Main Menu

Getting a new MP3 player

Started by Colin Zeal, 09 September, 2011, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

Due to my Ipod taking a spin through the washing machine after many years good service, I find myself needing to purchase myself a new one. Can anyone reccomend a good MP3 player around the £100 mark? Doesn't have to be an Ipod as I'm sure there are better makes out there.

Banners

Doesn't everyone just use their phone these days?

Colin Zeal

My phone is about as old as my Ipod was and unable to perform such a function.

radiator

QuoteDoesn't everyone just use their phone these days?

For me the whole point of owning an mp3 player is so I can carry my entire music collection (plus lots of podcasts, radio shows and audiobooks) with me. The 16GB on my iPhone won't get me far in that respect, so I'll be holding onto my (120GB) iPod for a while yet.

Banners

My entire collection's only 26GB, makes me feel quite inadequate(!)

Spaceghost

My Sony MP3 player of about 7 years packed in last week so I had to go on a hunt for a new one.

I ended up getting this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315566641&sr=8-1

It's only got an 8gb internal memory but it's also got an SD card slot so you can upgrade the memory to anything up to 40gb. The best thing is, it's been reduced from £120 to £35!

I've had it for a couple of days now and it is fantastic. Great sound quality, really small and light and easy to use. It's easy to put music on too, all you do is drag and drop the files into the player. None of this itunes/Sonic Stage bollocks!

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

gurnard

I bought a new one recently.  i have an iPod classic G5 30GB, it is too big (physical) for just playing music.  I have a telephone which is a telephone so was looking for a reasonably priced replacement being the ScanDisk Clip+ 8gig of musical fun but you can stick in a micro SDHC (same flash memory like you stick in phones) to expand it to 40 GB.  It is the size of a matchbox and for me has better sound quality than my iPod.  Also simple to use I bought one for my 75 year old Mum and she can see and hear it. :-)

Here:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clipplus-mp3-player

And if you are looking for something other than an iPod (overpriced in my opinion) this is worth checking out:
http://anythingbutipod.com/

James Stacey

Keep Cheese away from the headphone jack ... apparently

Albion

I have one of the Sansa Clip players too. I've had it for years and it's great. It's one of the older ones without an SD card slot.

I have a huge music collection but I find I listen to a wider variety of music on a small capacity player than a large one as I have to pick and choose albums as I put them on it. When I had a player that held most of my music I found that I would listen to the same albums more often.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Professor Bear

I've found the Creative Zen to be a reliable workhorse of an MP3 player, but the inclusion of a flash card slot on older models means you're better off getting one of those (typically one with 2-4gb of memory) for about 40-odd quid, then just buying a flash card with the memory size you actually want and bunging your music collection onto that.

And it's a personal thing, but I've found touchscreen mp3 players to be more trouble than they're worth.  I use mine when I'm traveling, though, so if that's not what you use yours for, perhaps having to drag it out of your pocket every time you want to navigate your music won't be an issue.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Lee Bates on 09 September, 2011, 12:20:12 PM
My Sony MP3 player of about 7 years packed in last week so I had to go on a hunt for a new one.

I ended up getting this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315566641&sr=8-1

It's only got an 8gb internal memory but it's also got an SD card slot so you can upgrade the memory to anything up to 40gb. The best thing is, it's been reduced from £120 to £35!

I've had it for a couple of days now and it is fantastic. Great sound quality, really small and light and easy to use. It's easy to put music on too, all you do is drag and drop the files into the player. None of this itunes/Sonic Stage bollocks!

Well recommended there. Just ordered one. I too hate proprietary stuff, it's evil. Just gimme something where I can bung my painstakingly ripped existing mp3s onto a folder structure and sod yer library gash.

Got a 16Gb card with it, more than enough I'd say. So 48 squids for a 24Gb mp3 player. Nice.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!