Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 March, 2015, 05:43:50 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 March, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
2 chevrons people! 2 chevrons!

I thought you needed all seven locked if you wanted to get anywhere interesting...?

Cheers

Jim

This is the only comment I understand and agree with.
You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

The organs who are tasked with keeping us in a perpetual state of uncertainty, ignorance and anger are well funded by our masters evidently. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

radiator

Drink snobs.

I just don't buy into this myth that there's this enormous gulf in taste and quality between a coffee from Starbucks and one from the poncey coffee shop down the road. It's just a cup of coffee at the end of the day. It has literally three ingredients. In my experience, the main difference is you don't have to wait for 20mins for your drink in Starbucks.

Also people that say this is a 'girly' drink, this is a 'manly' drink, 'this beer tastes like gnat's piss etc'. There's a time and a place for most drinks is there not? It's just a pointless division, and I don't get why some people get so worked up about it.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

McDonalds does better coffee than Starbucks.
You may quote me on that.

sheridan

Quote from: Banners on 10 March, 2015, 10:01:27 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 March, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
2 chevrons people! 2 chevrons!

Is it that frickin' hard?

Indeed it is – this always confuses me. Specifically, does it mean...

a) leave the distance between two chevrons between you and the car in front

b) make sure you can see two chevrons between you and the car in front

...ie. do the two chevrons concerned include the chevron you're on?

The following sign would be the view from the cockpit of the the car in b):

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 12 March, 2015, 12:01:34 AM
I just don't buy into this myth that there's this enormous gulf in taste and quality between a coffee from Starbucks and one from the poncey coffee shop down the road. It's just a cup of coffee at the end of the day. It has literally three ingredients. In my experience, the main difference is you don't have to wait for 20mins for your drink in Starbucks.

I'm not a coffee snob by any stretch of the imagination,* but I can tell the difference between the coffee from Costa (horrible) and Caffe Nero (noticeably less horrible). Someone bought me some Starbucks-branded ground coffee which was pretty much undrinkable compared to the fair trade Colombian stuff I usually drink.

So, yeah, there is a difference, although I have no idea whether the entirely subjective criteria on which I'm judging that difference bears any relation to whether the coffee is 'better' or 'worse'.

Cheers

Jim

*I love coffee, but caffeine disagrees with me so I drink one cup of coffee a day and figure it might as well be a good one.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Quote from: sheridan on 12 March, 2015, 07:35:51 AM

The following sign would be the view from the cockpit of the the car in b):

Surely the sign represents the view if both cars in example a) move forward a bit?

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 12 March, 2015, 12:01:34 AM
Drink snobs.

Also people that say this is a 'girly' drink, this is a 'manly' drink, 'this beer tastes like gnat's piss etc'. There's a time and a place for most drinks is there not? It's just a pointless division, and I don't get why some people get so worked up about it.

I think a lot of it is just a fashion thing. In the early 90s everyone wanted to be caffeine-free - Coke even brought out a caffeine-free variety in a gold can. No one cares about that now though - caffeine-free is for wimps and the more hyper-strong and caffeined up your coffee is the tougher you are and the harder you work. Now the biggest drink brands are Starbucks and Red Bull.

Daveycandlish

Surely you can taste a difference? Or is it just the fashionable drinking side you don't get?
That, I can understand. But to say every cup of coffe tastes the same is like saying there is no difference between pints of ale or two types of chocolate. Every brand is different; you can't tell me you can't taste a difference between a Hershey bar and Dairy Milk?!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 March, 2015, 07:50:01 AM
I'm not a coffee snob by any stretch of the imagination,* but I can tell the difference between the coffee from Costa (horrible) and Caffe Nero (noticeably less horrible). Someone bought me some Starbucks-branded ground coffee which was pretty much undrinkable compared to the fair trade Colombian stuff I usually drink.

Huh. In terms of sheer taste I find Costa the best by miles, Nero a close second, but Starbucks utterly vile.

And as for whoever said the coffee was better in MacDonalds, their McCoffee has to be the all-time-worst I've ever had! Horses for courses.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 March, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
Huh. In terms of sheer taste I find Costa the best by miles, Nero a close second, but Starbucks utterly vile.

I've only been in a couple of Costas and both times I've found the coffee to be bitter and have an unpleasant aftertaste. Could be I've been unlucky, could be the staff in those particular branches aren't so diligent about keeping the equipment clean, but I won't buy another coffee from them given any kind of choice.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

See, that's been exactly my expierience of Starbucks - really bitter with an awful aftertaste.
@jamesfeistdraws

JamesC

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 12 March, 2015, 12:02:52 PM
Surely you can taste a difference? Or is it just the fashionable drinking side you don't get?
That, I can understand. But to say every cup of coffe tastes the same is like saying there is no difference between pints of ale or two types of chocolate. Every brand is different; you can't tell me you can't taste a difference between a Hershey bar and Dairy Milk?!

It depends how much you drink. I probably buy a coffee about once every three months and as far as I'm aware they all taste like a generic strong coffee. I'm sure if I drank more I'd notice the differences between brands but I'd have to drink it at least a couple of times a week.

Tiplodocus

Plus do they pay taxes?

Anyway, I try to keep a distance of two cehvrons from the car in front.  But I nearly killed myself the other day trying to keep two chevrons between me and Jeremey Clarkson driving a Ferrari.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 March, 2015, 12:40:40 PM
Plus do they pay taxes?

Anyway, I try to keep a distance of two cehvrons from the car in front.  But I nearly killed myself the other day trying to keep two chevrons between me and Jeremey Clarkson driving a Ferrari.

:lol: