Main Menu

DC comics

Started by Smith, 20 April, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 July, 2017, 05:15:24 AM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 26 July, 2017, 11:23:02 PM
The Goddamn cover, man.

. . . And apologies for my Goddamn grumpy attempt at humour.
I figured that part out.I just dont think Frank Miller is the right man for the job.

Apestrife

Regarding Superman: Year one. It has John Romita JR, and I think Miller wrote an interesting take on Superman in The Master Race. When reading it's ending, my first thought was how much I'd like to read more of Miller's Superman. And I'v enjoyed reading him as a punching bag throughout the DK universe.

DKMR even has a panel which can be read as an apology from Miller on how he wrote Superman, and the influence that may have had.

That said. I'm carefully optimistic on how the Superman year one book will turn out.

Link Prime

I'd be inclined to give 'Superman: Year One' a go.
Miller (and Azzarello) turned in a pretty decent story for DKIII.

Regarding the upcoming DC / Batman 'Metal' event, I've decided against it, despite the creative team involved.
I read both 'The Forge' and 'The Casting' one-shots, and was left unimpressed.
My affinity for (and knowledge of) DC continuity isn't gold standard, and I couldn't really care less about Hawkman or Duke.

Looks like I'll have some further gaps in the pull list once All Star Batman (finishes with issue 15) and Bane Conquest (finishes with issue 12) conclude.

I like the idea that DC will be producing stand-alone Batman graphic novels in the future (with larger '2000AD' size paper). Should be good for the occasional spandex fix.

Otherwise, my personal Twilight of the Superheroes continues.

Link Prime

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 July, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
When reading it's ending, my first thought was how much I'd like to read more of Miller's Superman.

Yes, agreed.

Colin YNWA

I should be, I really should I used to always give anything Kirbyesque a go at least. Didn't get The Bug and haven't yet got to this... Though I still might, you hear such good things about The Visions.

Greg M.

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 July, 2017, 03:24:31 PM
Anyone else stoked for Tom King's Mr Miracle? Out 9th of August.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

Interesting interview, cheers for that. I'm not sure if King's vision (pun not intended) for Mr. Miracle will necessarily chime with the way I see the character, but I certainly intend to give the comic a try.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 July, 2017, 05:16:35 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 27 July, 2017, 03:24:31 PM
Anyone else stoked for Tom King's Mr Miracle? Out 9th of August.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

Interesting interview, cheers for that. I'm not sure if King's vision (pun not intended) for Mr. Miracle will necessarily chime with the way I see the character, but I certainly intend to give the comic a try.

Regretfully I didn't bother with Mr. Miracle #1, but it seems I should have.
Haven't seen this much critical acclaim in a long long time. A Comixology purchase is always an option I suppose.
Any update from forumites who have read it?

Greg M.

I forgot to buy it. If I'm honest, all the raving about it started to put me off - "Tom King's Mr. Miracle has redefined comics!"  If it is indeed a good book, it doesn't need saddled with that kind of hyperbole. I still intend to give it a go though.

Colin YNWA

Wow yeah starting to go for silly money. Mind figure if we wait for a bit things will calm down... they often do. Sometimes don't of course!

As for the critical acclaim it's so often ott. I always reflect on Saga which is a great but not as special as some would have you believe.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 August, 2017, 11:55:11 AM
As for the critical acclaim it's so often ott. I always reflect on Saga which is a great but not as special as some would have you believe.

I genuinely find that the best barometer is this forum*- will await some further musings from my fellow Squaxx.

*Regarding comics / movies / video games. For all other topics yer a bunch of yahoos.

JamesC

Has anybody read any of METAL yet?
I thought The Forge and The Casting were both good fun. I'm looking forward to seeing Hawkman again too.

Apestrife

I really liked Mister Miracle #1. Gave me some good Kirby vibes, and without any kitsch. Awesome art. It's only one issue in, but I have a very good feeling about this book.

Zarjazzer

A visit to that Lahndahn tahn and I'm in Forbidden Planet. I got some DC stuff as i haven't read any for ages  Batman Detective Comic 957 and Dark Nights Metal 1 and Batman 29. (Also BPRD cos i always enjoy it despite it being- big  monster(s) that kills almost everyone then some one turns up who can blast it.)

DC were good but in BDC 957 Bats hardly appears it concerns a vigilante (quick phone Justice dept Judge Pal) called um,Spoiler.... The best was Batman 29 "The War of Jokes and Riddles 4" -where Bruce Wayne has dinner with all his enemies. This unusual premise worked very well and great art helped.

Metal 1...cost a bomb as I picked up foolishly the mucho expenso alt-cover copy (doh!), but stuck with it anyway when I realised my error. The beginning did not bode well a gladiatorial contest ending in the heroes (Justice League I think Bats, Supes, WW, Cyborg,Flash, Aqua and GL) [spoiler]becoming a *gasp*transformer?[/spoiler]

Anyway things improved but Snyder does love to leap around the universe with none of those pesky establishing shots or CAPS explaining like alot of comic book writers do. this can be confusing to decrepit readers like myself.

anyway basically there;s a big bad on the way and his name is[spoiler] Pusscat! (no actually it's Barbatos)[/spoiler]

Not terrible with lush Capullo art but is it worth 8.99? Not for this reader.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Smith

https://www.newsarama.com/42603-flash-zagor-launching-crossover-series-with-dc-comics-and-italy-s-sergio-bonelli-editore-in-2019.html
DC is doing a few crossovers with Sergio Bonelli.I can see some potential,but sadly,I don't really see an American audience.