Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 February, 2015, 10:39:04 AM
meandering book is. But I thought Mr Mercedes was superb, tight storytelling.

That's good to hear - I have that one lined up.  Again though, I do like to gorge on a good sprawling book sometimes, if the writing itself is easy, and while King can sometimes fluff the ending, his getting there is always good.  Something like 11-22-63 was far more interesting for its endless subplots of putting on school revues in '50s smalltown America and strange crossovers with the Derry books than for its rather weak reveal.  His descriptions of milkshakes gave Stephenson's legendary Cap'n Crunch chapter a run for its money.

Theblazeuk

The endless part got me. Subplots are fine but by god wrap them up at some point.

radiator

Every single time I have a break from work and am going away somewhere (as is the case this weekend) I immediately, like clockwork, come down with a cold.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time!!!!!!!!

Jim_Campbell

...When a book you really enjoyed working on gets a (deservedly) great review and the reviewer systematically goes through enthusing about every element of the comic, and what each contributor has brought to it. Except the letterer. Who isn't even listed in the fucking credits.

Bah.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 February, 2015, 09:50:32 PM
...the letterer. Who isn't even listed in the fucking credits.

But sure isn't that all done by computers these days anyway? Presumably the writer types up the dialogue and the artist just cuts and pastes it into the little pictures. Here's a handy tip: ctrl-c to copy, ctrl-v to paste, and bingo! You're all lettered!

I actually feel terrible now.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 20 February, 2015, 10:05:10 PM
But sure isn't that all done by computers these days anyway?

Yes. Yes, it is.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Sorry to hear that Radiator, sounds psychosomatic. Bummer. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

radiator

I definitely think there's a biological reason for it - I spend intense periods working where I'm literally too busy to get ill, then as soon as I have time off and relax, my immune system does too and all of a sudden I have a cold. It's bloody annoying and really takes a lot of the fun out of my scarce holidays. Im sure it's not just me this happens to?

The Legendary Shark

Jim and I don't see eye to eye on lots of things but on this I'm with him 100%. Bad lettering can kill a story stone dead and good lettering is a joy.
When one reads a good novel the words are practically invisible - only standing out when they don't work or are clumsy (my pet-hates are things like "had had" and "that that" - awful, awful writing). When the writing works it just goes into your head virtually unnoticed.
I should therefore take the fact that you weren't mentioned as a great complement - you have done your job to perfection and made the lettering 'invisible.'
That said, it still sucks not to get a mention.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 20 February, 2015, 10:52:54 PM
I definitely think there's a biological reason for it - I spend intense periods working where I'm literally too busy to get ill, then as soon as I have time off and relax, my immune system does too and all of a sudden I have a cold. It's bloody annoying and really takes a lot of the fun out of my scarce holidays. Im sure it's not just me this happens to?

This is a pretty well known phenomena and is a sign that you're working too hard or have too much stress.

Hawkmumbler

I've read enough bad manga scanlation to appreciate a good letterer. The less Duwangs their are in the world the better.

Hawkmumbler

Katie Hopkins. She grinds me gears. Bitter faced bitch.

And, though she has since shuffled off the mortal coil, Joan Rivers pissed me off also.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 23 February, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
Katie Hopkins. She grinds me gears. Bitter faced bitch.

She is the embodiment of click-bait. I'm very good at avoiding Online Sensationalist Bullshit, but That Woman keeps worming her way into my news feeds. Don't feed the trolls.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Someone just shared someone else's photo of a close-up picture of a baby breastfeeding on facebook, along with a painfully self-righteous comment about how facebook took it down for being 'indecent', and that we should all share it as some kind of protest.

Now, I can sort of see what they're trying to say, but I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here. I don't think breastfeeding is indecent or offensive - I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I saw a woman doing it in public - but that doesn't mean I want to see close-up pictures of it on my timeline.

Bugs the hell out of me when people just instinctively share these things to show everyone else how liberal and open-minded they are without stopping to actually think it through. Just because something isn't indecent doesn't mean that it's something people want to see, or should be shared.

Tiplodocus

Plus, I'll bet FACEBOOK never really took it down.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!