooo, just infinite war then...?   ;)

And maybe there's a leeeetle bit of drama in the bit[spoiler] where the arrogant over-king, convinced of his own destiny, bargains with the universe by sacrificing his beloved daughter to achieve his oh-so righteous aims[/spoiler]? Euripides seemed to think so.

Bah. Classics.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 May, 2018, 09:19:52 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 May, 2018, 08:17:29 AM
..just two and a bit hours of fighting.

Soooo, just infinite war then...?   ;)

And maybe there's a leeeetle bit of drama in the bit[spoiler] where the arrogant over-king, convinced of his own destiny, bargains with the universe by sacrificing his beloved daughter to achieve his oh-so righteous aims[/spoiler]? Euripides seemed to think so.

But what does his brother Ken Trousers think?
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

[spoiler]I think I must have missed a couple of things at the end. Firstly, how did Stark recover so quickly from being impaled and, second, how did Banner extricate himself from the rock face?[/spoiler]
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2018, 05:15:22 PM
[spoiler]I think I must have missed a couple of things at the end. Firstly, how did Stark recover so quickly from being impaled and, second, how did Banner extricate himself from the rock face?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]we see Stark applying some sort of gizmo to the wound, rather like the one that we see in Dredd. Can't recall the other[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Ah yes, I remember that bit now - thanks, DDD!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: matty_ae on 02 May, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

The fact it consisted of[spoiler] Iron Man, Thor and Cap[/spoiler] to me makes it likely that however the [spoiler]reversal[/spoiler] takes place, it will require some sort of [spoiler]exchange[/spoiler] of the [spoiler]lives of the old guard[/spoiler] to [spoiler]reinstate the new Avengers team of Spiderman, Black Panther, Iron Patriot, Winter Soldier etc.[/spoiler]

Wild (and some informed) speculation:
[spoiler]Dr Strange knows Tony Stark has to be alive for the endgame as he will need to wear the Infinity Gauntlet.
The Tony Steve civil war didn't get resolved in Infinity War, they didn't even meet up.
So they put their differences behind them in A4 and Tony gives his father's shield back to Cap, possibly leading to the broken shield moment from his Ultron vision.
This time with the help of Captain Marvel (and with the Hulk managing to super-man up) they manage to beat Thanos and get the gauntlet off him.
But for Iron Man to wield it he'll need to sacrifice a loved one to control the soul stone.
We know Chris Evans is done after A4 so Cap sacrifices himself rather than have Tony pick between Pepper, Rhodey, Happy, or even Tony himself?
Tearful Tony dons the gauntlet and does the finger pans and all the Ashes turn back into people, many of them with their own hugely successful franchises to support.
In the aftermath Tony makes or repairs a shield and hands it to Bucky Barnes, the new Captain America.
[/spoiler]

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2018, 05:15:22 PM

[spoiler]Banner in the rock face was due to the reality stone - Thanos sods off, reality restored (ref. the scene where Thanos 'chops up' Drax and Mantis, and the effect wears off when Thanos sods off)[/spoiler]
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

The Legendary Shark

Fair enough, thanks, Dave.

Colour me satisfied :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Woolly

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 02 May, 2018, 08:47:58 PM
Quote from: matty_ae on 02 May, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

Wild (and some informed) speculation:
[spoiler]Dr Strange knows Tony Stark has to be alive for the endgame as he will need to wear the Infinity Gauntlet.
The Tony Steve civil war didn't get resolved in Infinity War, they didn't even meet up.
So they put their differences behind them in A4 and Tony gives his father's shield back to Cap, possibly leading to the broken shield moment from his Ultron vision.
This time with the help of Captain Marvel (and with the Hulk managing to super-man up) they manage to beat Thanos and get the gauntlet off him.
But for Iron Man to wield it he'll need to sacrifice a loved one to control the soul stone.
We know Chris Evans is done after A4 so Cap sacrifices himself rather than have Tony pick between Pepper, Rhodey, Happy, or even Tony himself?
Tearful Tony dons the gauntlet and does the finger pans and all the Ashes turn back into people, many of them with their own hugely successful franchises to support.
In the aftermath Tony makes or repairs a shield and hands it to Bucky Barnes, the new Captain America.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm fairly certain there was a quick shot of the gauntlet looking fucked after Thanos clicked his fingers, but I may be wrong...[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 02 May, 2018, 09:28:09 PM
[spoiler]I'm fairly certain there was a quick shot of the gauntlet looking fucked after Thanos clicked his fingers, but I may be wrong...[/spoiler]

You're not wrong.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 May, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
But what does his brother Ken Trousers think?

The Old Ones are the best.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 02 May, 2018, 09:28:09 PM

[spoiler]You're not wrong at all - the gauntlet is borked. The condition of the stones? Not clear.

This is what my eldest pointed out to me when I was saying that the time stone will help them get out of this mess.

That's when she casually mentions the quantum realm, and AntMan & the Wasp heading there, and all that.[/spoiler]
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

TordelBack

Isn't this so much fun, though?  I'm having these conversations everywhere, with my kids, colleagues, friends, weirdies on the internet, all puzzling through the most inconsequential of comicky things ([spoiler]seriously, what we're talking about here is whether the Eye of Agamatto can be used to resurrect Black Panther![/spoiler]), the way I would only ever have done with 2 or 3 close mates back when I was a Marvel head (mid '80s).  This must be what it's like to a follow a popular soap/sports team!

IndigoPrime

I feel a bit like the grumpy old bastard now, having read this thread after seeing the film with Mrs IP this morning (while mini-IP was at pre-school). I thought it was fine, but it just didn't click for me. I didn't feel invested, and the entire thing feels set up for a big ol' reset switch in the direct sequel. After all, when you see [spoiler]a load of characters vanish into ash, several of which already have films on the slate[/spoiler], you know there's about the same level of permanence as in the comics.

Really, the only question for me is [spoiler]Gamora, and I hope she comes back, because this universe is still lacking in women. As my wife noted, it was about 20 minutes before we really saw one do anything. Still, she's already confirmed for the sequel, and the suggestion is that GOTG3 is in some way 'her' story[/spoiler].

Honestly, I thought the logic was better than in many superhero flicks, but the scripting wasn't. When you play a trick lilke "[spoiler]person has to off someone they love[/spoiler]" once, fine, but it doesn't have the impact multiple times. And the bit where [spoiler]Quill fucks everything up[/spoiler] seemed so contrived, and would have been much better dealt with in another way.

So I admire the scope of these films, but that's two in a row that haven't properly landed for me, after two that did (Homecoming; Ragnarok). Honestly, I've not been keen on phase 3 on the whole anyway (Civil War was OK; I found Strange boring; GOTG was weirdly flat; Black Panther was great for diversity but formulaic to the point I guessed every beat), and so I'm dropping my expectations accordingly (yet will probably still watch all of them – perhaps on rental now though, because 25 quid plus per film is getting a wee bit pricey).