Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

So, let me get this straight - you think that the compositor was given the tacit OK by Lionsgate to stick a crappy quality letterboxed version of an unfinished shot on his reel, in the hope that it would get picked up?

And then he would have to explain to any new potential employer that he doesn't really make a habit of sticking unfinished, unreleased work on his reel and he can be trusted?

Isn't a more plausible explanation that he's just naive, rather than some elaborate viral?

Gonk

Quote from: norse_sage on 13 February, 2012, 02:50:37 PMFor an official campaign geared toward the general audience, true, there's no way they would do that.
But as a way of spreading the word that the movie won't pull any punches to the niche audience discussing movies on various online webforum, why not?

Unoffical spyshots and what not have a way of getting out, and so those that have made the rounds (like the fat stuntguy on the less than well recieved lawmaster) haven't done the movie any favours. But I would say that these new pictures and even clips have.

They've been making the rounds in all the usual places, Anderson looks good in all of them, Dredd looks good in at least one of them, and we've got two headshots. The movie is being discussed all over the place, not all good mind you, but it isn't being universally smalled either. For a movie with the history this one has, that is really as good as it gets.

I would say that the recent pictures and gifs have created more awareness and hype with niche audiences beyond the 2000AD crowd than any previously released still, interview or announcement combined. They've even turned some of the Stallone fans formerly trolling the Dredd imdb board into converts!

If indeed this was a random leak, it couldn't have worked out better for them even if they had planned it.
Which leads me to speculate that that was just what they did.

Well if that's their tactics it's backfired on them, because most of the comments so far on this forum have been mainly one of indifference and negativity to the new film. Just ask SmallBlueThing what he thinks of the film.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Goaty

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 February, 2012, 03:17:35 PM
So, let me get this straight - you think that the compositor was given the tacit OK by Lionsgate to stick a crappy quality letterboxed version of an unfinished shot on his reel, in the hope that it would get picked up?

And then he would have to explain to any new potential employer that he doesn't really make a habit of sticking unfinished, unreleased work on his reel and he can be trusted?

Isn't a more plausible explanation that he's just naive, rather than some elaborate viral?

No, it very likely he used some footage without their knowledge for the showreel.

As says many times on here, it not official.

Steve Green

Yes, I know. I was just astonished that people thought it might be a viral.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Any publicity is good publicity isnt it ? The shots that we have seen in this video arent lame by any standards, shows the grittyness, darkness and gutsier Dredd WE all want.

Regardless of what the "STALLONESMYDREDD-WANNABEES" want or say we will have our vision of DREDD and or near close to it im sure of that.

Never rub another mans rhubarb

radiator

The idea that they would deliberately leak that shot of the van - a vehicle which according to some may not actually be in the final film - and is by all accounts unfinshed - is utterly ridiculous.

vzzbux

Quote from: wonkychop on 13 February, 2012, 03:24:13 PM

Well if that's their tactics it's backfired on them, because most of the comments so far on this forum have been mainly one of indifference and negativity to the new film. Just ask SmallBlueThing what he thinks of the film.

From the last 20 pages in this thread. The freshly leaked photo's and footage has been mainly positive. Even swaying the on the fence boarders to some degree.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 February, 2012, 03:17:35 PMIsn't a more plausible explanation that he's just naive, rather than some elaborate viral?
I never considered any other possibility. There's no way in hell this is a viral—it's just some idiot who's made himself less employable.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 February, 2012, 03:50:04 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 February, 2012, 03:17:35 PMIsn't a more plausible explanation that he's just naive, rather than some elaborate viral?
I never considered any other possibility. There's no way in hell this is a viral—it's just some idiot who's made himself less employable.

Exactly!...He just boosted his portfolio by showing everybody in the business that he can't be trusted.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Goaty

That unoffical unfinished drawing for next 2000AD Dredd story here;

So that is example of you don't having to based your views of the Dredd film on untested and unfinished unoffical footage with few secs even old van. Again, just take chill pill!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Goaty on 13 February, 2012, 04:15:25 PM

That unoffical unfinished drawing for next 2000AD Dredd story here;

The helmet's too big and the pads are too small. This is going to be rubbish.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

James Stacey

ooh is Buttonman working on a new Dredd  ?

Toni Scandella

While I tentatively welcome that teaser piscure for the next Dredd story, I have to ask...

Is he returning to a Mk 1 Lawgiver, then?  I knew it mightn't as far in the future as we'd hoped, but such an old gun (designed in the 1970's!) being used in the next Dredd story is a taking things a bit too far!

weehawk

Ok, so, in the footage, is that Urban's voice or is it a soundbyte from Dredd VS Death?

bigjobs67

This is gonna sound mad but I'm a little disapointed to hear this. Hope its not too far removed from the 'Crappy' van used. And I REALLY hope that it's not a 'Hover' type vehicle like some kinda 'Batwing' thing.:-\
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!