Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Litter.

It doesn't seem as much of a problem in Britain as it is here in Ireland, but fecking hell, it gets my goat.  I'm a bit of a bleeding-heart liberal about most things, but I really wish Dredd was around to give a mandatory 7 days' cubetime to any filthy, inconsiderate scumbag who thinks it's ok to fuck up the country that they so often claim to love so much.
Actually, three weeks' community service would be better.  Guess which community service I'd have the dirtballs in question doing. 

I know the pollution caused by industry and traffic is far greater, but still, discarded litter really, really grinds, as you say, my gears.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Yeah, litter is the one thing that brings out my inner Dredd,  fly-tipping even more so.  When I see it, 'it's knee-poppin' time' as the great man might say.

More seriously, littering speaks of such an utter disconnect between an individual and their world that it actually makes me sad.  It seems either to represent a complete surrender to 'them', the powers-that-be that will come and clean it up for you and order your existence to their specifications, or an utter obliviousness to the impact of your own actions as an individual in creating the human world.  Either way, it's a tragedy that goes beyond nappies strewn along the bus-lane.

radiator

Hmm, yes, I'd have to agree. There's no excuse for it.

QuoteIt seems either to represent a complete surrender to 'them', the powers-that-be that will come and clean it up for you

You see this a lot in the cinema - when the lights go up there's invariably popcorn and drinks cups all over the shop. Certain people seem to think that just because someone is employed to clean an area, it's totally fine to just throw whatever crap they want on the floor.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 15 April, 2014, 07:03:19 PM
You see this a lot in the cinema - when the lights go up there's invariably popcorn and drinks cups all over the shop.

I went too far the other way - I spilled this entire bucket of popcorn during the opening bits of Beowulf and spent the majority of the film painstakingly picking it all back up, putting it back in the bucket and then putting the bucket in the bin.....

So I didn't really miss out there I don't think.

von Boom

I hate smokers who flick out their butt ends out of their windows while driving. I mean, really, can't you just use your ashtray and clean it out at home. Also don't drive around with the end of your cigarette out of the window so the rest of us have to be afflicted by your disgusting habit. Roll up your window.

mogzilla

people who pull out on you at junctions then slow the feck down to a crawl..

and taking my daughter to buy any sort of footwear!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

radiator

People who don't understand the concept of editing, so upload several thousand uninteresting, poorly-lit, out of focus and just plain bad pictures of their holiday/night out or especially their children on facebook, along with one or two good ones.

People who decide to 'get into photography' and before doing any practice or research immediately go out and buy an expensive camera, assuming that doing so will magically enable them to take good pictures. The kind of people who see a nice picture and ask the photographer 'What camera did you use?' as if that alone is what it takes to take good photos.

Even worse are 'fauxtographers' - people who buy a DSLR and set up shop as a 'professional' photographer, advertise their services online, and drastically undercut actual trained photographers and take terrible pictures for gullible idiots.

I'm not a photographer btw - I'm just someone who uses facebook.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 15 April, 2014, 09:55:00 PM
People who decide to 'get into photography' and before doing any practice or research immediately go out and buy an expensive camera, assuming that doing so will magically enable them to take good pictures.

That's a rite of passage when learning to be a photographer.

maryanddavid

Litter gets on my goat too, I live in the country, along a little road that's popular with walkers, really nice scenery etc. Every couple of week you get the bin bags fired in the ditch.
There have been several court cases out of it, stupid fu*kers leaving letters with their addresses in the bags.
To be fair the council have been good at clearing and setting up small cameras in particular black spots. Whats more frustrating is I spotted a television fired along the road, you can leave these at any electrical shop and get it recycled for free. Morons.

radiator

Almost as obnoxious is spitting or phleming in the street.

I long for a future where a fleet of small hovering drones float around and DNA test gob on the pavement, then hunt down the perpetrator and deliver an extremely painful electric shock to them.

Same for dog owners who don't clean up after their dog.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 15 April, 2014, 10:54:32 PM
I long for a future where a fleet of small hovering drones float around and DNA test gob on the pavement, then hunt down the perpetrator and deliver an extremely painful electric shock to them.

If only there were a comic that catered for people like us!

(I agree on all counts).

mogzilla

People who don't understand the concept of editing, so upload several thousand uninteresting, poorly-lit, out of focus and just plain bad pictures of their holiday/night out or especially their children on facebook, along with one or two good ones.

People who decide to 'get into photography' and before doing any practice or research immediately go out and buy an expensive camera, assuming that doing so will magically enable them to take good pictures. The kind of people who see a nice picture and ask the photographer 'What camera did you use?' as if that alone is what it takes to take good photos.

Even worse are 'fauxtographers' - people who buy a DSLR and set up shop as a 'professional' photographer, advertise their services online, and drastically undercut actual trained photographers and take terrible pictures for gullible idiots.

I'm getting back into the hobby after many years away.i used to work in a chain of photo shops up t'north and the snobbery from the staff! cos I used a crappy tank like zenith and they all had the Nikons but my black and whites seriously outshone their snapshots which would probably end up on facebook had it existed back then..i have upgraded to a praktika only for the metal shutter as oppsed to the fabric shutter curtain on the Russian tank...mmmm  m42 screw threads!!!! :D
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Trout

Yes, to all of that. I am a photographer (it says reporter/photographer on my business card!) and I hate it when people ask me techy questions about cameras so they can sound clever. Just start with a good idea and find a way to make it happen. You don't need to spend a ton of money on equipment to get good results.

radiator

Trout

I quite like the one with the giant bride.  :lol: