Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Watched Laputa Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke over last couple of days. First time for Laputa (loved it) but about 4th or 5th for Mononoke (loved it still) - been introducing the wife to Ghibli bit by bit. Beautiful movies with so much damn heart.

SIP

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 September, 2017, 11:46:21 AM
Quote from: SIP on 19 September, 2017, 10:39:54 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 September, 2017, 10:16:48 AM
Quote from: SIP on 18 September, 2017, 07:09:33 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 18 September, 2017, 04:58:03 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 18 September, 2017, 10:04:09 AM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 September, 2017, 02:40:08 AM
Yes, Al Pacino was in Jack and Jill

So very confused now, 'cos that was pretty funny.

And don't forget Scent Of A Woman!
Scent Of A Turd, more like!
How Pacino bagged an Oscar for this and not Carlito's Way is just one of life's unfathomable mysteries!

Tsk, how can you not like scent of a woman?

It's absolute mawkish drivel and Pacino hams it unbearably!

Nah, it's great. Nothing wrong with a bit of sentiment.

There is when it's so poorly executed, but each to their own.  ;)

To be fair, it's sort of widely regarded as being a good film, so don't feel the need to fight my corner too hard here.

But as you say, each to their own.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 September, 2017, 09:56:54 PM
Hateful Eight - taken me a while to get around to this, stumbling across it in a charity shop this week put a end to that, which is a shame (my delay)  as I think its one that would have well served by seeing on the big screen. Loved the supposedly over long beginning, which provided a wonderful panoramic contrast to the tight claustrophic secomd 2/3s.

All the typical Tarintino things are there, but since I love a Tarintino film no great lose there!

I just bought that one for a 2 for a tenner deal at Asda! It was the original film of IT that caught my eye, leading me to search around for another to reap the £10 deal*. I've never seen The Hateful Eight, so took a chance on this, but seeing on the read-up it was a Tarantino film (and largely liking his films) I thought, why not?

Anyway, glad you like it. Seems likely I will too.

*The irony isn't lost on me that these deals actually cause me to spend more than I would usually have done. It's all very psychological, isn't it? £8.00 for one film (not bad deal really) or just £2.00 more to get another film as well that I probably wouldn't buy otherwise.

Professor Bear

Five - post-apocalyptic drama by Lights Out! creator Arch Oboler.  Up the thread somewhere, I suggested that the makers of the latest Z For Zachariah adaptation were making another film entirely, and I suspect it was this one.  Light on biblical allegory where Z was leaden, Five basically covers the same ground but in a more interesting way by recasting the serpent in the Garden Of Eden as a French person who is racist and lazy.  Okay, there's a bit more to it than that and the year it was made (1951) precludes it drawing on traditional B-reel features and pulp roots for inspiration (it's credited as the first post-apocalyptic American movie), so it looks to other sources, the most obvious being the debt the fatalistic ending owes to The Grapes Of Wrath.
"Enjoyable" is possibly not the word I am looking for here, but it is a curiosity for fans of the PA genre, devoid as it is of seemingly any fantastic elements beyond the premise itself.

dweezil2

IT was seriously underwhelming and, maybe more surprising, pretty dull.  :-\
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: dweezil2 on 22 September, 2017, 06:14:25 PM
That is exactly how I saw it.
I was so bored throughout.
Jump scares and nothing else.
I appreciate that anyone who is 15, or has that mental age, might enjoy it but for me It was a major disappointment.

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 22 September, 2017, 06:23:24 PM
I appreciate that anyone who is 15, or has that mental age, might enjoy it but for me It was a major disappointment.

I entirely agree with your assessment!  :thumbsup:

Dandontdare

For me it's definitely one I'd only watch if it came on TV and I had nothing more pressing to do ... and yet it seems to be absolutely smashing the box office - apparently it's "well on the way to becoming the biggest horror movie of all time at the UK box office"

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: dweezil2 on 22 September, 2017, 06:29:31 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 22 September, 2017, 06:23:24 PM

I entirely agree with your assessment!  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Mardroid

Hmm. It's* curious, that It is largely disliked by viewers here, considering how well it's doing. That being said, I've seen negative views elsewhere too, although overall it seems to have done well.

I'm still looking forward to watchig it next week.

I picked up the earlier 90s adaptation recently, and I've been watching that. I know it has it's detractors, (it is a bit cheesy in places) but I think it holds up pretty well. I remember finding the scene with Beverley in the old lady's flat genuinely creepy. My older hardened self is less affected, but it's still a great scene. And there's the infamous blood sink splatter earlier...

Bill's wife's accent is driving me a bit nuts though. Is that supposed to be English? What with my recent viewing of American Horror Story: Roanoke, I seem to be plagued with dodgy English accents lately.

*No cheap rubbish pun intended.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 September, 2017, 03:33:34 PM
Hmm. It's* curious, that It is largely disliked by viewers here, considering how well it's doing. That being said, I've seen negative views elsewhere too, although overall it seems to have done well.

Similar to the TV series back in the day, the film's a very mainstream version of the story made to appeal to the broadest of audiences. Chase Palmer & Cary Fukunaga's version of the screenplay was much closer to the tone of the book and presumably would've had some of the True Detective vibe if it had made it to the screen.

Mattofthespurs

Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
6/10 (just).
Overlong, reliant on too many slow motion gun fights with groovy music (I especially like the country and western version of Word Up). There is a lot wrong with it but it does have some charm. On the other hand I find it's basic premise difficult to agree with actually siding with the President on this one.
And there is a fair proportion is misogynistic script writing in the film that made me a tad uncomfortable and makes me wonder whether Vaughn slipped it in there (yes, yes, I know) when Jane Goldman wasn't looking or that she just let her principles slide for this one (I'm looking at you Glastonbury scene).
Nowhere near as charming and endearing as the first in the series but still a film watch and forget and far too long.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 September, 2017, 03:33:34 PM

I'm still looking forward to watchig it next week.

I picked up the earlier 90s adaptation recently, and I've been watching that. I know it has it's detractors, (it is a bit cheesy in places) but I think it holds up pretty well. I remember finding the scene with Beverley in the old lady's flat genuinely creepy. My older hardened self is less affected, but it's still a great scene. And there's the infamous blood sink splatter earlier...

Bill's wife's accent is driving me a bit nuts though. Is that supposed to be English? What with my recent viewing of American Horror Story: Roanoke, I seem to be plagued with dodgy English accents lately.

*No cheap rubbish pun intended.

I re-watched the 90's It the other day on blu ray. The first half, the children's half still stands up very well whilst the second half drags and is marred with some over the top performances and a pretty bad monster imo.

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 24 September, 2017, 04:23:43 PM
Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
6/10 (just).
Overlong, reliant on too many slow motion gun fights with groovy music (I especially like the country and western version of Word Up). There is a lot wrong with it but it does have some charm. On the other hand I find it's basic premise difficult to agree with actually siding with the President on this one.
And there is a fair proportion is misogynistic script writing in the film that made me a tad uncomfortable and makes me wonder whether Vaughn slipped it in there (yes, yes, I know) when Jane Goldman wasn't looking or that she just let her principles slide for this one (I'm looking at you Glastonbury scene).
Nowhere near as charming and endearing as the first in the series but still a film watch and forget and far too long.

Got to say, I found the first film pretty puerile (and not even in a knowing way) nonsense, so not in a rush to see the reportedly even worse sequel.
Thanks for warning though.  :)

von Boom

Logan. A hot, dusty, and gritty film. Realism in super hero stories taken to it's logical conclusion. I'll watch it again, but not any time soon.